Suggestions To Make My India Trip Frugal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mangaii, Mar 1, 2020.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Yes I was planning this trip after long time. But with two kids I don't want to take any risk . I hope before end of summer break this virus dies down. What is scaring me is how residents of ca with infections have been treated so far. State don't have enough testing kits and mostly we have to go through public health system for testing. In my opinion I don't think this state has resource to handle the crisis.

2. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

@mangaii are you still planning to travel to India later this year if you do travel can you please post your travel experience, I was planning to travel this summer to India but cancelled it due to COVID-19 but now planning for a trip in 2021 summer.

3. mangaii

Mine will be also summer 2021 . Right now we have only vandre matram flights and with changing immigration rules and winter coming up I prefer to travel only next year

Minion likes this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@mangaii - I noticed that you are in CA. We fly out of SFO/OAK. Also planning to go to India in summer 2021. If you fly out of SFO/LAX, you can get flights under $700. United and BA have nonstop flights to Delhi. I am not sure about Bangalore/Chennai. You have plenty of time, look out of United credit card with 70-80k miles. You can book 1-2 flights on miles and other 2 on United credit card to receive free checked-in bags. This will save you money on flights at least.
    I check flights on Google Flights and Kayak. I like Kayak better. Check 3 days before/after your ideal date and you'll see differences in fare if any.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Has anyone actually travelled here as planned?
    How was your experience during this pandemic?
    Did you & anyone known to you travelled with kids?
    How risky it is to travel with them these days?

6. mangaii

I booked my tickets again( for 3rd time) Hopefully I make it this time
    I had to cancel last 2 times due to pandemic
    How things have changed in last 2 years. I have saved enough to enjoy my India trip this time .
    This is the first time I'm visiting without interference from in-laws.

I want to spend quality time with my family without constant phone calls or comments after trip that my kids have lost weight and they look dull.
    I want to think and act on my own without worrying about being blamed for every single thing that can go wrong in the trip
    I want to eat all my meals without feeling weird or guilty about eating at my in-laws place
    If things go as planned I will get back my jewels which I wore for my marriage.
    Mentally the fact I can plan my day in India makes me feel so good .
    I can visit my friends without being questioned for nth time where I went and what I did
    No one to peep into my bag what I bought
    I'm meeting my cousins first time after my marriage makes me feel like human again
    I can invest or buy any property as I wish without feeling awkward about answering others about my investment
    I'm waiting to experience freedom in India after several years. I hope and wish everything goes well

shravs3, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Wish you a great trip, @mangaii! I hope you finally get your jewels back.

chanchitra, mangaii and Rihana like this.
  8. mangaii

I have been reading news about increase in cases . I’m wondering will it be better if I stay in hotel close to my mom’s place rather than staying in the house . With government lifting restrictions it looks like next wave is ready to happen anytime.
    My sibling also has kids in school and last thing I want is to get sick in India or make someone else sick

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I would be more worried about you getting sick than making others sick, given that most people are back to business as usual. If you have been vaccinated and boosted and wear masks then you should be okay. The new variants cause a lot of cases but the severity of infections is not that bad.

KashmirFlower and mangaii like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Have a great trip!

mangaii likes this.