Prophet Muhammad---the Last Messenger !

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Yumna, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

In the Name of God,the Most Beneficent,the Ever Merciful !

Stories of the prophets

Shortly after the emigration to Abyssinia, the Muslims came back to Makkah; just 3 months later. They returned back because of one rumor. And that was that the Quraysh had accepted Islam.

Indeed, for anyone, the most difficult time of moving is the first few months, when you don't have a house, you don't have friends, you are not settled down, etc. It's so different from what you're used to - acclimatization, different language, different culture, etc. It's very difficult. And so some rumor spread that they just pounced on, and they embraced. And that rumor was that the Quraysh had accepted Islam. No matter how wild it sounded, their hearts were yearning to go back to Makkah so they decided to pack their bags and go all the way back, as they had no way to verify the rumor. On the way there, they discover this to be not true. The basis of the rumor was what some call the 'satanic verses'.

This is the version reported in Sahih Bukhari, thus the most authentic. And it says in this hadith, that in the month of Ramadan , the Prophet (peace be upon Him) recited Surah al-Najm in its entirety. It's a very powerful and eloquent surah. The momentum and the excitement builds up especially towards the end.It affected the entire congregation, Muslims and non-Muslims, so much that when the Prophet (peace be upon Him) recited the last verse, "Prostrate to Allah and worship Him," the Muslims fell into prostration, and the Quraysh were so emotional that they too fell into sajdah. For the first time, Muslims and non-Muslims united behind the Prophet(peace be upon Him). Except for al-Walid ibn al-Mughira who put sand to his head and said, "This is good enough for me." By the time this news reached to the 15 companions in Abyssinia, the rumor had been exaggerated.

The situation in Makkah remained status quo, and the Quraysh continued to torture and persecute the Muslims. In the meantime news spread amongst the Muslims about how good Abyssinia was in terms of freedom. They had freedom and safety in Abyssinia and that was enough. When the Muslims heard this, 40% if not 50% of them got together and said let's go to Abyssinia. That's a huge number.

So for the second emigration, more than 80 Muslims emigrated, headed by Jaafar ibn Abi Talib, the direct cousin of the Prophet (peace be upon Him).

And it was a huge embarrassment for the Quraysh, the custodians of the Haram, that their own people were leaving. And so when the Muslims migrated, they decided, "We cannot allow this emigration," and they sent two delegates, Amr ibn al-As and another person (scholars have differed who the second person was), to Abyssinia, to appeal directly to the Najashi, the king of Abyssinia.

Ummi Salama narrates, "When we landed in Abyssinia, we were treated very hospitably. The Negus granted us security and freedom; in fact we did not even hear any ridicule against us by the people. But then the Quraysh heard of our status, so then they plotted against us so they sent two strong men. And they loaded them with many gifts. When the two dignitaries arrived, the first thing they did was that they went to all the ministers of Najashi and gave each of them expensive gifts and leather. And they said, 'We have in your midst a group of rebels, and we want to take them back and we want you to support us in this cause. When we give the Negus (Najashi) his gifts, remember our gifts to you.' And the next day they speak to the Negus and said to him, 'Some foolish youth from amongst our nation are in your country, and they've invented a new religion. They've left ours and neither embraced yours. And the leaders of us have sent us to you so you can hand these young foolish people back to us.' And they presented the Negus with lots of fine gifts.

The ministers of court stood up and said, "O our ruler, what they have said makes sense, return them back to their people and let them deal with their affairs." So they all agreed with the two Qureshi. But Najashi said, “ I cannot hand them back after they have chosen my land. They have chosen me over all the other lands they could have chosen, and asked for my protection. The least that I can do is to listen to their side of the story."

In-Sha-Allah,To Be Continued...!

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

In the Name of God, the Most Beneficent, the Ever Merciful !

