1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Till Eternity

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, May 27, 2024.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

TILL ETERNITY
    In a psychology seminar -
    Psychologist: "Now let's play a game."
    Having said that
    accosting from the gathering a young lady,
    he said
    "Dear lady please come and write on this white board - the names of atleat thirty people who you consider are important in your life now and in future."

The lady thought for a while and began writing names of her kith and kin.
    After her finishing with the task psycho had one good look at all 30 names she had just written, he requested the lady, "Thank you dear lady. Would you please delete From the list names of five people who are not that important to you."

The lady wiped from the white board the names of her five siblings.

Then he told her to rub off another five names of people who are not that valuable to her.

The lady cleared names of five more of her bosom friends.

In this way the process continued until there were only four names left on the board. It was her parents, husband and only son.

Now the psychologist requested the lady to wipe off two more names from the list on the board.

It was then that everyone in the audience realized that there was going to be a piquant climax and it was not just a game…

With no other option, the lady half-heartedly wiped off from the board her parents' name.

Again she was asked to rub off from board one more name out of remaining two.

The lady turned slightly nervous and half-heartedly with moist eyes, erased hesitantly one of the two remaining names. She told that the name she just wiped off then was her only son's.

The psychologist told her to get back to her seat.

"Why did you choose to leave that one name on the board?"
    She responded, "it is my husband's name."
    "Your parents took so much care to nurture you and brought YOU up. Your son himself gave you the motherhood. Then why here you rubbed off son's name?"

The gathering in the hall were agog to listen to her response.

The young lady said,
    "Indeed but...but.. my parents may expire before me. My son may leave me for his future studies & career and family life. But my husband is the only one who would be always with me and dedicate his entire life to me. That's why ...."

Everyone stood up and applauded her.

This is true. Treat your spouse with love and respect. Realize that God put you in WEDLOCK for mutual help and service!

Last edited: May 27, 2024

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

It is a tough choice but her choice is the best. The question remains, what if her husband precedes her in death? Who will look after her, her son in all probability?

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I truly appreciate the choice made by the young lady. But there is a point in what @HariLakhera says.
    Even the most devoted couple will eventually lose the partner. It may be the husband or wife. Very rarely we find the couple die together. It's easier for the widowed wife to take care of herself than for the husband if his wife predeceases him. Sons or daughters do take care of the parent but I see a lot of plush old age homes coming up and the wards do leave their old age parents there particularly if the wards are abroad.
    All said and done, we came here alone and we must learn to be mentally independent.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Very true Anna. Ladies can take care of themselves but for a man it's difficult when his wife expires even though the children will take care. I used to wish that my husband should die first.

joylokhi, Rihana, kaluputti and 3 others like this.
  5. Cheeniya

@iyerviji
    I love your frankness viji. I have known you for several years and even met both of you. I understand your statement

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Anna

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

In today's Tamil newspaper Dinakaran, there is a news item about an old couple dying on the same day

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Thyagarajan Sir,

Congratulations on nomination of this thread. The question is who is important for the lady and the answer appears to be something she doesn't control. No one in this world lives for eternity and no one would ever know who would precede or succeed us in passing away. In my view, when we are alive, making everyone living around us happy must be our priority. At different stages of life, different people become important to us. The parents are our world when we are a child, the teachers are our world when we educate, the spouse is our world when we become grahastha, the children are our world when we raise them, and finally we learn the connecting thread to all these stages are only one. That is Divinity. Divinity is the only one that is eternal.

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My school friend and her husband died on after the other during covid

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

I enjoyed your contemplative response. Thank you.
    So the axiom is the important ones by and by changes as one grows and ages and the final prop till eternity is only The Almighty.
    Here the lady is young somewhat wet behind the years and had to make spontaneous or quick decision. She seems to be a Tamilian and carried at the back of her head the kural of Divibe saint Thiruvalluvar
    தெய்வம் தொழாஅள் கொழுநன் தொழுதெழுவாள் பெய்யெனப் பெய்யும் மழை.
    If she who does not worship God, but who worships her husband say, "let it rain," it would rain instantly.

Transliteration(Tamil to English):
    theyvam thozhaaaL kozhunhan thozhudhezhuvaaL
    peyyenap peyyum mazhai

Viswamitra likes this.