Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks. Informative.
    Regards.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I was also under the impression that was a debut puzzle until I reviewed the puzzle index and noticed she did post a puzzle in 2014.

1Sandhya and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Removed as it is not necessary

4. Thyagarajan

This part SRI reminds me what is happening in small shrines & big temples of Tamil nadu where there is a strong urge to translate prefix to deities name into to pure tamil. Anywhere sanskrit is used, govt would erase it replacing sanskrit with pure Tamil. Sri is replaced with Tamil word “ARULMIGU”’
    It also reminds me of national news reader in her 9 O’Clock night AIR English news a parliament member name as Srimathi Azhagan instead Sri Madhi Azhagan.
    It is believed adding SRI to name prefixed or suffixed makes the person lucky. Late Actress SriDevi cross the mind! She came to act at age four as Bala Murugan in Tamil movie and died at age fifty four.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for not engaging well at all puzzlers!
    @sandhya - amazing puzzle. Very well put together. Even though Gitanjali came at the very first glance, everything else took time. Even after finding the answer I wondered why the well was there! Very smartly done indeed.

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi = Sri/Sree comes to me soon but I didn’t make that connection until Google threw Geetanjali Shree at me.

As with all kids who hate their names, I hated mine. I went to my mom one day and asked her why didn’t you name me Sree Lakshmi instead. I hate my name. And she told me I didn’t name you Sree Lakshmi because Sree and Lakshmi mean Lakshmi. I didn’t want to name you Lakshmi Lakshmi!
    Gosh how I yearned for my name to be Sree Lakshmi so I could shorten it to Sree and nobody would tease me for my huge old fashioned name again. Add to it my family name and all of my cousins joined in the fun. I was glad when my Mom decided to remove our matriarchal family name from our names and added our dad’s modern name as our last names.

7. Viswamitra

It is interesting to go through your questioning your mom. I was named Subramanyan by my parents initially and I was told they abbreviated it as Subbu. A bachelor living next door in Pune was responding to my mother's call. Hence they changed my name. I still use Subramanya Sharma when I do rituals. The changed name has Sri in it. My changed name translates into Possessor of wealth and is very popular in Kerala even though I am from Tamilnadu. When I lived in Trivandrum, many Keralites will switch to Malayalam automatically when I introduce myself. It is actually 9th name of the 12 names of Maha Vishnu that is recited during Achamanam.

Laks09, deepthyanoop and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

It could be Lakumi ( sound more of Tamil) or Luxmi ( modern and as pronounced by a Britisher)
    A britisher was struggling to say open the door and close the door instructions to hindi speaking watch man who was ignorant of English. He sought remedy from her ManFriday. She suggested to utter these two phrases. To say open - there was a cold day. To close there was a brown crow. You see it is all accent.

Laks09 and deepthyanoop like this.
  9. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I get you. I have a name that I don't like either. I often ask my mother (even today) why of all the names she could possibly think she chose to go with mine. :frown: If this wasn't enough, before printing the wedding invitation my then soon to be mother in law insisted we use the "sharma" name or whatever instead of my given name. Though my mother politely declined at first that I didn't have one but at some point, she had to give in and she goes with the name... Lakshmi! Really? :crybaby2:If my given name is ancient years old already, imagine how I felt about this or the fact that my wedding invitation had a name that was not even mine up until a day before! :buenrollo: :scream: Sigh.
    I like my father's name. Think it's cool and I never write or even mention my name without his following mine. I think I'll die if I had to. :eek: :lol: :facepalm:

Laks09, deepthyanoop and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This book has been sitting on my night stand for over a month. Not surprisingly, this one was an easy puzzle for me. My first search (Tagore + Well + Desert + daisy + island) led me to believe the puzzle had something to do with Tagore and Wells, the authors. I landed on a conversation Tagore had with H. G. Wells. I figured they collaborated on a story or article, or one of them mentioned/used the ideas of the other in one of their works. The fact that H.G. Wells wrote a story called ‘The Desert Daisy’ seemed like a pretty strong connection. It directly tied in 4 images! I spent some time trying to find evidence of a connection, but of course, I couldn’t find any mention of such a collaboration; It seemed like the only contact between the 2 men was that brief conversation in Geneva.

So I revisited the puzzle after a break and asked myself what would I see if I wasn’t looking with my bookworm brain. I mentally crossed off the most obvious (to me) words and ideas that came up when I saw each image, and then asked again ‘what else?’ That's when the sand and the tomb clicked and I knew it was the book. The other clues just fell into place like the last few answers in a crossword puzzle. A friend brought a copy from India early this summer. My mother finished reading it but I haven’t picked it up yet. She loved it but then she is a retired Hindi Lit professor! My familiarity with Hindi isn't what it used to be. I read some excerpts and I really like the writing. The language is lyrical, almost poetry in some parts, but complex; Her humor is dark and penetrating. Had to read some sentences 3-4 times to understand the author's meaning. I will get to it after Ponniyin Selvan.

RetSamadhi.jpeg

Srama, 1Sandhya, Thyagarajan and 3 others like this.