The king summoned the Muslims to the court and asked them to explain the teachings of their religion. Ja‘far bin Abu Talib stood up and addressed the king:

"O king! we were plunged in the depth of ignorance and barbarism; we adored idols, we lived an unchaste life, we ate the dead bodies, and we spoke abominations, we disregarded every feeling of humanity, and the duties of hospitality and neighborhood were neglected; we knew no law but that of the strong, when Allah raised among us a man, of whose birth, truthfulness, honesty, and purity we were aware; and he called to the Oneness of God , and taught us not to associate anything with HIM. He forbade us the worship of idols; and he enjoined us to speak the truth, to be faithful to our trusts, to be merciful and to regard the rights of the neighbors and kith and kin; he forbade us to speak evil of women, or to eat the substance of orphans; he ordered us to fly from the vices, and to abstain from evil; to offer prayers, to render alms, and to observe fast. We have believed in him, we have accepted his teachings and his injunctions to worship ONE GOD , and not to associate anything with HIM.
    For this reason, our people have risen against us, have persecuted us .They have tortured and injured us, until finding no safety among them, we have come to your country, and hope you will protect us from oppression".

The king was very much impressed by these words and asked the Muslims to recite some of the Revelation (Qur’an). Ja‘far recited the opening verses of Surah Maryam (Chapter 19 — Mary)

He recited all of the story of Jesus and Maryam in Surah Maryam

Thereupon the king, along with the bishops of his realm, were moved to tears.Here, the Najashi exclaimed: "It seems as if these words and those which were revealed to Jesus are the rays of the light which have radiated from the same source." Turning to the crest-fallen envoys of Quraish, he said, " I cannot give you back these refugees. They are free to live and worship in my realm as they please”.

As they (quraysh) left, Amr said to his companion, "Don't worry, I have one final trick, we will come back tomorrow."

The next day they went to King again and said, "we forgot to mention to you one thing, that they say something blasphemous about your God, Jesus."

Again the Muslims were summoned and asked what they thought and say of Jesus. Ja‘far again stood up and replied: "We speak about Jesus as we have been taught by our Prophet [peace be upon Him] , that is, he is the servant of Allah , HIS Messenger, HIS spirit and HIS Word breathed into the Virgin Maryam."

The king at once remarked, "So do we believe”.

Najashi returned the Quraish, the gifts they had brought with them and sent them away. The Muslims lived in Abyssinia (Ethiopia) for a number of years till they returned to Madinah.

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Two Major Conversions in Makkah

(1) Hamzah ibn Abdul Muttalib; and (2) Umar ibn al-Khattab.

The first of them was Hamzah ibn Abdul Muttalib - the uncle of the Prophet (Peace be upon Him).It is recorded that the Prophet [peace be upon Him] was one day seated on the hillock of Safa when Abu Jahl happened to pass by and accused the religion preached by him. Muhammad [peace be upon Him] , however, kept silent and did not respond. Abu Jahl went on unchecked, took a stone and cracked the Prophet’s head which began to bleed.

It so happened that shortly after that, Hamzah, while returning from a hunting expedition, passed by the same way, his bow hanging by his shoulder. A slave-girl belonging to ‘Abdullah bin Jada‘an, who had noted the impertinence of Abu Jahl, told him the whole story of the attack on the Prophet [peace be upon Him] . On hearing that, Hamzah was deeply offended and hurried to the Ka‘bah and there, in the courtyard of the Holy Sanctuary, found Abu Jahl sitting with a company of Quraishites. Hamzah rushed upon him and struck the bow upon his head violently and said: "Ah! You have been abusing Muhammad [peace be upon Him] ; I too follow his religion and profess what he preaches." The men of Bani Makhzum came to his help, and men of Bani Hashim wanted to render help, but Abu Jahl sent them away saying: "Let him alone, I did revile his nephew shamelessly.

Then Hamzah returned home confused and dazed, "What am I going to do now? I don't know if this [religion] is the truth or not!" And so Hamzah made a supplication, "O Allah, you know I am a leader of the Quraysh. And I've said something that I cannot take back. So if this matter is true, guide my heart to it. And if it's not true, cause me to die right now.", he spent the most miserable night of his life.

In fact, Hamzah’s conversion derived initially from the pride of a man who would not accept the notion of others humiliating his relative.

The next morning he went to the Prophet [peace be upon Him] and told him the whole story. The Prophet began talking to him and explaining until Hamzah was convinced and said, "I testify you are speaking the truth and now I don't want to go back to the religion of my forefathers".

