Job Change After Age 50

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by ProudIndian, Jul 27, 2021.

1. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I have question for ladies who are in late 40s or early 50s. If someone who is working in IT for 20 plus years take one year break from career and look for another job how feasible or difficult it is? Has anyone done that?

2. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Also please suggest websites to find part time jobs in software development. Thanks in advance

3. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

4. Lalithasai01

Lalithasai01 New IL'ite

I had crossed 50 when i changed my job from journalism to an ITES company. I did not find it very difficult but realized that learning should be fast to keep pace with technology. So, if you have a good learning curve and an attitude to treat brickbats and bouquets alike, it is not at all difficult.
    Thanks
    Lalithasai

ProudIndian likes this.
  5. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your reply. I will not be changing field but with technologies changing every day and different business knowledge for different company I want to hear how hard was learning curve? Many People take break for family or health issues. I want to hear experiences from more people.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The level of difficulty in finding a job after a gap of one year should be approximately the same as trying to find another job while employed. The drawback of a break could be less negotiating power. The advantage of a break would be that it makes the resume update, brushing up skills, applying to jobs and interview prep easier. Most women find it hard to do these with a fulltime job and children under 18.

How feasible is it? Not very. The planned one year break will keep getting extended.

I know about two women in their late 40's (could be early 50's) who went back to work in IT through the "returnship" programs. I gather these programs are aimed at women with a long break. Some require a break of at least a year.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    ProudIndian likes this.
  7. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

I do not know any cases of women.
    In 2008-09 period many in the 50+ age group were let-go, bought-out, etc.. Apparently those without a working wife [the majority of those who lost their jobs in the economic downturn were men] just couldn't ease themselves into retirement. One acquaintance set himself up as a consulting-LLC, and maintained the resolve to talk to at least 3 people a day over the phone for 15 minutes or more. He wasn't making much money in the few contracts he got. Eventually he found a job at a significantly lower pay. This happens when one is looking for a job while (essentially) unemployed. Over the last dozen years, he seemed to have adjusted.

ProudIndian likes this.
  8. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Thank you @Rihana and @Hopikrishnan. I assumed less negotiating power after break. I am worried about capacity to learn going down with growing age. I like to be busy and independent as much as possible. I don’t know how it is for people after 50 in information technology.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

If you have just a 1-year gap that is considered normal, also if you are not planning to change your technology or role then getting back to the workforce is not that difficult. It’s all about how you market your resume and how you answer the questions in the interview. Most interviewers will ask what you were doing in that period how did you keep yourself up to date with current technology, anything new you were trying something like might be a certification/self-learning, or any sample project links, blogs related to your field. You have to explain well that. Sometimes few companies what it will do suppose if have tried for Sr Analyst position they will put you in Analyst II/III position for 6 months-year then will be promoted. It’s always better to go for a full-time job rather than a contract because in a full-time job usually, companies will give you enough time to learn and understand things. Also, product based companies are better than service/consulting based companies because they will be a little laid back relaxed and you don’t have to learn/adjust based on client needs or always don't have to run behind the deadlines.

Based on your technology join few groups on LinkedIn. I had got a couple of freelance projects through LinkedIn groups. Another favorite site is HackerOne.

Also there are freelance sites like Freelance, Upwork, Fiverr, dribble where you can find freelance projects but there are charges in these the site, plus fraud employers and hard-to-get genuine projects as newbies.

ProudIndian likes this.
  10. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Thank you @Flyhigher for your detail reply. I am not worried about getting another job because I am confident I will get it. My only concern is if I will be able to cope up with pressure of learning new things after gap and my entho energy level is going down because of age. I don’t know anyone above 50 or late 40 working in development. All people I know are in management. I would like to be in development and utilize my previous experience. I will learn some née things but learning curve should not be very steep, I hope

Thyagarajan likes this.