Question on dristi procedure

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by BeeAmma, Dec 31, 2008.

1. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Can anyone explain the procedure for the drishti process? This is to neutralize the effects of the evil eye. In tamil it is termed as "drishti chuttharudhu". I have seen 2 variations one involving salt, the other involving red chillies and pepper. I am looking for more specifics such as which days it can be performed and the procedure. This is for my child.

Thanks

2. Thangakkodam

Thangakkodam New IL'ite

if it is for child, take a handful of kal uppu and close your hands. let the child sit facing east. then you can do the dhrishti kazhithal silently. afterwards, put the salt in a basin of water for getting dissolved. nobody should touch the basin or the water. keep it in a corner. the next day morning you can wash it out in sink. it can be a disposable cup. or you can keep exclusively a plastic mug for this purpose.

miligai vathal nedi kuzhandhaikku thaangathu

3. Thanam

Thanam New IL'ite

Hi,
    How can we do the dristhi for adults? I understand that there is a direction to move around the person. Can anyone explain the procedure?
    Thanam

4. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

U can also dispose the kalluppu in the wash basin then & there,open the tap & not look back.

5. Hemakamya

Hemakamya New IL'ite

hi,
    my grandmom used to say, only people elder to you can do it for you..like mother or grandmother for children. same goes for adults also.
    sit facing east, taking kalluppu in both hands, start with right hand (left to right) 3 times , then left hand (right to left ) 3 times, both hands with palms closed from head to toe 3 times. throw it into running water(these days we throw it in the sinkand wash the tap down.
    also for children we , show karpoora aarathi. ( red water with a dry grass strand, a small piece of charcoal floatin the water, karpooram thattai in it)

do correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

hems