Can we play rudram and chamakam at home

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by advitha, Jul 17, 2009.

1. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I have a doubt whether we play a rudram or chamakam CD at home. As of my knowledge goes rudram and chamakam are recited in homams or in temples only. Here in US I played couple times in CD, during those times we had some misunderstanding or the other, so I totally stopped playing the hymns at home. Any one have such experience? How about hearing vedic chanting audio?

-Uma

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009

2. eagle

eagle Bronze IL'ite

We do that all the time. i.e., playing vedic chants in CD. We also listen to Rudram/Chamakam on the CD player. Infact my father has been chanting them daily for the past 65+ years. We have a peaceful household. JMO

Regards
    Shobana

1 person likes this.
  3. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

hi advitha ,

it is better to leave playing it as it doesn't suit. many other chioces of slokas are there like lingastakam , bilvastakam etc ... we can play that.
    i also xperienced the same so i left playing it .......
    its all depend on individual's suitability i think!

4. bindukrishnan

bindukrishnan New IL'ite

Hi,
    Veda chantings are very powerful especially Rudram. They should not be played casually at home. Even learning from CDs are not advisable since it can lead to errors. In any case, ladies are not not supposed to chant Rudram and any Veda mantra with swaras (intonations).

Luv
    Bindu

5. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

I too play Rudram at times, though very less, its a new thing I got to know that it can cause rifts at home, one should try not playing and see how thigns go...

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I guess getting advise from local priest will be more appropriate. I feel he's more knowledgeable in such matters, no?

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

My husband chants Rudram/Chamakam so we do play it at home and in the car. Until now I have not found any issues specifically because of that. However if you believe it causes issues play something else.

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies.

Nandhu, generally priests are just fine with chanting rudram at home, but I doubt if they might comment anything on just playing and listening from CD. My dad have been playing vedic chants at home almost regularly and its just fine with them but I only feel a heaviness and some sort of mental collision if I play rudram or chamakam at home. I have sat and listened to the actual hymns of rudram done by my maternal uncle though.

For years now I have stopped playing rudram at home. But thinking to start playing vedic chants. I just play lingastakam and other shiva slokas like jyothirligam, shiva panchachara etc.

-Uma

9. bars62

bars62 Senior IL'ite

hi

we play everyday rudram and all other shukthams at home daily.my husband does everyday rudram abishekham before going to work.

till date we have not faced any problem due to that. in fact the last stanza of rudram says Oh Lord give me long life with good health . thraiambakam yajamahe suganthim pushtivardanam (pushti means healthy vardanam means body) .

chamakam also starts with sudhinam which means good day and chamakam is always about asking the Lord to give everything.

so to my knowledge, no shlokas can give bad vibes.

bars62
    bharathy

1 person likes this.
  10. SRISHAKTHI

SRISHAKTHI New IL'ite

Hi Bharathy,

I too agree. No slokam will bring a bad effect.

Slokas are a protective force to humans.

It instills a DIVINE presence around us.

All the best.