1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hate Begets Hate

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 3, 2021.

1. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Maybe few. But most came from there.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Please don't believe in all whatsApp group messages or forward it without checking that facts ( recent Bangladesh issues, for example, aggravated due to social media involvement to some extent) . Most of them are false. But they are very intelligently crafted by mixing real facts and lies. These messages link the name of people, who dont have any clue that their name is added in this propaganda.
    I understand that Kerala government also supports temples through Devaswam boards. Why don't they talk about that.
    Viral Message Shows Incorrect Data on Madrasas in Kerala ( the minister's name used, but he didn't say that way, it looks like )
    Madrasa teachers not paid from state exchequer: Kerala govt

What I understood is that Kerala is no 1 state in India many aspects . (Data | Which are the best governed States in India? )
    Certain party couldn't win any seats in last election and trying to tarnish the image of State by portraying it as a terrorist breeding center. Some political parties are using religion and trying to create communal issues there, but people of that state are living happily and very cautious against this. They want to maintain the harmony there. I am against anyone mixing politics and religion. Most of the issues were/ are created that way.

So, please don't believe any of these WhatsApp messages on any State, people or groups without validating facts. Certain groups have social media wings to spread lies for their benefits .
    If we spread these forwards, we will most likely be participating in spreading their lies.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Agathinai, Laks09, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.
  3. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Column: Is India Headed for an Anti-Muslim Genocide?

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

That stage will not come for the simple reason that except in the Northern State of UP in particular and Bihar, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh in general, both communities are living in comparative peace, though every effort is made to divide. Besides, let us not forget only about 33% of voters vote for BJP, the Hindutva crusader.
    However, a lie spoken 100 times has the potential of being true for those who are blind.

5. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gauri,

I have A, B, C, D and E in my office who are all muslims. A is the one I had this conversation with. I do not hold B, C, D and E responsible for A's opinions/ views. Infact, E was actually my manager at a point of time and honestly speaking, he was fair and just and even now, when i think of him, religion doesn't come into my mind.

What i was trying to say then and now is that, the so called representatives who are voicing out their views which reflect a fanaticism are increasing in their number - something we should be wary of IMO.

Nope...watching a Pakistani serial, or preferring a Pakistani Biryani is not wrong. But Putting something down just to show your support for another is wrong.

I am sure even you would agree with me when i say that the topic of conversation is just half the conversation. The non-verbal aspects play a major role. For me, any conversation should be organic and not brought up randomly with the intention of selling the thought or shoving it down my throat.

Combine this 'India has bad fashion sense', 'India doesnt have proper serials', 'Indian biryani recipes are not authentic", "Indian education system is pathetic", "Indian weather is horrible", "Indian morality is going down day by day",...and the list goes on.....WITH "Pakistani dresses awesome and they are available in Lucknow/ Pune for less price", "Pakistani biryani recipes are awesome or chefs are good, "Pakistani serials are way much better and teach how a society should live or conduct themselves", "Pakistani players did an amazing job"...... AND talking about these things continuously at randomly without any precedence, just inserting it here and there is not right.

Sometimes in life, we come across situations where our gut feeling is so powerful and tells us something while the situation on hand may seem nothing out of ordinary. This was one such incident for me. I still choose to trust my gut feeling here. I am choosing to be wary of A.

This is based on my personal experience. My husband has quite a few of his own. His experiences scare him so much that we avoid going to certain areas now just because of this. The office incident i quoted is one of the normal ones for us. The others are on a different level that even in an anonymous forum, i am not comfortable in indulging and divulging.

Until an issue comes to our doorstep, it never is an issue for any of us. It reached mine so I take this stand. I don't go out and yell at them, I don't talk back to them until absolutely necessary on any aggravating topic and for that matter, i never even engage much with them. But i am wary of them, i don't trust them, and I am ensuring my children don't pay the price of my negligence in this issue.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  6. HariLakhera

I hope Gauri will be replying to your observations. The only suggestion I can make is 'just ignore and laugh it away. They may be talking among themselves and not to make you angry. The more you give attention to what they are talking about, the more they will try to tease. Fortunately, we had Muslims colleagues and sailed smoothly.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi beautifullife30, thanks for your response.

