Is the software industry making men become less manly?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by infinitehopes, Jan 25, 2009.

1. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

Just want to understand what you feel about some of the things that I have been observing last couple of years.

I am a software professional and working for considerable number of years. I have been observing - especially Indian - men & women in this industry. Due to the huge workforce employed by this industry, I feel I have observed a considerable sized population.

I feel the following -
    1. Men are acting overly soft, gentle, always gossiping, never rowdy, hardly every contradicting, eager to participate in each & every discussion even if its between two girls. Even if friends meet, they will discuss their work problems, projects etc. I somehow miss the manliness that attracts us to men. I miss them being rough-and-tough, over-powering but protecting. I keep wondering - what if there is some problem like day-time robbery - will these guys protect me? Or will they run first?

2. On the other hand, girls / women are becoming very tom-boyish, missing the frilly and cute things that typically girls do, decorating cubicals, having plants, photographs etc..

I am not saying girls / women should be dependent on men, but somewhere deep inside I feel every woman wants her man to protect her. This is a general though - not necessarily about anyone in particular. So although it does not apply to my hubby, it does apply to my colleagues.

On the contrary, westerners - I have observed more Americans - are gentlemen but still they talk like men, enjoy their things like watching football with their male friends, going out fishing (actual fishing on a boat :) ), building stuff for the house, going out camping in desert and so on.

What is your observation? Is there anyone who feels same as me?

2. infinitehopes

Hi Everyone,
    I must say WOW ! 49 views but not a single reply.

I guess I hit a wrong topic. I just hope I didn't hurt anyone's sentiments.

But is it that its only me who is thinking so? Then I need to really change my thinking.

I am really open for comments - supporting or against the thought that I have shared. Please feel free to comment.

3. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

hi,

Here in USA irrespective of male and female , most of them become selfish after some years... they can sit with you and gossip but they cannot be with you when you need them...
    i have seen many cases where we were suppose to fight as a group for our community , everyone sat at home .no one bothered....here it is like "what for us" "let others go" "we will see later"

In offices also..everyone looks for their job security, our jobs are not like government jobs where once you enter and you r settled for life time...here in software jobs, how hard you work also, its a constant battle to be in good books ...so most of them changed themselves to fit in this world...

iam may not given right answer for your query...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

hi infiniteshope...
    Its a real nice query you had in your mind! it made me smile instantly! You may be right in the way you think because ... When you are put in a project in your company then the people around you are the only people you may see on an average day! and if the project is having some dead lines and has a lot of work to do then OMG then you see only them! so i guess even if it is man or woman they don't care and also they dont care about the topic of discussion! they just need an outlet to open their mouth! And i dont feel there is anything different in people in america. I feel the only difference here is they have lot of things to think about and do not have time to sit and gossip!
    atleast this is what my thoughts are.. lets see if this discussion leads us somewhere!

5. infinitehopes

Yes skavi, What you are saying is actually an entire topic of discussion in itself. We have somehow learnt to be indifferent - like an Application :) Which takes in data - processes & gives the output. But the application does not change :)

6. infinitehopes

dear CutePavi,

What you say applies to Indians (at least the nationality that I can talk about confidently! It may also apply to Japanese, Chinese etc). But my personal experience with "Americans" is that they make sure they give enough time for their personal things - like guys will go out for Happy Hour (albeit for drinking - not good :) ) and then to watch a basketball game..

Once I met a UK based customer - who had taken an ENTIRE month off and guess what he did? He didn't want to travel - so he dug up entire garden and re-designed it in that month!

But I have seen us Indians - especially s/w engineers - work till late hours at office, make sure we r exhausted and then come home and sleep. Actually - come to think of it, there are very little choices to pass time on a day-to-day basis in India. Few choices for games, option is to watch TV, some have friends outside work..

I think I am drifting from the topic - but I feel that guys should actually singles (guys / gals) should try to find things to do other than work like hang out with their friends, play sports, exercise, help out for some things at home. Instead they are immersing themselves in work..

Not sure if I am making sense..

7. SunitaGN

SunitaGN New IL'ite

Please correct me if I am wrong, but you meant to discuss the difference in the lifestyles of the 20s-30s guys and girls in india vs. their counterparts in say US, right?

