1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help Resources Needed

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by lavani, Apr 23, 2024.

1. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

My son is in Grade 6.he is doing ok. but can do better. I need help in helping him with English.

context here. the english that i did in india is different from the kids that are learning now. I was doing more on theoritical on grammer, essay . lot of memorizing.

but grades here in nj. a passage is given. kids are asked to analyze. analyze emotion. point alternatives. debates.

Questions or need help.

how can i help. I cannot just read a book with him and then wait to do this. since it has the following issues.

i am not good in making questions on the story or text.
    time
    he is not going to sit

and we both are going to waste time or fighting .

please suggest any resources paid also Works. I can follow a paid curriculum and work with him.

2. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

3. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

thank you very much . IXL is very nice. this helps. Reading is done but it is never a targeted , more on the leasure side.

again thanks

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Buy books that are "reading comprehension workbooks with answers". The answer key will be at the back of the book. If available, buy the "teacher-edition" of the book as this will also have "how to use this workbook" section. I would suggest to start with one grade lower than student's grade, just to get familiar with the format. Between "print version" and "e-book", I would prefer print, but each has advantages.

These are some workbooks that are used in schools and by homeschooling families:
    https://www.amazon.com/Comprehension-Nonfiction-Analyzing-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/1483812197/
    https://www.amazon.com/Comprehensio...ewspaper-Assessment-Homeschool/dp/1622238656/

Evan-Moor | Educational Resources, E-books & Workbooks for School & Home:Reading Comprehension Fundamentals – Grade 5, Teachers
    https://www.evan-moor.com/daily-reading-comprehension-grade-5-teachers-edition-e-book
    https://www.evan-moor.com/read-and-understand-with-leveled-texts-grade-5-teacher-reproducibles-print

I used the first two (Amazon links) for practice before the state standardized testing, like for 3-4 weeks, for kid already good in reading comprehension. The Evan-Moor books were used for kid who needed more help, and were used over 5-6 months for couple of school years. Evan-Moor also has some other workbooks for reading comprehension such as analyzing fiction, nonfiction, poetry, science articles.

Once I downloaded an Evan-Moor e-book and shared it with a friend to split the cost. : ) Just found the .zip's "extracted files" in my Google Drive. : )

Analyzing American elementary schools text for emotion, reason, purpose etc was so hard for me. I never could understand why the main idea was the main idea of a paragraph. : ) Even with the answer key I had to really prepare ahead and read the text properly myself. Used to feel so stupid and dumb that I don't get even a 5th grade passage. Finally, I smartened up and outsourced this task to better-half. But I did train him well. Told him where to hide the answer keys, and how to give the kid only one worksheet each day (tearing from workbook) or kid would finish reading all in one afternoon and not do the exercises.

Also, you might be able to find a local highschooler willing to follow a curriculum with your kid instead of you doing it. Or, you can find online teachers such as in https://www.teacheron.com/ (most are Indian). You might have to spend a paid session or two explaining to the teacher how you want them to teach your kid with the curriculum you have bought. I would suggest choosing a female teacher and kid attend the class without headphone so you can hear what they are talking.

Also, you can send an email to your kid's teacher asking for resources to use at home. Be sure to emphasize nothing is lacking in her teaching, just that you were brought up in a different land ....

5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

thanks a lot. Actually me and dh both are too indian for us style. It is hard with really analyzing and contrasting those passages. DH has in fact shamelessly asked every time to teacher to share more resources. I guess it is some school thing or cultural . we were always given , please review the Google classroom materials again. :) . if i do, my son will simply complain he has done this .

this is good detail . I will plan. . we are bit late now that grade is almost close to be over. but at least we can prep well for Marking period 4 . then catch up well for 7 onwards.

my son is good grade is A. but he is just getting by because young and good memory . but i have seen my daughter level who is now moving to college. :) . it becomes really hard as they go to high school. . i have a high schooler at home. but i guess teaching and guiding is a skill. and with the amount of focus my son gives to videos vs his English comprehension. it will scare us both.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024