Paid 1-1 Coaching For Coding Interview?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Rihana, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Looking for a 1-1 coach or tutor who can guide a recent grad in coding interview preparation. It has to be 1-1, online, no group classes, courses, or boot-camps.

Any suggestions on where to look for such 1-1 coach?

Laks09 and Thoughtful like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The grad has a B.S. in Cognitive Science with a minor in Computer Science. Volunteered as a UI designer in a family friend's company. Started the Online MS from Georgia Tech, dropped it as it was too challenging, and has now completed her MS in CS from a nondescript university.

DH and I both tried to help her. All the usual suspects were suggested - LeetCode, Algo Monster, Algo-expert, Gayle McDowell Java interview book, educative.io (grokking interview patterns). She got the paid versions but gets lost and won't listen to suggestions or study-plan that we helped her create.

At this point, I simply want to find a few 1-1 coach options and tell her to check them out. According to DH if she can't find and try out coaches, she is not ready for a job. So, I have to find the coach options and gracefully exit this project. Her mom is my friend, and I am tired of being caught between the mother and daughter. The girl argues a lot, discusses each suggestion to death, and does our Zoom calls from busy and noisy coffee places.

I've already checked reddit, craigslist, and the community sections of LeetCode etc.

3. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

Try preply.com

Rihana likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You have gone above and beyond.
    Tell her mom to land the helicopter.

shravs3 and Rihana like this.
  5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

why coding then.

Can she do or apply for testing roles. find some training which teaches automation (selenium) or RPA work - UIPath.

or Business analyst.

Sorry Coding is very lonely work need to be self motivated a lot .

The girl argues a lot, discusses each suggestion to death, and does our Zoom calls from busy and noisy
    coffee places.

bad work ethic. i would suggest you to slowly stay out of it.

Rihana likes this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

She could also find internships where she gets actual coding experience - preferably local offline, not online
    She could find some (even if it is without pay) and try it out and understand what needs to be done. She will learn on the job not only coding but also work styles, professionalism and interview skills.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Divyasaravanan

Divyasaravanan Silver IL'ite

If she really wants to get in to coding, my suggestion would be not to do one on one. In a group, when an instructor teaches, and some 6 to 7 students listen. They usually give some assignments and ask them to show it the next day, atleast the girl wouldn't want to lose infront of others and she might work

Rihana likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Did you try desi groups on Facebook particularly from Bay Area/ Seattle? ( or any other desi groups too) I’m sure someone might help

Rihana likes this.