1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

SSN for L2 Visa holders

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by ramyav_cse, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi

Im on L2 visa and have applied for my EAD. I recently heard that L2 visa holders can get SSN without having to produce EAD. Is that true?
    Appreciate replies :)

Thanks
    Ramya

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ramya,

I don't know about recent situation but when i applied before 2 year. They didn't even accept EAD approval letter, they said we need to show the card to get SSN.

3. radhika suresh

radhika suresh New IL'ite

Hi friend Iam also on L2 visa.I have applied for SSN recently last friday.there is no need for EAD.we have to show I95 ,marriage certificate,passport copy.I will get within 10days.

4. vimalasri

vimalasri New IL'ite

hi Ramya ,

I think u will be able to get ur SSN. I applied way before EAD and I got it within a week , that was pretty fast. Like Radhika mentioned, I too provided all the I-94 / I-95 , marriage cert , passport and the completed SSN form.

Good luck !

5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Managed to apply for my SSN today :2thumbsup:
    Wouldnt have known that L2 visa can apply for SSN if not for your replies.
    Thanks once again :)

6. drizn

drizn New IL'ite

Any suggestions

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me in this aspect. I came 2 the US few months back. I applied for the ssn however it was not accepted as my name on the marriage certificate & passport do not match. The reason for this is that in my passport my family name appears as my sirname which was not mentioned in my 10th certificate which is needed for the marriage certificate. Now my problem is whenever I go to look for a job, I am asked to show my ssn. I dont know what to do. I do have an ITIN. I was told I can get my EAD made but the problem is that I find it useless as every1 told me it usually takes about 6 months & I dont know if V will be in USA 4 that long & moreover it costs a lot. Pls help me. Suggest something as I really want to earn. Can I work from home? R there such jobs available?

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Any suggestions

Do you have a work visa?

8. vanigooty

vanigooty New IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

I just want to check whether u have got your SSN without EAD,since i'm also in L2 visa and also want to apply for SSN

Vani

9. drizn

drizn New IL'ite

Re: Any suggestions

No...I dont have a work visa, have been trying at every store for a job, I really really want to work & earn. Can I apply for an EAD without SSN? And will applying for the EAD also require marriage certificate & Passport?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  10. drizn

drizn New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me out. Actually I too am on L2 visa, I went to apply for my SSN but my application got rejected. The Reason was that my name appears differently on my Passport & Marriage certificate. On my passport my family name is mentioned as sirname & on the marriage certificate it is just my full name as it was on the 10th class certificate & that didnt have my family name. I am really stuck as I want to work but am unable to do so due to this problem. Can someone suggest something?