Will You Give Covid Vaccine To Your Kids?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ProudIndian, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I have been following naturopathy which is against vaccines so I am confused. Vaccines have long term health effects. I feel adults with high risk should take it but not sure if kids should take.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It’s a moot point right now since the Covid vaccine is not available for children yet. Once it is I will have no hesitation giving it to my child.
    I’m curious about the statement that vaccines have long term health effects. They do give effective immunity.

3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Once the vaccine is tested and approved for children- yes, absolutely!

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If my children were younger and I had to decide, they would get the vaccine as soon as it was approved and our pediatrician also agreed it was safe enough.

=========
    Some anti-vaxxers rely on herd immunity. The Myth about Herd Immunity
    One common argument some parents make for declining vaccines for their children is that vaccines are not necessary—that their children are unlikely to get sick even if they are not vaccinated. Perversely, this argument relies in part on parents’ confidence that many other children are being vaccinated, creating “herd immunity” that makes it difficult for outbreaks to spread. In other words, if all my neighbors’ children get vaccines, my own unvaccinated children will benefit from the protection of the herd.

I wonder if they will apply similar reasoning and decline the Covid vaccine.

5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

My children want me to get it, as a revenge for all the vaccines we had made them suffer when they were young. Karma !!

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It’s not just anti-vaxxers. Even many normally sane people have bought into the anti-Covid vaccine propaganda. The official in charge of vaccinations at my workplace has shouted herself hoarse trying to explain to these folks that the vaccine is safe and effective.

Hopikrishnan, gknew and Rihana like this.
  7. Hopikrishnan

Isn't that is a medical/bio/healthcare related employer... we are indeed in trouble.

Just yesterday I heard this conversation among some seniors, all talking through their masks:
    "is two shots like shampoo and conditioner?"
    "no..no... it is just shampoo... just twice".
    "what about the new one shot vaccine from johnson & johnson? is that like shampoo and conditioner together?"
    "probably; I haven't used their shampoo since I was 5 years old...LOL..LOL..."​

Americans are totally afraid of injections, but happy to take pills. No matter how many. In India, people believe that injections are stronger, effective medicines, whereas pills or coloured liquids from the pharmacy are usually slow and not as effective.

MalStrom likes this.
  8. Hopikrishnan

Bharat Biotech vaccine is being released early before the phase-3 trials are released to the scientific community and public.

I hope top Neta's come forward on TV to take this particular vaccine -- Covaxin is one of the names -- to instill confidence among the public.

Scientists Urge Govt to Release Covaxin Phase 3 Trial Data Before Rollout - The Wire Science
    New Delhi: After the Union health ministry released a statement by 49 doctors and scientists endorsing the safety of the Covishield and Covaxin vaccine candidates, 13 scientists issued an independent statement urging the government and Bharat Biotech to release data from phase 3 clinical trials of Covaxin, ahead of distributing it to frontline workers in the first phase of India’s vaccination drive, set to begin on January 16.

Dr Samiran Panda, head of the epidemiology division at the Indian Council of Medical Research, said that waiting for efficacy data in the midst of a pandemic would be tantamount to disregarding the loss of lives. “You have to put faces on the numbers of the dead.” said.​
    [^^^So worthy of :facepalm: :frown: ... :facepalm::frown:]
    In the last couple weeks, the Drug Controller General of India’s decision to approve Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin, indigenously developed in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research, without efficacy data from its phase 3 trials, has come under mounting criticism.​

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

My mother remembers in the 70s how people were sent out of homes to live in sheds and may be die, during smallpox epidemic. In the late 80s and 90s, I remember seeing atleast 1 or 2 children at my school and 2 people in my neighborhood, with polio inflicted handicaps. Thankfully none of the children in my kids' generation seem to have it. I am thankful to tetanus injections because every time my children fall and injure themselves i don't worry myself sick about them dying from painful muscular contractions. Same with so many painful, deadly diseases.

Corona is not nearly as deadly. But still to help the case of herd immunity through vaccination, if it is made available for teenagers, I would vaccinate my girls. With them being as two less hosts for the virus, the world around them will be slightly safer to those who can't get vaccine due to actual medical reasons.

Anti-vaxers are cowards who can't even take measured risks and then rely on others to take the vaccine so that their kids stay "safe". If everyone were antivaxxers their stance would change very quick.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    KashmirFlower likes this.