1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

King, Thief & The Judge

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

:hello: King, Thief & The Judge
    ( INJUSTICE JUSTICE)

King of the country very humbly requested him to be the Chief Justice of the Court of his kingdom. Because the king felt that no one else could uphold justice like him.
    But the monk declined to be the judge saying, "I'm not the right person for that office please do not press me anymore. You do understand the reason behind my declining the offer. If I am a judge just for a day in our kingdom, you will get to know that in your set up am a total misfit for the job.
    I did not tell you this all these days out of my reverence to you. Either me at fault or the rules and governance set up by you must be wrong.
    So just to respect your wish, let me be the judge just for a day" said the monk.

On his assuming the office of judge of the court, very first day, a thief who had committed a robbery in the house of almost respected and a man X of AFFLUENCE in the capital city was handcuffed and dragged to the court made to stand before the judge (monk).

Monk who had got investigated the robbery, eventually sentenced the rich man X and the thief as well to incarceration in prison for six months.

A shocked X asked, "What kind of a judgement - it is quixotic. I have lost my valuables. How can I be equated to a thief? How can it be justified that I should go to prison for the same period as that thief?"

The monk-judge reacted saying, "Indeed! I have utterly wronged that thief vis-a-vis You. I should have been awarded you longer period of imprisonment. Out of greed for excessive wealth, you have amassed so much wealth & money, many in this kingdom are in dire straits and remain indigent forever. People are poor and impoverished as kingdom rules enable the rich to be more richer and middle class are impoverished. You and the king's coterie keep adding assets more and more. You are going. It is greed of citizens like you had generated huge community of thieves. Hence onus fully rest with you and the king. You are the first and foremost culprit."

X said, "I seek a word from the king before you send me to gaol. Your pervert judgment is against the prevailing rules of the kingdom."

"I agree. But then it only could be a mistake of the king and his rules . I cannot be responsible for that. Alright - Go and seek permission of king to discuss ," said the judge in response.

X met the king in his court and narrated to him the proceedings and the resulting judgement and sought, "so IMHO , this X is a misfit to be a judge and must be sacked forthwith. His way of looking at things is beyond us and would lead to skirmishes and anarchy in the kingdom and detrimental to peace among us. Today, as per his judgement I am being imprisoned. Tomorrow it could be you in prison. If you desire peace in the kingdom and save yourself, you should not hesitate to remove him from the office of judge of the kingdom. He may be right but he has us all. He will destroy all of us and this kingdom."

Understanding this, the king thought, "If this rich man X is judged to be a criminal, then according to his standards, I too will be equated with the biggest criminal of this kingdom and the judge (monk) will not hesitate to award a judgement against me leading to myself
    imprisoned. "

The king Immediately sacked the judge X .
    Feeling immensely relieved, X commented to the King,
    "His excellency, I told right then. You have wasted my time unnecessarily. You need a rogue to run the office of justice in this worst kingdom."

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024