Recipes for Ayyappa Season...

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by whiterainbow, Nov 27, 2007.

1. whiterainbow

whiterainbow New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Every tamilian know the proverb "Uppilla Pandam Kuppayile" (The food without salt don't be tasted) but in the season of Vradha (Upvas or fasting) for Lord Ayyappa and Muruga in the season of Mid November to Mid January (upto Thai Poosam), the devotees need to control in food. The food diet for the devotees in the history says, the devotees should reduce salt, spice, tamarind, oil (can add ghee but little), sugar, onion, ginger, garlic, etc drastically. Even though these things are having some medical reasons, for control the body in the vradha season, it should be reduced for reasons... For example, Onion is good for digestion but it will increase the sexual urge in man. So can anybody suggest some recipes for this season (I request you not to suggest curd rice as it is less all things).

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Whiterainbow,

Welcome to IL. You can prepare simple food, by ommiting onion, garlic, drum stick and masala items. You can use ginger. If you go through my recipe index you will find many recipes, from that you can select as per your taste.

Generally for Ayyappa or any other varatham, we have to take one time rice and another time some tiffen. I think I explained well.

3. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Welcome my dear SK and thanks for the maiden blog with an useful topic in this Ayyappa Season.
    By the by do you have the plans now for Sabharimala this year...
    The reason of avoiding spicy foods during the Mandala puja is to sustain the powers within us and not to divert our attentions over mundane matters.
    Systemized food, timely bath, pujas and sleep without any luxuaries are a way to keep our body & mind a fresh.
    Swamiye Saranam.

Subbu

1 person likes this.
  4. saranamayyappam

saranamayyappam New IL'ite

Thank you for sharing the recipe. I have done also. It was too tasty and helps me to do swamy Ayyappa puja successful