Your Navratri Celebrations in Pictures! - Contest for the Month of Oct'08

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Induslady, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaysanth

jaysanth New IL'ite

hi shobana, wow!! superb golu! godess looks very nice!! did u all dress her up? she looks really grand! geetha upadesam looks very very nice.kutralam looks very real though its a miniature! all the best for the contest!
    cheers
    jayashree

2. madhusri8576

madhusri8576 New IL'ite

Hi jayashree,
    Thanks a million.Its very glad to hear this from u.Once again thanks for ur encouragement :).

Kind Regards,
    Madhu.

3. Shobi

Shobi New IL'ite

Hi All,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I started my Golu here in U.S 9 years back. For the first 3 years I just had dolls bought here in U.S( all American). Then I started collecting dolls from India. Whenever we had a trip back home we brought 2 boxes of dolls from there.
    I bought the Amman face Online from Giri Traders Chennai. We made her body with cloth and stuffing. My husband carved her palm and feet with styrofoam. We made Geetha Upadesam as a family project. My husband made Arjuna's Chariot,Horses,elephant and men.My daughters( 7 and 8 years old) painted them and I decorated it. Kuttralam and Sengottai was my Mother-in-laws idea.
    We all love this festival because we get to spend a lot of time together making our theme. We have friends who are really nice and they encourage us a lot.
    For the past 4 years we have lot of families here in Michigan who started keeping Golu and we are busy the whole nine days visiting each others houses. WE REALLY FEEL LIKE INDIA AND WE LOVE THIS FESTIVAL.

Thank you.
    Shobana Balaji.

4. Shobi

Shobi New IL'ite

Thank you Mythraeyi. I have never been to Kuttralam. It was my husband's and my Mother-in-laws idea. So the credit goes to them. Now my daughters and I want to visit Kuttralam on our next trip to India.

Shobana Balaji.

5. madhusri8576

madhusri8576 New IL'ite

Hi shobana,
    Your golu is awesome.ive been seeing ur golu pics countless times.I want to ask u something.how did u do that kootralum view,especially that waterfalls.Very curious to know if u share.U have done a great job.

Cheers,
    Madhu.

6. anu0205

anu0205 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    all the gholu arrangements are so beautiful, it reminded me of my thatha's place in trichy where we used to go every year for Navarathri.
    Although I did not have a ghollu like you, I just had a small vethalay paaku session and for that I made small bags and painted on them.
    Anu

Attached Files:

7. sowmya.swami

sowmya.swami Junior IL'ite

hi MadhuSri, thanks a lot. i made the temple with card board and painted with water color. i ve seen ur golu pics, they r awesome , very pretty. :)
    u ve put in a lot of effort. i lik the mermaid, pirate, farm ...actually evything. :)
    this is the best way to show out creative talents.. U rock...

diwali wishes and rgds
    Sowmya

8. Shobi

Shobi New IL'ite

Hi Madhu,
    Thank you.

We made the Kuttralam with Feather Rock , Water pumps for the falls ,some real and artificial palnts to give mountain look. I have to give credit to my husban Balaji who helped me a lot to put it together.

Shobana Balaji.

9. sastha1812

sastha1812 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am attaching picture of my 2nd gollu in Boston, MA.
    Just started collecting dolls....

Hope you like it !!!

Attached Files:

10. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Very beautiful ladies !!!

Great job, hats off to everyone !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.