Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Minion, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Agreed so the current system is flawed and one-sided so to fix a system you have to stop and rethink unfortunately the dumb TN politicians can not even understand their basic state rights, they go begging to the central government for money if they are hit by one cyclone.

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I am aware and I was careful to say that one needs safeguards against corruption. Thinking practically, what would you do? Secession of Bihar? An amputation? We need to drag that state into a civilized 21st century, kicking and screaming. That is in our own interest. One unhealthy organ is enough to kill you.

And don't forget, the scams in Tamil Nadu are pretty dramatic on their own. You only have to take a look at the local train stations in Chennai, all built recently. A second-year architecture student anywhere else in the world could do a better job. It is evident that money was siphoned off, and some semi-functional jumble of bricks and cement erected. One cannot even divine the design principles from the structure, let alone actually put it to effective use.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

You allow them to develop on their own pace with their own recourses; like every single family does in India, every family in India does not magically get out of poverty it takes couple of generations to progress, its the governments job to come up with polices to help those who are really in need of help, when the government is corrupt then how do you expect individuals from one state to finance the other, this is sowing seeds for another Khalistan.

4. sokanasanah

Well, that experiment has been done, over 73 years. In other words, you are advocating the status quo or even a regression therefrom. At a certain level of dysfunction, underdevelopment poisons the body politic. I am not keen on getting mired in discussions about Bihar. We are veering away from the original topic of Hindi and moving to wider, more complex questions. Issues of federalism are complicated. There is a substantial literature to draw on.

Mississippi is an illustrative and instructive American example. I will leave you to investigate the stats.

5. sokanasanah

If politicians from the south wish to gain and assert power in the capital, they are better off learning to do it in Hindi and good English (for the talking heads). Hoping or waiting for the other guy to come and meet you where you choose to stand is not an effective strategy. It is best that you learn to use every means at your disposal to engage with your political adversary/competitor. If I know your language but you don't know mine, I see that as an advantage. Translators, SimulTrans etc. are not the same. Most TN politicians come across as illiterate in any language other than Tamizh. And that goes for many politicians in the north as well. I see that as a failing. They are not equipped to lobby or compete - only to trade favors. Pride is no substitute for statecraft.

6. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

You don't need Hindi for that you need strong leaders like K Kamaraj, unfortunately it is not easy to get the garbage politicians out of the system.

stayblessed likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

I did not say "need" as in "necessary". I see it as another arrow in the quiver. Leverage every advantage you can muster, proactively. I am not talking about parliamentary debate, but about the proverbial smoke-filled backrooms where the real deals are struck. No helpful translators with double MAs in Tamizh and Hindi there.

The capital is in New Delhi. The sooner these guys learn to deal with reality, the farther they will get. Kamaraj was a man of his time. He would be eaten alive in 2020, anywhere but in TN.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Quite an aggressive stance @Minion

This thread is less of a discussion and more of a soap box, refusing to see the matter in any other light than what you personally feel. There is nothing wrong with your perspective, each person has the right to their own opinion

9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I was not blaming my parents, I mention that it was not something I was exposed to and put me at a disadvantage.

10. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

You trivialized the issue to that level that I had to use that tone.

Please read the post by @jskls to understand the gravity of the issue Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Rihana likes this.