This was a huge boost for the Prophet [peace be upon Him] as Hamzah was the senior most Qureshi to convert up until this point. He was the son of Abdul Muttalib, and the brother of Abu Talib and he proved to be a source of great strength.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Umar ibn al-Khattab:

Another significant addition to the strength of Islam was the conversion of Umar Al-Khattab, three days following the conversion of Hamzah.

He was a man of dauntless courage and resolution, feared and respected in Makkah, and hitherto a bitter opponent of the new religion.

It's narrated that once Umar went out during the evening with a craving for drinking. He went to the house where all of the young men would go and drink and he found none of them were there. He went to another house but for some reason they too were not there. He went to the wine seller, but even the wine seller wasn't there. So he said, "Let me just go to Ka’bah and do tawaf," just to get his mind off the craving. So he went to the Ka'bah and he heard the Prophet (peace be upon Him) reciting Qur'an all alone in the middle of the night. And so Umar thought to himself, "Now is my time to beat this person up." So he crept up behind the Prophet (peace be upon Him), but he found him reciting something - the Qur'an. Of course just like the rest of the Quraysh, Umar never listened to the Qur'an wholeheartedly - so he stopped and began listening. Even the Prophet (peace be upon Him) didn't know Umar was there.

Umar is narrating this story himself in Musnad Imam Ahmad.Umar said he was amazed at the rhythm and power of the surah (al-Haqqah). And while the Prophet(peace be upon Him) was reciting, Umar began to think, "Where is this coming from? This must be the statement of a beautiful poet just like the Quraysh are saying." As soon as he thought of this, Surah al-Haqqah said, "And it is not the word of a poet; little do you believe." Then Umar thought, "It must the word of a sooth-sayer/magician." Then the Prophet(peace be upon Him) recited, "Nor the word of a soothsayer; little do you remember." Umar thought: "Then what is it?!" Surah al-Haqqah: "[It is] a revelation from the Lord of the worlds." Umar thought: "And what if he is inventing it?!" Surah al-Haqqah: "And if Muhammad had made up about US some [false] sayings. WE would have seized him by the right hand; Then We would have cut from him the aorta." And Umar listened until the Prophet(peace be upon Him) finished the entire surah. Umar later said, "That was the first time Islam entered my heart.

However, the deep-seated traditions as well as the blind pride in his forefathers overshadowed the essence of the great Truth that began to feel its way reluctantly into his heart.

His sharp temper and excessive enmity towards the Prophet (peace be upon Him) led him one day to leave his house with sword in hand, with the intention of killing the Prophet(peace be upon Him) . He was in a fit of anger and was fuming.

Nuaim bin ‘Abdullah, a friend of Umar and who was a fresh secret convert, met him accidentally half way. What had caused so much excitement in him and on whom was the fury to burst, he inquired casually. ‘Umar said furiously: "To destroy the man Muhammad (peace be upon Him) , who has shattered the unity of Quraish, picked holes in our religion, found folly with the wise men and blasphemed our gods." "‘Umar, I am sure, your soul has deceived you, do you think that Banu ‘Abd Munaf would let you walk on earth if you slain Muhammad (peace be upon Him)? Why don’t you take care of your own family first and set them right?"

"Which of the folk of my house?" asked ‘Umar angrily. "Your brother-in-law and your sister have apostatized (meaning to say: They have become followers of Muhammad (peace be upon Him) and abandoned your religion. Umar marched to his sister's house in anger and as he came close to the door, he heard the recitation of the Qur'an. This was because every time someone converted, the Prophet (peace be upon Him) would assign a teacher to the new convert.The one who was assigned to teach Umar's sister Fatima bint al-Khattab and her husband , was Khabbab ibn al-Aratt.Khabbab was teaching the Qur'an to Fatima and her husband Sa'ad, and Umar was hearing this through the door.

He then bangs the door asking to open it and out of fear, Khabbab hides in the closet. Fatimah, took hold of the parchment and hid it. But ‘Umar had already heard the voice. "What sound was that I have heard just now?" shouted Umar, entering the home angrily. Both his sister and her husband replied, "You heard nothing." “By Allah, I know what I heard! I know now that both of you have accepted Islam!" They continued to deny it, and Umar was already enraged so he took a step forward to punch Sa'ad ibn Zayd. But Fatima got in the way so the blow landed on her instead of him - the blood began to flow down. When this happened, both Fatima and Sa'ad became enraged they said, "Yes! We have accepted Islam and we believe in the Prophet(peace be upon Him)! Do as you please!"

