1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Most irritating but funny habit of your MIL/FIL/SIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by charming, Jun 4, 2009.

1. parvathy19

parvathy19 New IL'ite

an episode to laugh. very funny
    i will contribute mine also
    first i must say i dont feel my MIL deeds funny i was dead scary first because for me this like behaviour was totally new.
    but as time passed and reading all these me too can accept it with big laugh
    at the initial days of marriage she dismissed the maid till i was there after i joined my husband abroad she found one.
    then whenever i was with her i used to sweep the floor morning and evening but when my fil arrive home my mil will come with a new broom and she will just shake the palm dust all over the floor and start sweeping with asigh she dont even know how to sweep
    i even got frustrated and cried first but now i can laugh loudly at this
    then when she was with me here i used to wash every utensils and kept on side
    but when my dh and fil is here she will start clean the utensils again with lot of sound and my fil will become mad at me
    then if i write the list will go on and on

2. suhaana

suhaana Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Nice thread. I have many such stories of my own MIL / FIl & SIL.

My MIL the kind who is still living in her past glory (hardly any glory in my opinion.)

She thinks that she is the most beautiful and sophisticated woman to have been born in the face of this earth and owning the most exquisite collection of sari's and she often eats out my ears bragging about it. Infact she's so overawed by her own beauty, she convinced herself into believing that all women around her, her cousin's and co-workers were jealous of her sari's.

From the day I've been married... I have literally been harassed by her self praises about how as her quoted by herself " Hum to apne time par badi ggggggggrrrrraaannndddd sarian pahanti the". ......oh my gwaad...did u guys hear that " ggrrraaannnddd!!!" :rotflHow behenji and ghati is that!!!

And with this self raving and ranting of hers one day she went so over the top when I told her that I had the chance to meet Shabana Aazmi during a press conference. To that she immediately jumped and said...." Jab Arth picture release hui thi na, tab har ek bande ne mujhe aake kaha tha.....Pammi tu Shabana ki tarah nahi balki Shabana Azmi teri tarah lagti hai" .....:rotflGilrs this dialouge was uttered 2 years ago and I'm still laughing .:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotflGawd some people have serious misconceptions about themselves.

My exp is similar to Paru...in my initial days on marriage she was in constant competition with me especially on the career front. Infact would take up every opportunity , every single day to declare and let me know what a superwoman she was where as she's worked as a mere clerk and retired as a junior officer in SBI all her life but would make it sound as if she was the chairperson or something. Since she was the first working lady in her family to be working and that too from the 60's era where women had just joined the Indian workforce. Good for her, but it's disgraceful when people get stalled in time.

Actually friends what I've realised over the last 3 & 1/2 years of my marriage is that this lady blows her own trumpet 24 X 7 cause she is somewhere highly complexed ( it's an inferiority complex). When I opened my trousseau, after seeing my sari's....trust me, I am not exaggerating that for the next 2 years, she's been bragging about her sari's, her beauty and what fantastic sari's she gave her daughter on her wedding, despite my SIL correcting her that her's weren't as exquisite as mine.

That's why such people keep bragging and boasting about themselves even when others are least interested in listening to them. Somewhere they are convincing themselves.

I just remembered a recent hilarious incident which happened a month back. Some of my DH's friends came over for the evening. While exchanging greetings my MIL suddenly got up and took out an old album and opened it up and said, " See bacchas, see, aapki aunty apni javani mein kaisi dikhti thi." And my hubby's friends just quietly stared at the album, stunned!! :bowdown

I rushed into the kitchen to laugh my lungs out. Some people can make such asses of themselves.

Have lots more but I guess these 2 are enough!!!

Love
    Suhaana

3. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

When i got married my MIL would stand with me in kitchen.She will give necessary things to cook i.e few vegetables,knife,plate.(I remember my craft teacher who gives necessary material & tell us whatever we want to do we can but she wil only monitor)With that i have to cook whatever she says only.I have no right in changing the menu.When my DH crosses the kitchen or stands there to drink water.She will start by saying 2 tablespoon sambar powder,1/2 cup toor dal etc etc.I was puzzled at the begining why all of a sudden she starts otherwise she is dead quiet.After noticing quiet a few times i found she only want to guide when my husband is around.
    I laugh around thinking she is silly:rotfl

When we were married our relatives called us for virundhu -a treat / dinner.Its usually for couples but my MIL & FIL would accompany always.
    One of his relative came home & called us.Before me & my DH could react my MIL jumped in & said we would come.His relative immediately replied I have invited only the newly wed not you.Hope my father gave you dinner.I used to think about it & laugh :rotfl

Irritating - one day she told her son she got 5 kg sugar from ration.My DH nodded his head.She continued saying im the one who have sugar most of the time........oh im a sweet baby :) but i swear 5 kg in 1 month is too much:bonk& she got only for me...

We usually board her whenever they go to native.When the train is about to leave she will cry,she will wipe & tell takecare of my son.....:hide:

I have never seen such a emotional drama,my DH too waits with water filled eyes & until the train reaches next station.Then he will proudly say my mom still thinks & takecare of my like a kid....(if that so is yours a child marriage???):rotfl

4. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

OMG! Had a hearty laugh......