I believe the main difference you mention comes from India being in the "transition" phase of lifestyles. Like here in US the present generation is enjoying, suffering, planning pretty much the same stuff that their parents in their age did, or even their grandparents! In our case, India being a rapidly developing country lifestyles have seen a sea change from our grandparents to our parents and from our parents to us! That is why our generation back in India is still trying to sort of "find themselves" becase whatever is happening is happening to them for the very first time - and the advice, suggestions, etc that their US counterparts get from their parents is not at all similar.... added to that we have an entire other category of Indian culture and communication between generations factor.

Pls don't get me wrong I am not trying to say that these people dont have any family/generation issues and that we only have it. Every culture has them, what I am trying to say is the difference in those issues. Indian singles are tied to their family like American singles are not! There itself lies a huge explanation of their lifestyles. No matter how much the software singles earn in India if I am right atleast 75% of them who live in the same city as their parents still live under their parents roof.... well... there goes the lifestyle/attitude difference...

Coming to the manly thing... since this is the sort of first ever time that single men in 20s-30s are mingling soooo much with female colleagues (they spend 14-15 hours in the office sometimes and come home only to sleep) and vice versa...consequently they seem to be taking to it through their own experience (in India in school and college there is not so much dating etc "allowed by the family" yet in general, so office is the first place they are exposed to the free mixing with females as adults) so I guess they try to impress them the way they know how - by being considerate, listening etc... and women well again, I am no expert and I am certainly just generalizing the whole thing here - there are always exceptions - but MOST single women in 20s-30s in software India come across as self-important and prepossessing to me... sorry!! perhaps 'independent' and 'confident' are the words .... sorry about that.

I liked the topic you started... I hope the discussion continues.

8. infinitehopes

Hi Sunita,
    Thanks for your views..
    What I am comparing is how men used to act manly (this EXCLUDES their animal like behavior like hitting, overpowering women - INCLUDES just the way they used to walk, talk, their gestures and their liking) in 50-60s and how they are now. Also comparing the men/women now with their counterparts from other countries.

But your rest of the post addressed it correctly.
    I think you have written very well about how we are transitioning and how we trying to understand what's accepted behaviour and what's not..

So this post is not to say men are wrong in their behavior but more to share what women think, expect and also to understand why girls are behaving the way they are - i.e. tomboyish.

I feel that with all the women / men movement and rights fights, all men and women are confused about what they need to do in their day-to-day life. Its like a project where no one knows their responsibilities and so everyone feel they have to do everything :)

Earlier, it was quite defined (albeit in a wrong way) that everything outside house, men will take care of and women are responsible for house. But then women fought for our right to be able to work and provide for the family. But in the process, no one paid attention to educating men about their responsibilities when women start working. So women still feel that we also have to take care of the house. We expect help from men, but because their parents didn't teach them better, they don't understand they have to help or their egos are too big to actually come and help. So women manage their work - because they have to prove that they are from newer generation of working women and they manage their house too - because that's a must.. but in the process, women kind of start feeling that we have to do everything and with the natuaral motherly instict, they begin protecting everyone including the husband.. and I feel as their daughters come to age, they see their monther being protecting and they feel that's how they need to be. So they kind of try to show they are "independent and confident" or as you say "Self important and prepossessing". But to the core, they might be confused too.

I think this is kind of a twist but hopefully in the right direction.

9. SunitaGN

SunitaGN New IL'ite

Ya ultimately it will be headed the correct way... Ya I understand, I meant to compare why the western men are more manly that way than Indian.

You raised a great point, about them not learning their 'place' in childhood. In here, I have noticed that men take the trash, vaccum the house, change diapers etc. Its not that they love these jobs, but they just accept them and move on without any struggle. For most Indian men it is not so... they don't do that. Because there is the wife, mother or servantmaid to do all that so it never occurs to them to get involved in them. Also I think it is a bit hard on working women in India.... like you said they don't get much help from the husband, the servant girl is 50% useless, and if she lives in a joint family half of the time the in-laws make it more difficult for her with additional expectations than helping her around...so poor she is loaded with so much physical work and the mental stress to prove herself a super-woman.... added to that the festivals, relatives, and children if any. Perhaps thats why also they are so independent and come across as tough and tomboyish.

Thank you,
    Sunita

10. infinitehopes

I am curious to know, like me, does anyone miss the manliness and feminity amongst us today?