When ‘Umar saw the face of his dear sister besmeared with blood, he was softened and said: "Let me see what you were reading, so that I may see what Muhammad (peace be upon Him) has brought."

Sa'ad saw he had completely calmed down, and so when Umar requested to see the Prophet (peace be upon Him), Sa'ad took him to the House of al-Arqam with the sword still in his hand. Umar then bangs on the door of al-Arqam's house and when one of the companions peeped through a chink in the door and reeled back exclaiming: "It is ‘Umar with his sword."

Hamzah, dispelling the fears of his friends, said: "Let him in. As a friend he is welcome. As a foe, he will have his head cut off with his own sword." The Prophet (peace be upon Him) asked his Companions to open the door. In came the Umar ibn al-khattab. The Prophet (peace be upon Him) advanced to receive the dreadful visitor, caught him by his garment and scabbard, and asked him the reason of his visit. At that ‘Umar replied: "O Messenger of Allah(peace be upon Him), I come to you to believe in Allah and his Messenger and that which he has brought from his Lord."

The conversion of ‘Umar was a real triumph for the cause of Islam. So great and instant was the effect of his conversion on the situation that the believers who had hitherto worshiped Allah within their four walls in secret now assembled and performed their rites of worship openly in the Holy Sanctuary itself. This raised their spirits, and dread and uneasiness began to seize Quraish.

With respect to the Muslims in Makkah, ‘Umar’s conversion had a different tremendous impact. Mujahid, on the authority of Ibn Al-‘Abbas [R], related that he had asked ‘Umar why he had been given the epithet of Al-Farouque (he who distinguishes truth from falsehood), he replied: After I had embraced Islam, I asked the Prophet(peace be upon Him): ‘Aren’t we on the right path here and Hereafter?’ The Prophet(peace be upon Him) answered: ‘Of course you are! I swear by Allah in Whose Hand my soul is, that you are right in this world and in the hereafter.’ I, therefore, asked the Prophet(peace be upon Him) ‘Why we then had to conduct clandestine activism. I swear by Allah Who has sent you with the Truth, that we will leave our concealment and proclaim our noble cause publicly.’ We then went out in two groups, Hamzah leading one and I the other. We headed for the Mosque in broad daylight when the Quraish saw us, their faces went pale and got incredibly depressed and resentful. After that very occasion, the Prophet(peace be upon Him) attached to me the epithet of Al-Farouque. Ibn Mas‘ud [R] related that the Muslims had never been able to observe their religious rites inside the Holy Sanctuary except when ‘Umar embraced Islam.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Social Boycott

With the conversions of Hamzah and Umar , the Quraysh felt threatened.

It's said that in the 7th year of Call, all the Qureshi tribes got together and agreed, "We need to kill Muhammad." And they said, "How can we do it? The Banu Hashim is not going to give him over to us." So they said, "We will offer whatever blood money they want. And we'll even conceit to them that none of us will kill him - we'll pay some other tribes to do the job." So for the final time they went to Abu Talib and say to him, "You don't have a choice - either hand over Muhammad—and we will give you whatever blood money and it won't even be a Quraysh who will do the job—OR we will have to cut you off from the Quraysh." Again this is absolutely unprecedented. "How are you gonna cut us off? We're blood relatives." They said, "None of us will allow you to get any food or water; we'll boycott you; we'll cut off all marriages with you; there will be no business transactions." etc. When they came to Abu Talib like this, he became furious and said, "Do as you please, I will never hand my nephew over to you."

He, therefore, assembled his kinsfolk of Bani Hashim and Bani Al-Muttalib, sons of ‘Abd Munaf and exhorted them to immunize and defend his nephew. All of them responded positively except his brother Abu Lahab, who sided with the opposite.

