1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Covid Craziness

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mimita, Sep 29, 2020.

1. mimita

mimita Senior IL'ite

Hello all,
    My husband, I , my daughter and my mil live together. I am working and before covid would retain my sanity since I used to be away from home. Now due to work from home , being stuck at home with m to mil is driving me crazy.
    She is petty quite often and while it was easy to ignore this earlier, being at home always is getting on my nerves. It's as f she goes out of her way to irritate me just to get attention.
    My health is slowly suffering because of my unexpressed anger and on top of it being reminded of old meanness.
    Any strategies to ignore when stuck at home like this? This situation won't change for many more months ... How to see myself through this?
    Thank you.

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I’m sailing in the same boat...
    Feeling irritable and this played havoc with my hormones and my health..
    I do relaxation techniques and watch good movies and read good books to overcome the stress.

geeta79 and mimita like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I can so very well relate how you must be feeling. In my case, it is not my MIL, but my MOM.
    She is old, fragile, and seek attention all the time by keeping long faces, silent treatment, and blame games.
    Ignoring doesn't help, because she would become aggressive in her actions if we ignore.
    We even tried to show her extensive supports, but that's not her problems.

Elders feel useless when we youngsters stay at home and control everything in the house.
    Earlier, at our absence they ruled the house. Looked after the kids and felt secured by knowing that they are being useful for us. That keeps them going.
    But with covid19, they are also feeling stressful without being able to go out, meet families, and all.
    This situation can be worst if it is your MIL. I can very well empathize with you.

geeta79 and mimita like this.
  4. mimita

mimita Senior IL'ite

Thanks guys. Need a break desperately :-( trying to take up more hobbies and keep myself occupied.

geeta79 likes this.
  5. preeti6years

preeti6years Silver IL'ite

I can very well relate to the situation. My health had gone for a toss. Severe stress and harmonal imbalance made me feel very depressed. Even today I have this problem, but now I am learning to live with it.
    I do deep breathing whenever I remember. I go for walk early in the morning.
    I finish off all my kitchen chores before she gets into the action and run to my room to start my work.
    I have diffuser oil. I put 2-3 drops on a cotton ball and I keep it in my pocket.
    Whenever I feel stressed out, I smell it. It helps to divert your mind

6. Needtobestrong

Apart from keeping yourself occupied, keep her also occupied...IF she finds something more interesting than irritating you, she may go a little more easy...
    For example, there are so many online classes and sessions on different topics like devotion ( Shlokas, Bhajans, Ramayana , Mahabharata, Bhagavad Gita, ), hobbies like online cooking class, online singing classes, online self improvement and art of living kind of classes etc...some are free while some are paid, and reasonably priced...if free she can enrol ..also you can load her favourite movies , serials etc on TV or online not streaming platforms...when she feels happy and entertained when may not be as irritating ..just find out her interests and preferences and try this...
    FYI , I know many ladies in 50-60s age group being occupied by such online sessions to beat the monotony of lockdown.

7. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

You're not alone - please know this. I am sure thousands of women in this country are going through the same thing as you. The whole Covid situation is already to stressful, being at home stuck with annoying MIL is even more stressful - as if outside tension wasn't enough !!

Only 1 advice - KEEP BUSY! Use this time to work on yourself. Keep yourself busy in office work. When office work is over, keep yourself busy in personal work. Take up a hobby like mandala or anything else that you like. Spend more time with your DH and child.

Try to stay away from MIL as far as possible, don't be in the same room as her. Whenever she irritates you, ek kaan se sun lo, dusre se nikaal do - IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE. AVOID AVOID AVO
    ID.
    DO NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT AVOIDING HER - your mental health is WAY more important than this dikhawe ka rishta / log kya kahenge.

I may sound harsh, but I learned this the hard way not to feel bad about avoiding annoying in-laws is MUCH better than letting it affect your mental health. You are already living with in-laws and taking care of them, no body is paying you to be nice to to them !!!!!

Thyagarajan and Needtobestrong like this.
  8. Needtobestrong

I agree...