1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Gain Issues

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by booboo, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi Nirupama, welcome aboard. Let's talk about the most alarming thing that I find in your post - about her throwing up after eating - Did you talk to the pedi about this? What did he/she say? This doesn't sound good at all. If she's teething and she's also throwing up frequently it's not good for her teeth either. Have you noticed that she throws up after eating a particular food? Maybe she's allergic to something.

You say you are a Vegan, but I see that you feed your baby whole milk. So do you guys include dairy products in your diet then? Could she be lactose intolerant and hence throwing up? You can substitue whole milk with soy milk and see how she does. Soy milk will also give her extra protein and calories

Secondly, what do you mean she refuses to Breastfeed? What does she do? When did you stop breastfeeding her? If you are still interested in breastfeeding her, I would suggest you check out our 'Breastfeeding' subforum and see if you can find some info, if not, post your issue there and some of us should be able to help.

Here's some info on balanced nutrition for toddlers (although it talks about nursing toddlers, I think you can still find some good information here).

Lastly, for homemade baby food recipes, check out the stickies on this forum that talk about Foods for 9 to 12 month olds, and Toddler and Pre school foods. You'll get a ton of ideas there. Your decision of moving from canned food to home made food is a good one, since in your situation, it will greatly help your baby.

Good luck.
    Raj

2. nirupama126

nirupama126 New IL'ite

Thanks Raj for your reply. Well we asked the paed and she asked if my daughter cried after the feed. But my daughter does not throw everytime.And she is fine and plays after vomiting. So paed said may be its not stomach bug but may be hereditary. She does not throw every time.I read some online articles saying that during teething the babies salivate more and that causes to regurgitate the food and vomiting. Till they get 6-8 teeth it stops.

Regarding being vegan is that we dont eat meat but include milk in our diet. Recently after paed advice started with eggs and she is fine with it.

I BF her till 11 months and in a fortnight she started refusing the BF. When I pumped Still milk production was there. Her paed said that its time to wean so its obvious for babies to refuse BF and asked to start with Formula. She is not used to bottle feeding so I tried with spoon and it worked for some time but then she plays with the spoon and spills eveything so tried with sippy cup too. She used to take formula with sippy cup but since her gums are swollen it hurts when she sucks, so refuses sippy cup sometimes.

I will go thru the link and can try new recipes.

Thanks
    Nirupama.

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

So does this run in your or your husband's family then? You could be right about teething and vomitting, I have never heard of it before though, but every baby reacts differently to teething anyway.

Sounds like most of her issues right now are revolving around teething, you may want to take it easy and try some homemade recipes and see if she takes them instead. You can even bake her some teething biscuits so she can chew on them. I have heard that Hyland Teething tablets are really good and they are available OTC. You can read more about 'Teething' issues in the 'Infants' forum, if you want.

Good luck!

4. nirupama126

nirupama126 New IL'ite

Hi! Raj,

Yes my husband had lot of vomiting issues in his teething period in childhood.I wonder about what all can be hereditary. Well I give her homeopathic teething tablets same as hyland teething tablets.

She grinds her teeth ,so even i think all is related to her teething.

Thanks
    Nirupama.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Nirupama
    Two questions:
    1) Which chart does your paed use - breastfed or formula-fed charts. At 1, my LO was also 17 pounds, my paed had no issues with it. At around 6 months, when LOs start getting mobile some bf babies start getting leaner and taller, not their chubby selves. My LO was also 4.2 lb at birth at 34 weeks gestations. LBW mothers, of course, have a right to worry.
    So here is my question no

2) Does she have food allergies.
    From my experience, everybody pooh-poohed me when I told them K had dairy intolerance and of course, he was promptly fed everything including icecreams. After my MIL, a chief non-believer then, fed him a 100 ml of peach icecream, the next day he vomitted his gut out and had quite severe diarrhoea. Our paed was also skeptical because he was not severely allergiec, no wheezing, no hives, no anaphylatic reactions. Just vomiting/diarrhoea and eczema. They all thought I was this anxious mother, trying to be overprotective.
    At 18 months, I started insisting on an allergy test with my paed. She said why not try the elimination diet first because allergy tests are traumatic. So, K and I went free of dairy, hidden and obvious, wheat, egg, soy, nut for two months. He gained 1 KG in that two months, after staying in 9 kg for almost the better part of 14 to 18 months. His sleep improved leaps and bound, his appetite increased greatly and he is not as testy as he used to me or as clingy and needy. Since then, he is also slowly outgrowing his other allergies like to egg.
    I know I am becoming a preacher in these forums about careful introduction of solids, esp in a family with allergies. But you should see the change in my child. So yes, talk to your paed about allergies, educate yourself. US has so many support groups for mommies who have chidren with allergies.
    While lactose intolerance, like Raj suggested, is a possible reason for poor weight gain , cows' milk protein allergy is a silent insidious one. Rule food allergies out, just My 2cents.

Why is the paed pushing weaning. I know DS went through nursing strikes whenever he was teething, the worst was with his first molars. It is not a sign your DD does not want to nurse or is ready to wean, follow her cues. BM is the most calorie dense food at 22 kcal per ounce, more than formula.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  6. nirupama126

nirupama126 New IL'ite

Thanks Tikka for your soothing words. Truely you know what I am going through.

Well Paeds in US follow their chart ie the Iowa chart so obviously most Asians are on the lower curve. For me also everybody took me as over cautious and over protective and esp my MIL nags my DD all the time that she is very thin and she should become chubby but since we both are petite how can I expect my DD to be chubby? But I get hurt when someone passes remarks with her health. I take enough care of her and pass sleepless nights taking care of her right from day one of her birth as no body could come for my delivery and above that had a c section.

Well as far as her lactose tolerance is concerned she has digested whole milk too when added to sweets but sometimes when her gums are really sore she trhows up so was corelating to it. Regarding BF I tried offering her breasts couple of times but in vain.

Regarding formula she sometimes digests very well but sometimes throws out.
    Bottom line... I think whenever her gums are sore she salivates more and may be this causes acidity and reflux? Some days she is totally fine with her teething and that time she accepts her feeds properly.

Vanathi, pls throw some light on this. Also some healthy protein rich menu recipes are most welcome.

Pls opine your thoughts.

7. piu

piu New IL'ite

Food for thinner baby

Hello ladies,
    I've 2yr old baby who is going thinner day by day.I can't understand which foods I'll give him to gain weight.could you pls help me.

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Piu,

I am merging your query with an existing thread...

Latha

9. newsoul

newsoul Bronze IL'ite

Hi Uma,
    At 18 months, babies don't need formula anymore. You can try regular cow's milk(whole milk). If she is interested in solid foods, try raagi kanji in the morning. It will increase her appetite and she will be hungry for food by lunch.
    Hope this helps.
    Have loads of fun with your toddler.

10. anu2001

anu2001 New IL'ite

thin baby

I have a baby girl 2 1/2 age and she looks so thin.she weighs 12.200 gm. Is this ideal weight? What special food should i given to her to improve her body?
    Pls advise me as soon as possible....
    Thanks