Muhammad’s [peace be upon Him] refusal to negotiate any sort of compromise and then the pact drawn up between Banu Muttalib and Banu Hashim to immunize Muhammad [peace be upon Him] and shield him against any treacherous attempt to kill him. The Quraysh were baffled and at a loss as to what course they would follow to rid themselves of this obstinate and relentless obstacle that had appeared to shatter to pieces their whole tradition of life. They had already been aware that if they killed Muhammad [peace be upon Him] their blood would surely flow profusely in the valleys of Makkah and they would certainly be exterminated. Taking this dreadful prospect into consideration, they grudgingly resorted to a different iniquitous course that would not imply murder.

In order to solidify this, the Quraysh wrote a treaty/pact amongst themselves that nobody will buy and sell to the two tribes, nobody will marry into or from them, and nobody will socialize with them. So it was a boycott of an economic, political, and social level. And they hung this treaty inside the Ka'bah. And of course nobody walks in and out of the Ka'bah, so they locked the door and left it hanging in there.

Abu Talib wisely and quietly took stock of the situation and decided to withdraw to a valley on the eastern outskirts of Makkah. Banu Hashim and Banu Al-Muttalib, who followed suit, were thus confined within a narrow pass (Shi‘b of Abu Talib), from the beginning of Muharram, the seventh year of Muhammad’s mission till the tenth year, viz., a period of three years. It was a stifling siege. The supply of food was almost stopped and the people in confinement faced great hardships. The Quraysh used to buy whatever food commodities entered Makkah lest they should leak to the people in Ash-Shi‘b, who were so over-strained that they had to eat leaves of trees and skins of animals. Cries of little children suffering from hunger used to be heard clearly. Nothing to eat reached them except, on few occasions.

One of the main sources of food was that every few weeks someone felt sympathy for them and sent in secret supplies of food. The most famous of them was Mut'im ibn Adi and Hakim ibn Hizam.

Even when foreigners came, Abu Jahal would say, "Don't sell to these people; I will pay double whatever they are offering." Even though foreigners are not barred like the Quraysh, but Abu Jahal would still prevent them from selling to the Banu Hashim/Banu Muttalib.

During ‘the prohibited months’ — when hostilities traditionally ceased, they would leave their confinement and buy food coming from outside Makkah. Even then, the food stuff was unjustly overpriced so that their financial situation would fall short of finding access to it. It was a very difficult and traumatic time for them.

This situation ultimately created dissension amongst the various Makkan factions, who were tied with the besieged people by blood relations. After three years of blockade and in Muharram, the tenth year of Muhammad’s mission, the pact was broken. Hisham bin ‘Amr, who used to smuggle some food to Bani Hashim secretly at night, went to see Zuhair bin Abi Omaiyah Al-Makhzoumy and reproached him for resigning to that intolerable treatment meted out to his uncles in exile. The latter pleaded impotence, but agreed to work with Hisham and form a pressure group that would secure the extrication of the exiles. On the ground of motivation by uterine relations, there emerged a group of five people who set out to abrogate the pact and declare all relevant clauses null and void. They were Hisham bin ‘Amr, Zuhair bin Abi Omaiya, Al-Mut‘im bin ‘Adi, Abu Al-Bukhtari and Zam‘a bin Al-Aswad. They decided to meet in their assembly place and start their self-charged mission from the very precinct of the Sacred House. Zuhair, after circumambulating seven times, along with his colleagues approached the hosts of people there and rebuked them for indulging in the amenities of life whereas their kith and kin of Bani Hashim were perishing on account of starvation and economic boycott. They swore they would never relent until the parchment of boycott was torn to piece and the pact broken at once. Abu Jahl, standing nearby, retorted that it would never be torn. Zam‘a was infuriated and accused Abu Jahl of telling lies, adding that the pact was established and the parchment was written without seeking their approval. Al-Bukhtari intervened and backed Zam‘a. Al-Mut‘im bin ‘Adi and Hisham bin ‘Amr attested to the truthfulness of their two companions. Abu Jahl, with a cunning attempt to liquidate the hot argument that was running counter to his malicious goals, answered that the issue had already been resolved sometime and somewhere before.

