Guru Purnima - the Upcoming Hindu Festival!!!

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by MrignayniBansal, May 12, 2008.

1. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Guru Purnima, On this sacred day my mother used to do fasting.She awakes 5.00 A.M. After taking bath she does regular pooja.She beliefs that every one should have atleast one Guru in Life.Its important for getting "Moksha".She chants this slok-

Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu Guru Devo Maheswara
    Guru Sakshath Para Brahma Thasmai Shri Gurave Namaha.
    The Guru extolled there is the sage who as transcended name and form and beyond the effects of the three Gunas or attributes, he is neither enthusiastic nor uninterested. He is unaffected, clam and contend. He is the Atma, having realised that the Atma is the one and only one. He makes you cast off the fear of birth and death; he renders you for the vision of the eternal absolute truth.

The full moon day in the Hindu month of Ashad (July-August) is observed as the auspicious day of Guru Purnima, a day sacred to the memory of the great sage Vyasa. All Hindus are indebted to this ancient saint who edited the four Vedas, wrote the 18 Puranas, the Mahabharata and the Srimad Bhagavata. Vyasa even taught Dattatreya, who is regarded as the Guru of Gurus.

Once a contact between the Guru and the bhakta(disciple) is established, the relationship between master and disciple becomes a thing of beauty. This leads us to consider the principle of reciprocity which operates in this relationship. In return for the innumerable demands which a bhakta makes on the Master, it is but natural that the Guru too should impose a few conditions on the bhakta. The Guru expects total surrender, absolute obedience ,and, the last and most important, supreme effort.

2. ritu678

ritu678 New IL'ite

Hi all,

All your information are very useful.Thanks for sharing.But I want more details abut Guru Purnima so that I can enjoy it to the fullest.
    Why we worship Gurus?
    WHen it is celebrated?
    Why do we celebrate Guru Poornima?

Keep Helping:)