I see your point. And I hope you see how it reiterates what I was saying in the first place. B, C, D and E coarsely represent 80% of Muslims in India. Even if 20% were fanatic — a grossly inflated estimate I'm certain — why should the other 80% bear the cross of their sins? Shouldn’t your positive experiences with B, C, D and E make you less wary of ‘them’?

Isn't rising fanaticism a problem on both sides? I don't remember a time when Hindu intolerance was at the levels it is today. If Muslims are more vocal about their dissatisfaction with the country isn't some of it attributable to the forced saffronization of India? If you make an entire group of people feel like second class citizens and repeatedly question their right to belong, is it a surprise they react with bitterness and seek belonging elsewhere?

Imagine being the citizen of a country that relegates your language, culture, food and history to irrelevance. Muslims have a long history in India, at least a 1000 years. Yet our leaders would like nothing more than to erase those 1000 years from the history books and our lives. We change the names of cities that have existed for centuries with mythological names that have tenuous connections to present day reality. If a Hindu festival is referred to using Urdu words we throw a tantrum. We lynch people for consuming beef within the country while being one of the largest exporters of beef in the world. We are a nation that emerged from the confluence of peoples and ideas that flowed into the subcontinent over millennia — from the Indus valley civilization to the British colonists. Each of them added, enriched and ultimately transformed our culture into what it is today. Not all of our history is pleasant, history never is, but it has made us who we are. Now we have a government attempting to replace this cultural potpourri with a puritanical upper-caste Hindu fantasy world. Pretending that we are the direct descendants of Sanskrit speaking sages is deluding ourselves. Hindus today are tinged with Buddhist, Jain, Sikh, and Islamic influences. Our food, rituals, beliefs and language have been altered by these influences. We even have a little of the Portuguese and British in us. Without the Portuguese there would be no peanuts, tomatoes or chillies in our diet. The Brits brought us sweet potatoes, potatoes and cauliflower. In our quest for Hindutva-approved purity are we willing to revert to Vedic diets? Can you imagine Indian food without chillies? To think our great sages never tasted samosa or masala dosa. No thank you!

Instead of embracing our shared heritage, our leaders want to take a time machine back to some mythical golden past and relive it. If Muslims react to this othering of their history and culture by rejecting what is being imposed on them and embracing the closest reflection of themselves, i.e., the neighboring nation, is it that far fetched? It may not be nice, but is it not understandable? It is not an easy truth to swallow but we need to accept the role we have played in the alienation felt by our minorities.

I am a Kashmiri. From my name you can deduce a little bit about the experiences of my family. I have some insight into being a minority in your homeland and having your identity and legitimacy questioned. Yet, I cannot hate blindly. My rational mind knows that the situation in Kashmir is nuanced; That the average Kashmiri has a right to hate India for the state of the valley today. For most of my young life I harbored the same sort of feelings you express in your post. I grew up hating, much of it taught to me by my elders. But stepping out of my insular little circle, traveling the world, meeting people from other parts of the world, understanding geopolitical nuances, and seeing first hand the systemic discrimination faced by minority groups in the United States opened my eyes to my own bigotry. Wouldn’t I be a hypocrite if I spoke up for my people, yet denied the experiences of others in the same position simply because the roles are reversed?

The repeated references to ‘them’ is what I was trying to address in my first reply to you. You say you have no problem with A, B, C, and D, yet there is the monolithic ‘them’. There are 1.9 billions Muslims worldwide. They are individuals, each with their own values, hopes and desires. They come in the same shades of grey as the rest of us. Yes, some among ‘them’ have vested financial or political interests, others have been fed lies by a Wahhabist machinery designed to spread the Saudi version of Islam, many others have legitimate grievances that have driven them to hatred and violence, but the vast majority of ‘them’ are ordinary human beings who want nothing more than to live ordinary lives.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    SunPa, Kohvachn, Rihana and 6 others like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Gauri03

Just a mere like to your response above will not do justice and hence I am writing this reply separately. I also feel that Bharathia Sanatana Dharma should be practiced for those who accept it as a religion along with the culture that it has inheritted called "religious tolerance". No doubt extremism should be uprooted at its base level but it can't be done by propoganda and hatred against the minority religion. It has become a trend to accuse people of sedition for every trivial action performed by people.