Abu Talib meanwhile was sitting in a corner of the Mosque. He came to communicate to them that a Revelation had been sent to his nephew, the Prophet [peace be upon Him] to the effect that ants had eaten away all their proclamation that smacked of injustice and aggression except those parts that bore the Name of Allâh. He contended that he would be ready to give Muhammad [peace be upon Him] up to them if his words proved untrue, otherwise, they would have to recant and repeal their boycott. The Makkans agreed to the soundness of his proposition.They went to see the parchment and discovered that indeed it was eaten away by ants and nothing was left save the part bearing (in the Name of Allâh).The proclamation was thus abrogated, and Muhammad [peace be upon Him] and the other people were permitted to leave Ash-Sh‘ib and return home.

[ source: The Sealed Nectar and arqadhi blogspot]

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

The Final Phase of Negotiation

Sooner after the boycott ended, Abu-Talib was caught in a persistent illness and physical enervation.

Ibn Ishaq and others related: "When a serious illness caught Abu Talib, the people of Quraysh began to deliberate on the situation and reviewed the main features that characterized that period and which included the conversion of ‘Umar and Hamzah to Islam, coupled with the tremendous stir that Muhammad [pbuh] had created amongst all the tribes of Quraysh. They then deemed it imperative to see Abu Talib before he died to pressure his nephew to negotiate a compromise on the various disputed points. They were afraid that the other Arabs might attribute to them the charge of opportunism."

The delegation of Quraysh comprised 25 men including notables like ‘Utbah bin Rabi‘a, Shaibah bin Rabi‘a, Abu Jahl bin Hisham, Omaiyah bin Khalaf, Abu Sufyan bin Harb. They first paid tribute to him and confirmed their high esteem of his person and position among them. They then shifted to the new give-and-take policy that they claimed they wanted to follow. To substantiate their argument they alleged that they would refrain from intervening in his religion if he did the same. Abu Talib summoned his nephew and apprised him of the minutes of his meeting with them, and said: "Well, my nephew, here are the celebrities of your people. They have proposed this meeting to submit a policy of mutual concessions and peaceful coexistence." The Messenger of Allâh [peace be upon Him] turned to them saying:"I will guide you to the means by which you will gain sovereignty over both the Arabs and non-Arabs."In another version, the Prophet [peace be upon Him] addressed Abu Talib in the following words: "O uncle! Why don’t you call them unto something better?" Abu Talib asked him, "What is it that you invite them to?" The Prophet [peace be upon Him] replied, "I invite them to hold fast to a Message that is bound to give them access to kingship over the Arabs and non-Arabs." According to Ibn Ishaq’s version, "It is just one word that will give you supremacy over the Arabs and non-Arabs." The Makkan deputies were taken by incredible surprise and began to wonder what sort of word was that which would benefit them to that extent. Abu Jahl asked, "What is that word? I swear by your father that we will surely grant you your wish followed by ten times as much." He said, "I want you to testify that there is no god worthy to be worshipped but Allah, and then divest yourselves of any sort of worship you harbour for any deities other than Allah." They immediately clapped their hands in ridicule, and said "How can you expect us to combine all the gods in One God. It is really something incredible." On their way out leaving, they said to one another, "By god this man will never relent, nor will he offer any concessions. Let us hold fast to the religion of our forefathers, and Allah will in due course adjudicate and settle the dispute between us and him." As regards this incident, Allah revealed the following verses:

"Sâd: By the Qur’an full of reminding. Nay, those who disbelieve are in false pride and Apposition. How many a generations WE have destroyed before them, and they cried out when there was no longer time for escape! And they (Arab pagans) wonder that a warner (Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon Him]) has come to them from among themselves! And the disbelievers say, ‘This (Prophet) is a sorcerer, a liar. Has he made the gods (all) into One God. Verily, this is a curious thing!’ And the leaders among them went about (saying): ‘Go on, and remain constant to your gods! Verily, this is a thing designed ! We have not heard the like of this among the people of these later days. This is nothing but an invention."
    [Qur'an 38:1-7]

In-Sha-Allah,To Be Continued !

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Death Of Abu-Taalib:

Barely 5-6 weeks after this, Abu Talib fell sick and eventually passed away.

In Bukhari (Book of authentic statements of Prophet) it's narrated, "When Abu Talib reached the nearness of his death, the Prophet [peace be upon Him] visited his uncle while Abu Jahal was there and said, "O my uncle, make the profession [testifying that there is no God but Allah and Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon Him) is his Messenger]. So I can argue in front of Allah in your behalf.

