1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Trip With Acquaintances

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Vedhavalli, May 25, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Vedhavalli after reading posts #14, 15 and 16, I have a revised and simple suggestion: don't go.

When you describe the WhatsApp discussions without the "lady does not want to hike" and "lady needs to work in weekend" parts, when we look at only the food planning part, in a place 30 miles from civilization (most likely 30 winding miles and single lane highway), the actual problem is clearer.

If it was just two families or maybe even three (with small appetites), you could have taken food for your own family with some extra for others. With five families, you can't do that. Also, the Costco bill grows like crazy as you keep adding stuff.

Maybe these women haven't been to a really remote state park for overnight stay.

Yes, it'll mean your husband will miss out on meeting his friends, but, if I were you, I would tell H that first trip after 1.5 yrs has to be more relaxing. Ditch this plan and go elsewhere.

Amica, Mistt, EverydayBloom and 2 others like this.
  2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

This idea of we will eat a big breakfast and skip lunch is a disaster always. We will eat anything for dinner doesn't work.

Does anyone remember ever doing this successfully.

Instead of trying to solve this yourself or typing in whatsapp, can you try calling those folks whom you personally know and talk on phone. Get their side of the story and share yours. Share your concerns that if people are hungry and tired, it will ruin the trip. What do they think. The more you talk to people, the more aware everyone will be on what to expect.

Try to also involve your better half.

Like another poster shared, a little thoughtfulness from you will make a difference.

I also agree with the suggestion on not taking things upon yourself in the current setting. You will feel burnt out and unappreciated.

Good luck.

3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

And finally an injection (first shot ?) of sense :smilingimp:; I am pretty sure there'd be a booster shot before the trip begins....
    Honestly, I was surprised that the husbands wanted to take along wives and kids...especially when some of the wives haven't met one another before. Guys going off to remote woods, to smoke cigars, play poker, get wasted on whatever (with a designated teetotaler ...), and watch some unmentionables on DVD.... that would be normal. Dragging finicky women folk who would go off like navagraha idols in different directions, annoying the guys would be a nightmare for them as well.
    Extract a promise for a peaceful, and relaxing family vacation on return from Brokeback Mountain, and send your guy with the suitable whatever -- beef jerkey and beer..... or Roti-subji. The guys (even pre-unmet fellows) are less complex, and will get along just fine, and have a relaxing trip on their own -- with catching up and conversations.
    I second @Rihana's counsel: Skip the Trip, and send your dH on his own.

chanchitra likes this.
  4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, is this whatsup group only for women? Add all adults there . As five families and kids are involved and going to a remore site, its better to have some plans. Its also important to have some idea about nearby grocery store, restaurants etc... No need to take up full responsibility. Share your concerns with them or your husband. If its getting uncomfortable its better to not to go I am sure all of them will come prepared atleast for their kids So you can prepare for your family plus sometimes extra. No one is going to starve, they find a way.
    Just go with the flow. The trip is for fun and to relax.. No point in making it stressful by working full time during the trip.

5. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

As you already did all means of communication, its time for you to step back and "let" how things turn out, just be prepared with your family needs and 1 or 2 group needs (only if you really can/want). Don't take too much stress!! Its time to relax and revamp with the trip after 1.5yrs

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  6. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

@Vedhavalli

I totally agree with you on having at least a little planning if not a full fledged plan with agenda. I am like to have a proper detailed plan and preparation for every small or big trip. My husband and his 6 friends(a total of 7 families all are of different nationalities) have made a tradition of meeting every alternate year mostly adults only. Luckily every time we all will be on the same page and never had any bad experiences. This is how we do, we have created a generalized list of items and who brings what. On every trip, we just post that in the group and everyone just follows that list, we all drive our own cars, we pick a place where we all can just hang out for the first day and the next 1-2 days for outdoor activities. Only one person will take care of all the expenses like Airbnb, food costs, attractions which everyone wants to take part in, basic groceries like water, drinks, snacks, other things then we divide the cost at the end of the trip. Though I was close with a few in the group, still I was so anxious like you when I was first meeting all of them and now we all have become like a family.

I will say don't skip this trip. Just relax and go with an open mind and solid backup plans. Try to take everything as a lesson or experience.

Plan like the first day a few hours just for a get-together kind, so that you get to know others.

Add few buffering hours so even if you couldn't keep up according to the plan you won't be disappointed.

If 2 ladies want to skip the hike and you are interested in that, just let them know that you are joining others in the group who are hiking, and we all join you later.

When traveling in a group It's always better to have an open conversation with all the members including men. If the men are not in the WhatsApp group add them. In a general tone, you/your husband just post questions/concerns like what are the plans, how many of us are hiking not hiking, what are we planning for food, are we eating out/are we buying ready to eat ones, who brings what, the weather will be like this so at the time we are planning a hike, etc.

Do your research on the nearby restaurants and stores and have the options ready. If others are not showing interest then you just take all the necessary things and plan how you generally go on any hiking trip.

For the safer side buy some extra quick-fix food items like maggie noodles, soup packets, pasta like in the link. Whenever you are heating or cooking just on a general tone announce I have few extra boxes anyone wants can take it.
    Suppose if everyone agrees to eat out and in case if you have not used these you can return them once you are back from the trip. Knorr Pasta Side Dish for a warm, soothing meal Cheddar Broccoli easy preparation 4.3oz

Knorr Italian Sides Four Cheese Pasta - 4.1oz

shravs3 and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. Rihana

OP has already tried that. Each is airing a preference that cannot work as a group. All of OP's reasonable suggestions are ignored or vetoed with no viable alternate offered.

That is the main problem -- there is no nearby stores and restaurants. Not even a snack dispenser in the hotel lobby. For how many can OP take necessary things? And she has a valid point about the awkwardness of eating while others are figuring out their meal options.

Moral of the story: In huge group vacations, don't stay far from restaurants and stores. Five hungry women in one airbnb. Yikes.

I want to go on a trip with OP. We would get along like a house on fire (OK bad analogy as the CA drought and fire season is expected to be really bad). I would get aalu parathas and pav bhaji. OP would get mushroom pulao.

pocahontas, Mistt and chanchitra like this.
  8. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Hmm.
    OP. All the husband's should do this trip.
    I feel none of the women are interested in this trip.
    Let all the guys crash together and enjoy.
    You can do a family trip later

Roar likes this.
  9. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

I missed adding for her family.
    Also, OP has mentioned she is happy to buy ready-made food. In that case, if money is not the issue then can buy it to all in a combination of store-bought half and ready-made Roti half. If the store bought ones are not used can return it or rotis not used she can use it later at home.

When planned properly it does not matter whether far or near to the restaurants and stores.

chanchitra and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

OP, I am really sorry for spamming your thread ... : ) but memories of many trips and one-day hikes are coming back when I read posts here.
    Stand in return line in a store in pandemic time.... Use later at home stuff that travelled to an airbnb and handled by multiple people ...

The group and group dynamics that OP is describing does not lend itself to "proper planning."

=====
    On that trip I want to take with OP, after having the aalu parathas, pav bhaji, mushroom pulao (and ripe mangoes peeled and cut to eat with fork), we will make adrak ki chai, put our (no shoes on) feet up on the airbnb's sofa and talk about toxic positivity. : )

Amica, shravs3, GoneGirl and 3 others like this.