1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Help getting rid of dry cough

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Riyasmommy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi Can somebody help me with getting rid of this dry cough I have for the last week or so? There's always a tickle at the back of my throat and it makes me cough.

I have been taking ginger tea but it hasn't helped me with the cough.

Any home remedies out there that I can use? Thanks

Raj

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Raj,

This is what I use... when I am bothered by Dry cough :

Boil the milk (1tumbler) , add turmeric powder (pure) and sugar (or pana kalkandu) to it, stir it well..... drink it for 2-3 days. You will definitely see the effect.

Hope it helps...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

hey raj,
    You can either drink some cough syrup like Robittusin.. am not sure if it is a prescription med.. or if you feel you have infection in your throat.. gargling Hydrogen peroxide is good.. you will get them in your local walgreens or CVS.. and it may be just $2 or 3.. it is really effective for throat infection and also good for teeth and gum. So you can very well gargle without any fear..

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Gowri and Cutepavi for your suggestions.

Gowri, I can't handle warm milk at all (I gag). Another mom here in the Infants section told me about it too, but I guess I'll have to give it a try and see if it helps as the cough is really annoying.

Cutepavi, I don't want to go the cough syrup way yet, and I don't have any infections. It's just the dryness inside the house that's bothering me, I think. We are stuck in an ice storm for the last 24 hours too.

Raj

5. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

oh then you can drink luke warm water. that is the best option. take care. I know it is horrible during winter

6. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hi Raj,

I feel from your symptoms, it must be some allergy related cough. I had a similar cough for months last year and finally went to doc to find that it was allergy related. He gave me Zyrtec, but it didnt work. Claritin worked wonders for me...I took it just one week and it went away. Even for me, it was that itchy, dry feeling all the time and cough was persistent too. I too did all home medications and finally gave up and went to doc:)

take care,
    sihi

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

sihi, I've been thinking about allergies too. Yes, it is an itchy, dry, prickly feeling that triggers the cough. I was given claritin by my doctor a while back for a different allergy issue, maybe I can take some of those - they are found OTC, aren't they?

Raj

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dearest Raj
    sorry to hear you have this annoying cough. You need to visit your doctor my friend. Take care.:)

9. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear Raj...
    In a empty kadai fry 4 cloves... when it starts splutter take it and smash it nicely add little honey and have it for 3 days ...

10. revathis

revathis Senior IL'ite

Hi Raj,

Try keep 3-4 black peppercorns in your mouth. You dont have to chew or bite. The juices coming out of it will reduce your dry cough. You can also keep black raisins along with it if you want.

revathi:)