Travelling while pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by simi, Apr 7, 2005.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Travel & Shifting of residence during pregnancy

Hi Vandana,

I dont know about the rules and regulations about US. You know better. :-D But my sister's co-sister and my friend's sister (who are living more than 21 years in US) both told the same reason and they told that they are able to get the Green Card because of the new born. :idontgetit: :confused:

Still they are in US only.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Vandhana and Krishnaama

I think getting a GC depends a lot on the type of visa you are in.My husband is on L1 and me L2,we(all three of us) got our GC within about 5-6 months of applying for same.

Also,this topic here is quite interesting.I heard recently about a lady whose husband is working here I think on a short term basis.She came here when she was around 7 mnths pregnant,delivered the baby here,thereby making the baby a U.S. Citizen and she is planning to go back to India soon to re-join her job there.She is currently on maternity leave.It seems she was missing her husband so much so she came here for the delivery.I was thinking,is that the real reason or is the real reason -citizenship for the child.I was fuming when I heard this...why do people go to this extent to get a U.S. citizenship?

1 person likes this.
  3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies ,

Since the topic is now turned towards GC, let me Clarifry:

Yes the time it takes to get GC definitely depends on the Visa Catetogory one is in. My hubby was on J1 visa, so could directly apply and get GC after finishing up his PhD. It took less than 6 months.
    What we are talking here is about if a baby is born in the US to Non US citizens, does it speed up the GC process for the parents? The answers is NO!!. It will still take the same amount of time that it takes for the others based on theVisa category.

Krishnaamma, maybe what your friends are talking about is if their adult children got US citzen ship and sponosored their parents for GC, then one gets the GC within a year.

Vandhana

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thankyou,Vandhana for the clarification.

5. krishnaamma

Hi Sunitha,

I am glad to see a supporting mail concurring with my opinion. I am also happy that my friend who apprised me of this facility, told me correctly.

Hi Vandana,

My friend went to US, after her marriage 1987, and she told me this information at that time. I dontknow more than this. But usualy after who are going to US from my family and friends circle, we use to tell them 'not to get another baby for the citizen purpose'. But my sister's co-sister did the same method toget the GC. She achieved she told.

I told my brother when he left India (1997) to US the same thing. At that time he,his wife and 5 month old boy went US. (He got his GC without any short cut ideas)

6. Blossom

Blossom New IL'ite

Thanks for all your suggestions. She has decided to stay in India since her main aim is to deliver a healthy baby. She has changed her mind and decided that she would not think about going to US hereafter till she delivers and her baby is fit enough to travel.

Actually she wanted to stay with her husband due to some other reasons. She has two sisters who are also married and currently staying with their parents for some other reasons. Their parents irritated with the behaviour of one of their daughter had stated a general comment stating that their own daughters are giving problems to them instead of staying with their husbands. So she thought even she would stay with her husband so as to avoid some comments later from their parents. But there was no fault of her and that statement was not meant for her. So she has decided to stay in India. I have told her that she would not get any such comments from her parents since as far as i know she is a good girl and doesnt irritate others.

7. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi blossom,
    ur friend has taken good best decision,.pls convey my wishes for her safe delivery.

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

While on GCs- There is a news item in today's Hindu at the last page.
    A spelling bee's struggle
    It seems that a couple have tried to get asylum in the US stating violence in the area where they live in India. There case was pending for 10 years and by the time the scene in India changed and they were refused asylum and were deported to India. While in the US, the wife delivered a boy and he became a US citizen. When the parents were deported, the son stayed with an uncle in US itself.
    He is a child prodigy and is about to compete for the Scripps National Speccing Bee in May from the state of Utah. So the son is in US and the parents are in India. Just imagine!
    I am so happy and relieved that you friend finally came to her senses and decided wisely. Being a mother after so much waiting, pooja and penace and many many painful days and then delivering a preterm baby with multiple problems, I give more importance to having a baby.

9. krishnaamma

hi blossom,

Your friend has taken a good & best decision. Please convey my wishes for her safe delivery ! :yes:

10. naha

naha New IL'ite

Air travel in first trimester

Hi,

I am travelling to india in the 3rd month...has anyone got any experiences to share...i will be 11 weeks at the time of travel.

waiting for a reply
    thanks
    Naha