"A little bit of slope makes up for a lot of y-intercept." :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  9. HariLakhera

Dear Madam,
    I salute you for your forbearance. We all know what happened to Kashmiri Pandits in the valley. It is natural to brand a whole community as is for the Muslims in the plains of India. By inciting the hate, it will only spread and become deep-rooted. The responsibility is on the majority community.

Gauri03, Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  10. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gauri, Thank you for the elaborate response. It was an enlightening read! Let me try and address your questions first!

I donot have a positive or a negative response from B, C, D and E just because they keep themselves to themselves. Be it taking a walk in the afternoon break, sitting for lunch, just simple chitchatting.....it is done together and by themselves. In my 11+ years, until there is a team lunch or a team dinner planned, they keep themselves to themselves. They donot engage in any gossip or general discussions unlike A. A has my friend for a long time. Frankly, when we both became friends, i never saw her religion just that she was another working mom facing the same issues as me. She coming back with views was quite disturbing to me! That these views came from A - my close friend is what makes me feel sad indeed.

Oh..another thing...D was let go from the company because he was found walking around the company campus at odd times and in odd places like server room and other prohibited areas. He has been blacklisted.

Yes, exactly. Both sides have now picked up fanaticism and i condemn both the sides unlike blaming one side and sympathizing with the other.

The way i see it is like this. A lot of people are talking about Hindu intolerance now. Why are we intolerant you ask and let me show you my answer!!

This is how EROS choose to wish Hindus during Navrathri!!

upload_2021-11-8_10-59-39.png upload_2021-11-8_10-59-48.png

Diwali is all about safety of animals specially cats and dogs. I wonder what sin the chicken, pigs, goats, fish committed that no PETA or other animal lovers never talk about these other poor creatures who are slaughtered day in and day out to satisfy the taste buds of millions. And turkeys slaughtered during Christmas, goats slaughtered during EID and Ramzan is absolutely fine.

And crackers during Diwali is a big no. It is not a tradition and the major cause for air pollution. Forget that the same crackers lit during New Year celebrations across the globe in different countries apparently are fine? Stubble burning which contributed to more than 20% pollution in Delhi doesnt get as much voice as crackers get!

Aamir Khan remembers that roads are for driving and not crackers only during Diwali. The same rule doesnt apply to roads when it is used for mass prayers during EID and Ramzan. Then roads can be used for mass prayers or better yet - for months long protests. Nobody can question them anything during protests because if you do, then the men hide behind women and ofcourse, you cant ask hard questions to a any person let alone a women with a minority tag.

I dare Tanishq to show a Muslim girl married to a Hindu Guy and then showing the same celebration. And Manyavar is all about women not being given as 'Dhaan'. I wonder where these people are getting their 'Gyaan'?

Lets forget about the plastic waste churned out in the name of Halloween. Trees being chopped during Christmas just to decorate it as an eye candy is fine.

Only during Holi, we remember the dire draught situation that our country is facing. Durga pooja and the 9 days of Navrathri, the whole country is questioned on the atrocities committed against women. Jallikattu is an atrocity and cruelty against bulls while the Spain bull fighting is apparently saving its tradition.

PETA talks about using vegan milk in India but conveniently forgets about the whole milk, full fat milk, full cream, half cream, half and half milk used in the western countries.

And to top it off, they call their religion as something which they never changes and follow it to the T when it comes to following it. They should not eat prasad and shouldnt visit temples and all. Then why rename a Hindu festival as an Islam one?

I am ok you doing so. Infact i welcome it. Come join us in celebration. Lets all celebrate. Are you ok if i rename one of your festivals? The fact that you are so inflexible when it comes to your traditions while expecting me to bend backwards to accommodate your taunts and ridicule is a little too much to ask - IMO.

Saffronization! ok... so what is this government doing in the name of saffronisation? Converting Muslims in hordes to Hindus? Telling them they can't purchase land anywhere? Telling them that they do not have voting rights? Denying them basic necessities just coz they belong to a different religion?

Try telling anything remotely like this to a Muslim in India right now! nobody would dare to do that! Nobody wants to actually. I do not want to uproot them too. This is as much their nation as it is mine. Just that i love my nation while they love their neighboring one.

ok...i am honestly baffled here. I am a Hindu Brahmin. I do not have reservation quota for education, for healthcare, for minority benefits, for government jobs, in short for anything! However, i pay my taxes like a sincere law abiding citizen which in turn is used for educating these poor Muslim youth who get free education from the best universities and has an extra 1 lakh given to him as living expenses while he secretly and openly cheers all the while for the other nation with whom he feels a oneness with them since he is targeted here is nothing but bigotry.