My list is very big.So cant write here.

5. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

My inlaws most of their habbits are irrirating but not funny!
    The best part is my MIL happily spends her time from the time she gets up till she goes to bed, like she has her bath, go through the pooja routine, they have their lunch and breakfast on time infact enjoying each other's company, making calls to their relatives for unnessary gossib, even gossibing about me in whispers which I have heard many times.
    They thoroughly enjoy the comedy in TV and laugh so loundly I feel they would bring down the cieling any time, but at the end of the day
    we can hear her blabbering as to why she is living, its better to die than to live a life like this, and keeps blaming God as to why he is still keeping her alive. I cannot understand why she has to be so drepressed when she actually enjoying her life, '
    Freinds I have to hear this everyday, but now I just dont care for those
    words, for that matter no one cares, its like a recorded message for us.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  6. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

My in laws are pretty nice, that way. Perhaps, since I have lived with them only for a week after marriage, before coming to US:)

They don't irritate me unnecessarily and the few funny things that I have experienced, involve religious matters.

For eg, my MIL says buying 'black' clothes is not done in the family..in short, black is inauspisious. My mom also believed the same, but my mom did not mind us wearing/buying black, as long as it wasnt on any festival. In this family though, wearing black is alright bt I should just not buy it:spinWe however, do not pay heed..I have bought a lot of black clothes and we just dont tell them. My SIL in fact, purchased a completely black kurta for me and secretly presented me without her mom's knowledge:)

The other thing is, she will always let us know who isvisiting US and how we are related to them. I mean, she has a HUGE friends circle and my dh has no knowledge about thse people. She wll call him in the middle of the night at 3-4 AM and ask him to write down some phone number for us to contact those people since they are in US. I mean, many people come and go to US and why should we call them, is beyond me!! MY dh just told her one fine day, I am not going to call so and so. Since then she doent bug much..Its funny:)

7. ritikasingh

ritikasingh New IL'ite

Hey all,
    this is my first post... couln't really resist myself adding my experience with my MIL.. though there are many irritating-funny things about my mil.. but this one comes first in my mind:

Everytime I come back from shopping ( whether its grocery, or kids clothing, accessories..), once I am done emptying all the bags, she sneakily searches all the bags for the reciepts to see how much did I spend.. even if she has to check the trash can for that she does that...

i think, why can't she ask me directly rather than doing this...

.I used to find it so irritating in the beginning, but now I just laugh it off as somebody's desperation... have never really understood her intentions behind doing this.. btw, this happens only when I do any shopping... :)

8. SweetDreamz007

SweetDreamz007 Bronze IL'ite

Ladies, had loud laughs on all the responses. I might get upset with my in-laws but dont let it irritate me. I just take it easy and laugh it away... they know this about me and hence we have bonded very well.

I would like to share some sweet and funny things though:

My MIL: She is a working lady and loves to use the termiology we use in US when she and I talk. They do not really talk English unless it is with Superior but otherwise speak in the regional language on a daily basis. Like 'I went for grocery today while coming back from office'... guys c'mon 'grocery' in India... We still say 'Kirana item's ' when we go to India for visit. Also, she tries to use so many English words when she talks to me ... sdnt feel irritated but rather feel it nice that she tries to relate to me living in US .. I automatically smile when she starts her English talk....LOL

My FIL: He always forgets his wallet at home, especially when buying bigger items for home like TV, furtniture. My MIL just says 'ayyoo rama, again !! ' and takes out her wallet and cerdit cards. Coincidence or not its their problem. Great thing is when I go to India, the same day he hands me fresh and crispy money and tells me 'this is for you for your expenses, dont take moeny from your dad, I will give you more if you need'.. isnt that sweet.

He has been very very frugal all his life. But he built a 2 story huge house with the money he saved. My MIL had no idea until my FIL took her to the completed house one fine day. She was sooo surprised.... My last trip to India, I took some 'skin creams for mature skins' for my MIL. My FIL started using them and once when I was talking to my MIL, I could hear him whispering something about the face creams. My MIL just laughed and told me 'your FIL is looking like a Hero these days, is using up the face cream you sent and he says he wants more'. Well I sent few more with a friend of mine who was visiting shortly. I still have a hearty laugh when I remember that incident. Poor guy hardly spent money on his shaving soap all these years and is enjoying using an American made face cream ...

Will add more as I recollect ....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  9. abhitha

abhitha New IL'ite

A good thread to laugh at......
    I got married 3 months back.....The annoying acts of my dear MIL started even before our marriage.....Before marriage, once my DH took me to an antique shop and gifted me a jewellery....i selected that model....My DH has told this to my MIL....The shopowner is one of the friends of my MIL....The very next day she took my DH to that shop and has cancelled the order which i have placed and ordered for a new design and gave me on the day of marriage as her gift....Moreover i didnt like the design...She carried that piece of jewellery to every relative of hers and praised herself for selecting such a wonderful piece for me.......i really got irritated.....And she does similar things even now......

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009