1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Irregular periods

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by prathi, Sep 21, 2005.

1. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Re: Menstrual problems - all doubts

Dear Vivibass,

For Iron deficiency u can eat PRUNES/Dried Plums.Prunes has more iron content than dates.I m saying this from my experience.

After my son's birth there was a gradual change in my periods and as months passed by it became very heavy lasting for 6-8 days and even i got blood clots.That too it hurts very much when the blood clot gets passed out.Moreover i felt dizzy sometimes and once even black out.Only then i consulted my doctor and she suggested an Ultra sound to be taken to rule out the malfunction of my uterus.Thank god the result came out normal and then she did my blood work and found that Anemia was the culprit.Now im on double dose of iron supplement for past 3 months and inaddition i eat everyday dates, dried plums,spinach and orange juice.And its getting better now.

Though i surfed on net and was aware of the symptoms of anemia I was with the misconception that NO heavy periods when i have no enough blood in my body.So ladies be very careful and watchful abt your menstural severity.Even if there is a slight change check with your doctor immediately.

take care

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  2. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hello selvik,
    thanx for ur suggestion,sure i'll have prunes...

3. archu

archu New IL'ite

Menstrual cramps

Is it safe to take medications to get releif from menstrual cramps? Eventhough the pain is there only for few hours for me it is unbearable. Iám sceptical in letting chemicals inside my body. I think taking pills won't flush out the entire waste from the body, I don't know if Iám right,correct me. need some valuable advice .

regards
    archu

4. kondapally

kondapally New IL'ite

menustral problem

Hi every one,
    Iam not getting my periodsregularly,it has been 2 months since i havent received my date,iam wondering whether its due to my overweight or
    due to hormone changes.i am having a lot of concern about this?does iam the one who is facing the problem or anyone does have?1 year has been completed
    since i got married.pls any suggestions

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: menustral problem

My dear Girl,

Has this irregular periods been going on for a while or is this the first time you have not had the periods for 2 months. If this is the first time, you might be pregnant too. So please get a home pregnancy kit and test yourself, or go to a gynaec as soon as you can.

Vandhana

6. Vishana

Vishana New IL'ite

Hi All,

Not sure if you can help, My menstrual cycle is very painful every month for at least 2-3 days. No painkillers help, i am in such pain that I am forced to take days off work and nothing seems to help. My GP wasn't very helpful and simply suggested i continue taking regular painkillers.

Can you advise something that may potentially help this excruciating pain?

Many thanks,
    Vish x

7. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Menstrual problems - all doubts

HI Vishana,
    I can understand ur pain.
    To get relief from pain u have to concentrate on our food for 1 week especially in this period time.
    5 days is also enough.before periods 2 days & those 3 days.
    Aviod caffine like coffe,tea & soft drinks.
    Avoid oily foods like fries,oily curries & even puris.
    Avoid spicy foods & pickles.
    Have less salty food.
    Have more water, buttermilk, salads,fruits & juices.

before 3 days & those 3 days have 1spn methi seeds with 1 glass of buttermilk. really ths methi buttermilk helps a lot.

try hot jeera water also. boil 1glass of water with 1 spn jeera, 1 spn sugar & ghee.

hope this helps u to reduce pain.
    Take care
    Sunikris

8. Vishana

Vishana New IL'ite

Hi Sunikris,

Wow I didn't know some of this, thanks alot! Expecting soon so will try exactly what you said (fingers crossed).:2thumbsup:

Will let you know what happens, thanks again!

Vishana:wave

9. shobabu

shobabu New IL'ite

Painful periods

Hello....
    my 16 year old daughter has very painful periods with severe cramps and nausea/vomitting so much so she cant do anything for a day.with exams coming soon pls suggest any quick home made remedy...
    thanks in advance
    have a great day
    shobha

10. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies, i found this article informative-
    A normal menstrual period lasts from 2 to 7 days. The normal cycle patterns can range from 21 to 35 days. When bleeding occurs that is not part of the regular cycle; periods are longer or heavier than normal; occurs between periods; time between periods is longer than normal; or there is an absence of periods, this is called abnormal or irregular uterine bleeding. There are various causes of abnormal bleeding, but the most common is a hormone imbalance. At both ends of the menstrual life of a woman, periods may be irregular. Reasons for abnormal periods can be both normal and abnormal. The most normal reason is pregnancy. Hormone imbalance (not enough or too much of certain hormones) can also be a common reason. This can occur as a result of weight loss or gain; heavy exercise; stress; illness; or certain medications.

Causes:

· Stress
    · New cycle, that is the irregularity experienced by some young girls at the onset of the periods. Their cycle can be irregular for months or years whilst it is establishing itself.
    · Dietary problems , e.g. anorexia, bulimia or simply poor diet
    · Too much exercise
    · Drugs - prescription and recreational
    · Break in routine
    · Thoughts and emotions
    · Sexual activity - especially when it is a new occurrence
    · Anxiety about pregnancy
    · Illness or physiological imbalance e.g. thyroid conditions

TIPS for IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION :
    <TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt outset; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt outset; BACKGROUND: #ffff99; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt outset; WIDTH: 90%; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt outset; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellPadding=0 width="90%" border=1><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt inset; WIDTH: 99.24%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt inset" vAlign=top width="99%">PAINFUL AND IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt inset; WIDTH: 99.24%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt inset" vAlign=top width="99%">
    • A piece of fresh ginger (adrak), ground and boiled in a cup of water. The infusion is taken thrice daily after meals along with sugar.
    • Boil 1 teaspoon saffron (kesar) in ½ cup water. Let it reduce to become 1 tablespoon. Divide this decoction into three portions and take with equal quantities of water, thrice daily for a couple of days.
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt inset; WIDTH: 99.24%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt inset" vAlign=top width="99%">
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt inset; WIDTH: 99.24%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt inset" vAlign=top width="99%">MENSTRUATION DELAY
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt inset; WIDTH: 99.24%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt inset" vAlign=top width="99%">
    • Take ½ teaspoon finely ground cinnamon (dalchini) every night along with 1 cup milk.
    • Powder 1 teaspoon dried mint (pudina) leaves and take with 1 teaspoon honey, thrice daily.
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 5"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt inset; WIDTH: 99.24%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt inset" vAlign=top width="99%">
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 6"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt inset; WIDTH: 99.24%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt inset" vAlign=top width="99%">MENSTRUATION, EXCESSIVE BLEEDING
    <TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 7; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: green 1pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: green 1pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: green 1pt inset; WIDTH: 99.24%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: green 1pt inset" vAlign=top width="99%">
    • Grind some Beal leaves into a fine paste. Take 1 teaspoon with warm water and drink some cold water as well.
    • Boil 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) seeds in 2 cups water till it is reduced to 1 cup. Add sugar to taste and drink when lukewarm. Repeat twice or thrice a day.