1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

blowing one's own horn

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by diya123, Oct 28, 2008.

1. diya123

diya123 New IL'ite

Big LaughBig LaughBig Laugh i really dont understand what r they trying to prove and get so irritated

2. sashie

sashie New IL'ite

hi Diya, yes i also give "clues", to the person that the conversation is over, that;s really a good way to get thru it. I asked my friend (who is a psycologist), why peeople brag(my MIl does it ALL THE TIME< ALL DAY LONG), she said that people brag cuz they have no self confidence (they make themsevels or their chidren appear better than they are), cuz really they have self esteem issues...anyways, when my mil brags about how great her life, daughter is, or how great she cooks etc.etc. i jsut think that she has to talk and talk about herself, cuz she feels so unconfident, :rotfl:rotfl....hope this little insight helps.

sash

3. shobana sridhar

shobana sridhar Silver IL'ite

it is a lot of pain to listen .It would be better if we could spend least amount of time with them.Or we can connect them with some body of their own nature and watch the fon.sarriyana potti.

shobaBig Laugh

4. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

Thats a nice insight into the problem !! I always felt that there is no point to brag when you know you are doing good.. you automatically feel that people know ur status... its just that they feel low in confidence, they want to say this in front of you and beat their chest...

What I used to do to handle these people (mostly elders like aunts,uncles) is to just say Hi and move away from them within minutes.. Though this has got them complain about me to my mom like she doesn't know how to respect them etc etc..

But I think some of the ideas given here like yawning and seeing other objects in the room are worth a try.. but I am doubtful that these people are so senseless that even if you do that they will keep on talking Rant

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  5. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Hi Diya,

Its actually a big pain and specially if that person is older to you....my god you can't be rude and from inside you don't even want to be polite.

It is a pure torture, I sometimes think why people do that. I mean every one wants to says something good about themselves, we all do but I guess 4-5 minutes is more than enough.

But long stories of how great the person is, how good his/her family is and how he/she is always admired among friends and family...oh my god the list goes on and on. If that is not enough a frequent comparison with your work.....bonk

I agree with Shashie about this being a confidence issue. And tell you what these people are also blind to the reactions we give them because they are back to bragging about themselves the next minutes.

:coffeeShiva