1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Share Our Feelings - Part 2

Discussion in 'Infants' started by meeta shah, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hey Sindhu, I am doing good. Just crazy busy at the moment with a lot of things going on. Sometimes I feel like I am running behind on things I want to accomplish in a day! But, better busy than having nothing to do, I say.

Meena, we would love to have you in this thread. Welcome!

Nitha, is Gymboree the same as gymnastics? We tried out a gymnastics class for Riya but it didn't fit in our schedule for now. I am thinking of starting either the gymnastics or the kindermusik in the fall.

Vanathi, how you feeling now? HOpe you are out of the blues. I'll post some pics of the yard soon. Unfortunately, the "before" pics that I have taken a while back are now lost. We must have deleted them off the camera by mistake. :(

Lavanya, how are things at your end? Seems like you are keeping busy too.

Riya has added some more new words and phrases in her vocab like "i am sorry", "suse me", "bicycle" and loves to sing the ABCD song, of course with help from us. :) I am loving this toddler stage and don't want it to end at all.

Raj

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Oh my, he's being testy, isn't he?! I would love to hear what advice you get, I can see this coming at our house soon too. Do you believe in time outs? That may work.

Raj

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanathi;
    As Raj said I too can forsee this "dialouge" in my house in a few couple of years. Maybe you can try telling him (when you both are in a good mood), that he is not supposed to talk like that. Maybe with a warning that if he repeats you would stop talking to him. Just my 2 cents.
    - Nitha

4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Raj and Meena;
    In the classes they put nursery rhymes in good volume and makes the kids play. There are lot of developmental toys which are pretty good, as they learn while they play. What I liked about it other than the bright playthings and perky instructors is the fact that Chinnu sees kids who are of her age group. Only when I took Chinnu to class I realized that Chinnu is a little "reserved" sort. Until then we both had thought she is an "extreme extrovert".
    Raj, Since Chinnu was in level 3 (10-16 months group), I am not sure what Gymboree offers to toddlers. I think whatever they are offering is pretty good, as I saw lots of toddlers swarming in to the room after Chinnu's classes got over.
    I am attaching the site address. Maybe you can enrol for the trial class for free and see if your LO likes it or not.
    Gymboree Play & Music is the global leader in age-appropriate classes for children 0-5 years. Play & Learn Classes, Music Classes, Art Classes, Sports Classes, Family Classes, School Skills
    - Nitha

5. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  6. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Ha Ha - there are times when I want to strangle my angelic 3.5 year old, I tell you.

Kidding aside, I think it is completely normal. He is just trying to assert his individuality and rebel (to see how far he can push the limits) P used to do this all the time - if I asked him to come here he would run to the opposite side, laughing. If I asked him to stop doing something saying "No", he would scream "Yes" and keep doing it.

My advice - if his behaviour is ignore-able, ignore it. It is just a phase. Decide what behaviour is unacceptable and be firm on that (eg: things that pose safety issues, brushing teeth, going to bed etc are non-negotiable). I would turn a deaf ear to P's clattering of my pots when I ask him to stop and he refuses and goes on (just because I asked him to stop) - in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if he clatters the pots 50 times. Don't make everything a big battle, for your own sanity's sake.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Sindhu, wise words. If it is something ignorable, just let the husband/other care takers tell him the same thing. When Kiran is angry with me - of late I have been a bit rough on him :hide: - he does tell "no, appa. amma dont vennam" I do tell him if he wants a break from me, he can go to appa, but appa will want him to do the same thing - which incidentally is a hint to appa that he better want to do the same thing ;-). I have started time outs for him, but am struggling to not make it a punishment but rather an opportunity to wind down and come back to amma. He is now giving himself corner times with his fav book for the last two days when he is screaming his head off and I cant understand.
    BTW, today was Kiran's first day in school. He gave a shy smile to the teacher, but went with her. We came back home to finish off some of the chores and went back in an hour to pick him up. He did rather well the first day - looks like he interacted with the adults better than the children, but there are a couple of parents whose kids do not seem to have melted down and were actually happy to stay in school. So he at least has positive peer influence. Hopefully the next days are going to be just as smooth.

8. kripa shankari

kripa shankari New IL'ite

hi guys
    going through tough times.
    my dear darling going to be 7 angel has grown horns.
    she does everything opp of what i say.
    i give her more time still she complains that i am partial to the younger one
    she is also falling sick often.

hi raj congrats on your new yard

hi v all i can say is ignore it as much as you can.
    it will pass.
    kids take time to let mom out of their strong holds
    it is their way of rebelling.
    i am answering to myself more than you
    saw latha's pics with chitvish...
    she looks like she has overcome her chennai fears.
    nice to see her happy after the way she was dreading seeing her in laws.

tikka sorry about your family losses.
    time is the only healer.
    i lost both my grandmas back to back within a year in 2003.
    my uncle passed away ayear after that.
    it was very difficult to digest.
    even today i cannot believe they are no more.
    life moves on,but you still miss them bad.
    love and hugs to you.

waiting for the school to reopen next wek
    luv
    krips

9. chaitusri

chaitusri Silver IL'ite

Hi frds!:hiya

I would love to join with all of you to share the happy feelings.

Myself M/o an eight months old son(Sep 6th) named Sathvik.

My first sharing with you is Sathvik is crawling from yesterday and I am enjoying his feats in trying to catch up the surrounding things :)

Have a nice day frds

10. meena_arun

meena_arun Senior IL'ite

Thank you Frens for your warm welcome.

Vanathi, I am into the IT now. But thinking of taking a break for quiet some time (close to a year or so) and after that I thot that i can continue to work if i wish to at that point in time. But taking a decision to quit the job is a lot lot tougher I should say. I have been going back and forth on the decision for quiet some time. Then it was my DH who convinced me that it is ok to quit the job and be with kutty Pranav.

Nitha, thanks much for posting info on the Gymboree classes. Hope to leave Pranav in any such classes in the future. But can mothers also stay along with the kids at those classes and see what our kids are doing?

Tikka, Good to hear that ur lil one likes going to school.

chaitusri, Good to know that your son Sathvik is crawling. Congratulations to your lil one. I am waiting for my son to do all those things. My son Pranav was born on Oct 1 and just turned 8 months. But still he is not crawling. He is sitting without support only for a couple of minutes and then falls back...waiting for him to acheive all the feats :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.