1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kids And Inappropriate Scenes At Tv

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Sweety2016, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

What do you generally do when an intimate scene like kissing or hugging or violence comes up in a movie when you are watching it along with your children? I generally am very cautious when I am watching TV with my 6year old daughter but there are times when even a very nice movie ends up having some scenes that are not very appropriate for kids.
    When she sees a girl in a bikini she exclaims shame! shame!
    When she sees a kissing scene, she trie to kiss me on the lips or asks why I and her dad won't kiss each other like the ones shown on TV. We try to divert her by hugging her and kissing her cheeks or forehead.
    She likes the Naatu Naatu song from RRR so when I kept the song on youtube to my utter dismay a condom advertisement popped up and I was unable to skip the ad. She kept asking me what it was and I felt embarrassed.
    She watched some parts of KGF-2 with her dad when I was busy with chores and was so fascinated that she ended up imitating Rocky. She was not perturbed by the violence but rather was amused by how he fights and considers him so stylish and heroic. After some time when I realized what was going on hell broke loose at home and it lead to an argument between me and H.

My H changes the channel abruptly if it is an intimate scene but if it is an action movie he is so lost in his whole world that he won't even realize that a kid is watching it with him. I have to shout and remind him to change.

In those situations, what do you do? Do you go with the flow or do you change the course abruptly?

Thyagarajan and bmaquarius like this.

2. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

We change if it's too much violence, bad language and blood.But we don't change if it's just kissing,hugging and bikinis..and also change if any bedroom scenes..never felt awkward if my kid see any kissing or hugging scenes.is'nt it natural

Thyagarajan and Sweety2016 like this.
  3. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

Just tell them it's grown ups who do it as an expression of love..teaching her about human relationships might help you here...again condom, sanitary pads need to be explained in an age appropriate manner...bottomline keep it simple cut out the details

Thyagarajan and Sweety2016 like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Kissing, hugging and dancing with short/bikini type dresses are so common, so we do not change the channel or show discomfort when such scenes come. We go with the flow, and kids do not take it differently.
    In fact my 8 year old has a bikini type dress and she loves it. She doesn't think it is a shame to wear such clothes.

Likewise, we do not change fight scenes as well. It is rather funny, and we made kids understand that no such fight happens in real life and not everytime a hero wins in real situations. So, they have understood the cinematic way of exposing a fight and hence they aren't amused.

But when bloody scenes like killing, raping, or extended intimate bedroom romance scenes, we do change the channel by telling the kids it is inappropriate for the kids.
    We simply do not feel embarrassed, but tell them not to watch such scenes which are not made for kids.

Now a days, kids themselves change the channel before our intervention. But we hardly watch movies at home, so these are rare occurrence.

5. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Thank you @SGBV @bmaquarius and @AppuMom for those useful suggestions. For a person who has been brought in a conservative background, all these are new learning experiences. How I wish I was more modern and confident in my growing years! I sincerely hope and wish that my daughter doesn't turn out to be like me...

Thyagarajan likes this.