Abu Jahl and ‘Abdullah bin Abi Omaiyah addressing him said: "Abu Talib, would you abandon the religion of ‘Abdul-Muttalib?" The Messenger of Allâh [peace be upon Him] constantly requested him to testify, and on the other hand they repeated the same statement ( Abu Jahl and ‘Abdullah bin Abi Omaiyah) — till Abu Talib gave his final decision and he stuck to the religion of ‘Abdul-Muttalib.

In Ibn Ishaq, it is said that when the Quraysh left, Abu Talib told Prophet (peace be upon Him), "I would've testified were it not for the fact that my people would accuse me that now I'm about to die and so I accept your religion out of fear’.

Soon after this, may be same day or a day after (Allah knows best)…Abu-Talib died. It was his son Ali Ibn Abi Talib who came to inform Prophet (peace be upon Him) about his death.

Khadijah (may Allah be pleased with her) passed away :

The Messenger of Allâh [peace be upon her] experienced another great personal loss as his wife Khadija (may Allah be pleased with her) passed away on the 10th Ramadan, less than 40 days after the death of his uncle Abu Talib.

And the companions reported that after her death, "We didn't see the Prophet [peace be upon Him]smile for months." And indeed these two persons were so important and beloved to the Prophet (peace be upon Him).And the death of these two caused the Prophet [peace be upon Him] immense grief that the whole year was called the Year of Sorrow.

The After-Effects of the Death of Abu Talib:

These two painful events took place within a short lapse of time and added a lot to his grief and suffering.

Ibn Ishaq says: After the death of Abu Talib, the Quraysh increased the persecution of the Prophet [peace be upon Him] like never before. With the death of Abu Talib the Quraysh could finally come out what they were forced to hide in the time of Abu Talib. His Companions were on equal footing subjected to unspeakable torture and unbearable oppression.

After the death of Abu Talib, Abu Lahab instantly took charge since he was the most senior Hashimi alive. As a result of this, life in Makkah became almost impossible and this is when the Prophet [peace be upon Him] began thinking of leaving Makkah and the first place that he (peace be upon Him) thought to go was Taa'if.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

In Shawwal (last of May or in the beginning of June 619 A.D.), ten years after receiving his mission from his Lord, the Prophet (peace be upon Him) set out towards At-Ta’if, about 60 kilometres from Makkah, in the company of his freed slave Zaid bin Haritha inviting people to Islam. But contrary to his expectations, the general atmosphere was terribly hostile.

He (peace be upon Him) approached the family of ‘Umair, who were reckoned among the nobility of the town. But, to his disappointment, all of them turned deaf ear to his message and used abusive language as regards the noble cause he had been striving for. Three brothers from the chieftains of Thaqeef —‘Abd Yaleel, Mas‘ud and Habeeb — sons of ‘Amr bin ‘Umair Ath-Thaqafy met the Prophet(peace be upon Him), who invited them to embrace Islam and worship Allâh, but they impudently jeered at him and refused his invitation.One said,"If Allah has sent you as a prophet, I might as well tear down the curtains of the Ka'bah (in remorse). "Has not Allah found someone else to entrust him with HIS Message?" said the second. "I swear by Allah that I will never have any contact with you. If you are really the Messenger of Allah, then you are too serious to retort back; and if you are belying Allah, then I feel it is imperative not to speak to." said the third. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon Him), finding that they were hopeless cases, stood up and left them saying: "Should you indulge in these practices of yours, never divulge them to me."

