Computer Science.

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by EagerForInfo, Sep 12, 2021.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Has anyone done a degree in computer science and still feel they don’t know how to program ? Well I do. I just got a job in programming which is the only thing I can apply for but again I feel like I don’t know anything. I forget the Syntaxes and keep forgetting where I write them down. And to keep having to search them is a time drainer.
    I got this job after looots of effort so I just want to correct myself so at least now I can handle it. Can anyone offer advice on how u handle programming ? Also this job has waaaaay too many meetings. Some people listen and learn in class and don’t need to study once they go home. I am not that way. So how do I manage this job. ?? !! Meetings meetings so fast can’t barely right down. Someone must have a solution for this ??

2. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

If not programming what other kinds of jobs can I apply for ? I suck in public speaking so can’t be a team lead either what career options do I have ??

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes this is a common problem with many Indian comp sci graduates. They study enough to pass exams but never get anywhere close to competency. There are no short cuts here. You will have to put in serious effort to get better at this. For the meetings, start carrying a small journal. Write stuff down and review once you have time.

- Which language are you coding in? Which IDE do you use? For most languages you can find full featured IDEs which will eliminate the need to remember syntax or snippets of code, along with debuggers and visualization modules. Not that you should not make an effort to remember syntax but this will save you time by prompting you with the next steps as you write code. Make use of these features until you get familiar with the language.
    - Find the time to complete a few key courses. You will find these on most MOOC platforms — designing computer programs, algorithms, data structures and version control. If you can gain even a beginners level of competency in these you will become a much much better programmer.
    - Write code, lots of it. Make a 100 days of code goal where you spend 30 minutes every day writing code outside of work. Practice, practice, practice until you start feeling better about your skills. Many lists of practice programs are available online for different languages. Working through those you will help you get a fair exposure to the major features of the programming language you use.
    - Find a buddy or mentor who can review your code and offer feedback.

None of this is quick or easy. It’s a new position and you should be prepared to tough it out for at least a year to establish yourself. If having a career is important to you this must take precedence over everything else.

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I am a biologist. I grew up in a hardcore biochemistry lab and then moved to Molecular Biology and Genomics. I didn't have any prior computer science experience. I started by enrolling in a Unix/ Linux class in the local community college. It was an online class that I could take at night after my son went to bed. Once I knew how to use Linux, I started learning Perl. With basic programming knowledge, I experimented with Python and Java. I took any workshop that was available to me. I mostly use Perl because it can stitch together other programs which makes it excellent programming language for biologists.

The bottom line is: If a non-CS person can program, you can too because you already have a degree in CS. Programming, like most things, requires practice. You will need to devote time to learn the basics. Once you have a strong base you can build upon it.

5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

welcome to the club. :treadmill:

working in this gig for last 15 years, still have my moments , where i do not know anything.

keep grinding. it is how it is . it is fun if you think it is. otherwise it is just any other job where you complain boss or work or something. google is your soul mate now.

it will take time. you will learn how to modularize stuff. where to master and focus your time, front end , back end, data .

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. mohanmogi

mohanmogi New IL'ite

It is common to forget syntax and feel like we don't know anything after reading so much. again its common to have too many meetings and discussions in the office and you able to catch upto them in the beginning is not easy task.

Anyways, you can practice a lot and keep programming and solving problems, that will help a lot. Use HackerRank to solve the problems and discuss with people. Also just make sure you are really interested in programming job what you do.

1. As others said you have Google,
    2. you can use youtube
    3. If you are more interested in you can use even the Educative.io to learn and practice.
    If core software, then only a laptop is sufficient to practice, if you are in embedded field, then have some eval boards at home and work on it.

Regards,
    Mohan

7. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

I would say carry dictaphone that can record the meetings so u can play back and hear them again and again.

8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Recording other people without their consent in US is illegal.

9. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

:BangHead: Acchhocho sorry maranthutene

10. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

it is okay. my daughter does . you just have mention that to your teacher, you are recording the session.