If anything, i feel like a second class citizen in my country. Look at me....for whatever A spoke, i didnt even retaliate. Just trying to talk about it in an online forum under the cloak of anonymity.

Who is trying to erase? Don't you think this is a little extreme. All these years i read about Babar the great, Akbar the great, Humayun the great and every one else.

I am asking for an equal space for all the other king who have not been mentioned so far. Civilised life began more than 1000 years ago. Let me learn about all those Kings too and let each King be mentioned for the contributions he made. Let my syllabus not be limited to the 'Greats'. Why is this bad? Why is inclusivity bad here?

This is done by the 20% fanatic group. Since we brushing the other fanatic groups' actions under the carpet, lets brush these too!

Are you talking about the same India that i am talking about? In India, being belonging to an upper caste is a joke.

Let me show you another example which happened not a month ago....

A Hindu endowment Trust appointing teachers for a Hindu institution. This one caused quite an uproar in Tamilnadu. This is not agreeable for them....

upload_2021-11-8_15-34-49.png

While this is perfectly fine....

upload_2021-11-8_15-35-43.png

Well the result is this......

upload_2021-11-8_15-36-3.png

Yes, i agree with you on this. A world without Biryani and samosa would indeed be a sad place!

This alienation didnt happen overnight. Everyone now seems to be pointing fingers at Hindus and saying you have grown intolerant. Hindus are the most tolerant of all. But this tolerance is being tested at every single minute in every single manner. At some point, when your patience is stretched thin, you tend to react more than respond. Thats exactly what is happening in India now. People feel enough is enough.

I am very thankful to God that you and your family were able to overcome this harrowing experience. And being able to accept and move forward with nothing but positivity is again a wonderful thing.

But in all this, i would like to remind you that you have been one of the fortunate ones to move away from your place but still found love and acceptance wherever you settled. But the million others who are still here, who are reminded everyday of how much they lost are unable to be sane.

Just because you are able to move beyond your past, its wrong to assume that everyone should and would be able to do the same.

I am really unable to understand this part.

1) Are you choosing to side with the Muslim minorities in India because you were and are wronged in the US (assuming you are settled there based on your previous replies! If guessed wrongly, do excuse me)?

2) Or are you supporting them because for once, you are being tagged as a minority and you feel that if you ask for minority rights in the US while not supporting the minority back home makes you feel unfair?

If its the first case, then are you taking advantage of all the benefits that US has to offer and then comment bad about US because of the racial discrimination? No, you still support US, work with the US to ensure the nation progresses and you too along with it! And try and tackle discrimination when it arises.

Why is the same not applicable to Indian muslims. Why are they not able to be one with people just like the Buddhists, Zoroastrians and others who have made India their home and Indians in general who have made other countries their home. Only these people seem to have a problem!

Well, if its the second case, i honestly don't know if you are being fair in your judgement.

Taliban are probably just 5% of the afghan population but they were able to bring the entire nation to its knees. The minority rights there is a joke. The numbers are as low as below 500 if i am not wrong. The recent temple and other religious places being desecrated are for all to see.

So in my view, the radicals even if a minority number should be tackled at the beginning to be uprooted completely. Else, it will be too late for India. How are we doing it? In a diverse country like India, it is hard to follow any one path. Some of them resort to fanaticism because they feel nothing else will work with these people. In a democratic society like ours, we can't dictate rules on how a society should and shouldn't behave.

Again, as i mentioned earlier, the vast majority of Muslims are honest common people just like you and me and also completely helpless when it comes to standing against radical minority. Either they go with the flow or they are ethnically cleansed by these radical minorities. So saying ignore these radicals seems very silly to me. The radicals are good at brainwashing even the best of the best ones. When are able to get Hindus to convert and take up anti national activities, i am not holding much hope for non radical Muslims in India - whom i am yet to meet.

I am totally ok with emphasizing and sympathizing with the minorities but not at the cost of my identity!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Laks09, Mistt, Rihana and 2 others like this.