For ten days he (peace be upon Him) stayed there delivering his message to several people, one after another, but all to no purpose. Stirred up to hasten the departure of the unwelcome visitor, the people hooted him through the alley-ways, pelted him with stones and obliged him to flee from the city pursued by a relentless rabble. Blood flowed down both his legs; and Zaid, endeavoring to shield him, was wounded in the head. The mob did not desist until they had chased him two or three miles across the sandy plains to the foot of the surrounding hills.There, wearied and exhausted, he took refuge in one of the numerous orchards, and rested against the wall of a vineyard. At a time when the whole world seemed to have turned against him, Muhammad(peace be upon Him) turned to his Lord and betook himself to prayer and the following touching words are still preserved as those through which his oppressed soul gave vent to its distress. He(peace be upon Him) was weary and wounded but confident of the help of his Lord:

"O Allah! To You alone I make complaint of my helplessness, the paucity of my resources and my insignificance before mankind. You are the most Merciful. You are the Lord of the helpless and the weak, O Lord of mine! Into whose hands would You abandon me: into the hands of an unsympathetic distant relative who would sullenly frown at me, or to the enemy who has been given control over my affairs? But if Your wrath does not fall on me, there is nothing for me to worry about. I seek protection in the light of Your Countenance, which illuminates the heavens and dispels darkness, and which controls all affairs in this world as well as in the Hereafter. May it never be that I should incur Your wrath, or that You should be wrathful to me. And there is no power nor resource, but Yours alone."

Seeing him in this helpless situation, Rabi‘a’s two sons, were moved on grounds of kinship and compassion, and sent to him one of their Christian servants with a tray of grapes.

Prophet didn't know that this garden belonged to Utbah and Shaybah ibn Rabi'ah; a distant cousin of the Prophet's father.

The Prophet(peace be upon Him) accepted the fruit with pious invocation: "In the Name of the Allah." The Christian servant ‘Addas was greatly impressed by these words and said: "These are words which people in this land do not generally use." The Prophet (peace be upon Him)inquired of him whence he came. ‘Addas replied: "I am a Christian by faith and i come from Nineveh." The Prophet (peace be upon Him)then said: "You belong to the city of the righteous Jonah (Yunus), son of Matta." Addas was shocked and said, "How did you know Jonah ibn Matta? Nobody in this part of land has ever heard of him at all." The Prophet (peace be upon Him)said, "How do I not know Yunus. He is my brother; and I am his brother. We are both prophets of Allah." Thereupon ‘Addas paid homage to Muhammad (peace be upon Him)and kissed his hands.

Heart-broken and depressed, Muhammad (peace be upon Him)set out on the way back to Makkah. When he reached Qarn Al-Manazil, Allah- the Almighty sent him Angel Gabriel together with the angel of mountains.

Full narration of this event was given by ‘Aisha (May Allah be pleased with her). She said: "I asked the Prophet (peace be upon Him) if he had ever experienced a worse day than Uhud. He answered that he had suffered a lot from those people (the idolaters) but the most painful was on the day of ‘Aqabah. I went seeking support from Ibn ‘Abd Yalil bin ‘Abd Kalal, but he spurned me. I set out wearied and grieved heedless of anything around me until I suddenly realized I was in Qarn Ath-Tha‘alib, called Qarn Al-Manazil. There, I looked up and saw a cloud casting its shade on me, and Gabriel addressing me: Allah has heard your people’s words and sent you the angel of mountains to your aid. The latter called and gave me his greetings and asked for my permission to bury Makkah between Al-Akhshabain, the two mountains flanking Makkah. I said in reply that I would rather have someone from their loins who will worship Allah, the All–Mighty with no associate." [Bukhari 1/458; Muslim 2/109]

Source: The Sealed Nectar

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister Yumna,

My sincere gratitude to you for summarizing these precious stories of Prophet in an easily understandable way to someone like me. I truly enjoyed reading and I am in the second page of this wonderful thread.

First of all the words "In fact, there is nothing like Muslim God, Hindu God, Christian God ,Sikh God or so n so God. GOD IS GOD. So when I say Allah, I am referring to ONE who is the Creator", reverberate and will continue to reverberate to me for a long time.

I never knew there were around 360 idols around the Ka'bah of various shapes and sizes, some in the shape of full human bodies; some in the shape of animals, and some in the shape of half human & half animal. They must be preserved and protected for years and years and there is more to learn from those idols. The ancestors kept those holy idols around Ka'bah for a reason.

More to come in my subsequent responses.

Yumna likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Most of the time God reveals Himself for the benefit of the humanity and it comes in the form of a dream or revelation when one is conscious. It is imperative to build that will power to follow up with those dreams especially when they are repetitive.

Thank you sharing the Lineage of Prophet.

Yumna likes this.