PCOS- Metformin hydrochloride 500 mg

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by prettywomen123, Sep 10, 2008.

1. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

hi all,

Thanks for your wishes and support. Thanks to Vasumathy and Anitha who have been answering all my doubts and questions patiently however dumb my questions were.

Thanks to all others who have wished me. God willing I am hoping everything would go well. I am just waiting for them to call me for the scan. Yes I am happy Metformin alone worked. I have been asked to stop Metformin as my doc thinks I am already 12 weeks. She dint ask me to continue. She asked me to stop all medicines and take follic acid that comes with all other vitamins and nutrients. So going by the flow, though scared still coping with it. Yes I have heard about gestational diabetics. So I am quite careful and stopped consuming chocolates all together. Just having cranberry and pomegranate juices that has little sugar since it cleans away any impurities.I cant eat anything since I vommit. The only thing I have is curd rice and have a gongura pickle with it. All other foods give me vommiting.

I will keep posting my updates as and when any progress is made.

Thanks all:)

Regards
    S

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi S,
    You are welocmed to ask any questions! Whether its silly or reasonable, its not mattered! Just clarify your doubs here....

Eat healthy food.
    Relax first. Your tension will pass to your child. Try to be happy. You have a wonderful gift within you. Take care of it.
    Pray to GOD. Think that nothing will go wrong. Be confident.
    Cheer up.... :)

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Congrats! You must be so excited but scared at the same time! Ahh those days of the first pregnancy .. each second is worth remembering.

Generally metformin is safe till end of 1st trimester. If your doc suspects GD or you have high fasting blood sugars, they will then switch you to insulin or another oral medication such as glyburide. my doc put me on glyburide but I will def. recommend using insulin instead.

4. Sunflower143

Sunflower143 New IL'ite

Hi Prettywomen123,
    Congrats dear.....So happy to heard that u r pregnant....Take healthy food and dont be so tensed...just relax....everything will be fine...

5. prettywomen123

H Ladies,

Thanks all for your wishes and advice. I've stopped Metformin as per gyneac advice. I am still waiting for the scan.When I called the NHS yesterday they told me it could take a few weeks since they have no adequate staff..bizzare.. If they find more scan staff then they would send me a letter inviting for scan and for appointment with midwife.

I have to wait no other go. I am getting slight pain a pricking feeling in the tummy today.I thought nausea left me but its back again along with burps everynow and then due to continuos gastric issues.I am continuing the diet plan,taking fruits veggies diet going along..

Regards
    S

6. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi S,

Congrats on your pregnancy !

Yeah I know the pain of getting appointment from NHS , Its very tedious.But dont worry nausea and burp are very common in early stage of pregnancy.By the by you are from which part of UK?

7. prettywomen123

Thanks vasuma. Yeah I called them up today and they put me through various departments and finally said they could give me a slot on next wednesday morning. So got that booked. I live in south west london.

Thanks
    S

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi S,
    Good to hear about your appointment. Hope your confusions will end with it!
    Take care. Eat healthy!

9. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

Re: Metformin tablets

HO 2000MG IS A PRETTY high dosage. my dr. first asked me to take 50mg. gradually she increased the dosage.. now i take 850mg.night only. even i had diarrhea. but my advice is not to stop it. initially i even lot weight. but now no more.

10. RamRaj

RamRaj New IL'ite

Re: Metformin tablets

Hi,
    I am also on metformin. initially i was given 500mg (2 times a day) and my doc then increased it to 3 times a day. Guess the dosage varies per requirements of each person. The best way to avoid stomach discomfort during met is to stick to a low fat & low carb diet. This will also help in weight reduction.