1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Ailing Ukraine?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

MalStrom and Minion like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Let us not be so naive. The US saved humanity from Iraq and their weapons of mass destruction, didn't they? This could well turn out to be a similar case of 'saving humanity'. We don't know for sure.

mbharani and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

It was written to generate vitriolic humour.
    After hanging Saddam Hussain and attacking Iran for possessing or processing nuclear bombs, in a cartoon a reporter asked USA why they have not attacked North Korea? The response was astounding: “ ....but you see they really have nuclear bombs.”

satchitananda likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Weapons of mass destruction? Even the IAEA did not find any nuclear weapons in Iraq. That was just a way of bringing down Saddam Hussein, who was not US friendly and wanted to hit the US economy by starting a petroleum exchange in Europe wioth Euro as the trading currency instead of ds dollar. Had he succeeded in this . US economy and value of dollar would have nosedived. Believe me US is really delighted at the Ukraine crisis. It is looking at the prospect of boosting its economy through arms sales by its companies.

5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

[​IMG]

6. satchitananda

Exactly what I meant, Balajee. The 'weapons of mass destruction' were only an excuse.

7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

We know how this leader has provided solutions to problems so it is better to be neutral

Pakoda Solution

Sound Solution

Light Solution

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Come on Satchi. They are in the middle of a war zone. These are college kids. They are still kids. They are literally political pawns in this war game.
    They are left to fend for themselves and get themselves into neighboring countries. The people in Ukraine are hostile. Even you and I would not be happy. They went there to study feeling they were relatively safe and that safety has been shattered. It’s ok for them to vent a little.

satchitananda and Thoughtful like this.
  9. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Putin's Way

10. satchitananda

Laks, my heart also goes out to them, and to anybody, no matter what age, who are trapped in this war for no fault of theirs. Yes, they are political pawns - some are children of people in the opposition. Anybody would be severely distressed, and that is an understatement. However, the fact of the matter is:

1. The govt had been giving advisories since 15th Feb asking them to vacate ..... a total of about 8 advisories until the 24th. At that time they released videos mocking these advisories.

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1499405903673851913

https://twitter.com/i/status/1499743692109725696

2. At least one of them has pictures/videos on Twitter to prove he participated in antii-CAA protests against India on foreign soil - and this I can't accept. Sure, we can exercise of freedom of speech, criticize what we do not like, but you don't run your country down, no matter what, on foreign land. If we don't uphold the dignity of our country, then who will? Our country already has plenty of problems from outside.

3. I can understand their anxiety at the amount of time it is taking for evacuation, but to say it is 'not evacuation', 'we could have come on our own' etc. and then crib that their fare from Mumbai to their hometown was not paid (after they were air-lifted free of charge from wherever they managed to reach) is not justifiable. Yes, many had to walk to the borders - not a joke by any standards - but many were brought by buses arranged by the two sides. If there is ONE problem I find with the evacuation, it was asking students 60 kms from the Russian border to reach Poland on the other end. Evacuation through Russia was something that was the easier option and should have been considered earlier. If those students are upset, I can understand.

I do not agree with people asking them why they had to study abroad or foul mouthing them for the same. That is just plain ridiculous. But as young people (no, not 'children' as they are being labelled - they are adults, old enough to vote, old enough to make their own life decisions .....), it is time they start learning where to vent and where to exercise restraint and the meaning of gratitude (at least after coming back home safe and sound). Difficulties experienced can be presented reasonably, but to say that NOTHING was done for them, this is a propoganda activity by the govt. etc. ..... really? The US has not air-lifted any of their citizens, China has not lifted a finger, neither has Pakistan. Nigerians had a rough time too, but I don't know if they got a free ride home.

Surely these youngsters should understand (and given they are still unexperienced, it is the job of their parents to inculcate some sense in their offspring) that if they run down their own country abroad, those countries will use them to cause issues for us. They will not, however, respect these very youngsters and that is more than evident in the kind of treatment they get there in a crisis situation. And then they shout themselves hoarse about how the home country did 'nothing' to save them. They don't realize that it is the diplomatic efforts that India has brought to bear in the situation that allowed them to get to the borders in the first place - on foot or in buses or trains - without worse consequences.

Imagine the angst of the parents of the poor boy who was killed. If they complained, it is more than understandable. As I see it, the govt is doing its best, but we can't forget it is a war zone and the difficulties are to be expected. All we can hope is that the remaining students return home at the earliest, all safe and sound.

Anyway, in the midst of all this gloom, here is something to cheer everyone up.

P.S. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022