Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Ah! That explains!

You see, my work environment is with the proverbial "straight-jacket" minds. The folks I work with dont care about my poor, full of grammatical error, English.
    I also live with someone who has adopted Fortran as his mother tongue. He prefers me to tell everything in three bullted points.
    So that has conditoned me into what i am and perhaps reflects in my writing too.

:) Haha! I can understand why they do that.
    That entire sentence is so long @Novalis , with so many clauses! I lost you after "Jarasandha".
    Or did you deliberately write it that way to prove a point?
    By the way, who are "lesser mortals"? Just wondering...

I usually do not reply to your posts, because I don't know your intent. Did not want to put my foot in my mouth, like I have done in my responses to @Viswamitra . Perhaps, I already have, now:thinking:

Me thinks it is best I keep quiet, henceforth :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I know. I was not addressing that. I simply wanted to clarify the terms of discussion in the two posts I quoted. Now you can continue with the principal train of argument.
    One thought I might add is to say that viruses are the purest form of selfishness on the planet.
    They exist to exist.

As for humans, Sartre said it well. Here's the famous quote:

“What is meant here by saying that existence precedes essence? It means first of all, man exists, turns up, appears on the scene, and, only afterwards, defines himself. If man, as the existentialist conceives him, is indefinable, it is because at first he is nothing. Only afterward will he be something, and he himself will have made what he will be.”

― Jean-Paul Sartre, Existentialism is a Humanism (English Translation here).

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

— Redundant —

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Yes it is. :D
    But thanks anyway:beer-toast1:

5. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

— Redundant —

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

When you and Elon ship people off to those other planets you are so fond of, they will take viruses with them. You will then wish you had paid more attention in class. Just you wait!:cool:
    :lol:

kkrish likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Oh, Professor S.:biggrin:. But, but... :confundio1:

BTW, I am done with the planets. Me moving beyond. :banana:
    Elon and others are welcome to them, planets. :lol:

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

No, you have not. I always enjoy reading your responses. I definitely learn something new from your responses.

kkrish likes this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the welcome Viswa. Luckily, keeping kids engaged hasn't been too much of a challenge. Their school has done a fantastic job of transitioning from classroom instruction to online learning. Most of their extracurricular activities are online too. School-work keeps them engaged just long enough to allow DH and I time to maintain a modicum of productivity at work. The good news is that after nearly three weeks of being shut-in 24/7, we're still not sick of each other! :smile:

Not to seem oblivious to the incredible hardship many families are facing, I'd be lying if I said the shelter-in-place hasn't had a silver lining for me. It feels like someone applied the brakes to a life that was passing at breakneck speed—no more soul-crushing commutes, no rushing the kids from one class to the next, no keeping up with six different calendars. It had reached a point where most days DH and I spoke more on the phone with each other than in person. I had started to think the man is a figment of my imagination. Now we are all in one place, all the time, and I'm loving it! I used to get scolded by my parents for not calling enough. Now I call them and my in laws every day plus have group video chats with my siblings every other day; I'm hiking, meditating, cooking more than ever, even planting a vegetable garden fit for apocalyptic times. I am going to relish every bit of this bonus family time for as long as it lasts, and, inshallah, hold on to some of these changes even after we return to business as usual. : )

kkrish, Kohvachn, Mistt and 2 others like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Extending that line of thinking, Crony Capitalism is the deadliest of all viruses. All moral and ethical considerations fall by the wayside in the pursuit of moolah! America's chickens, fattened on the trickle-down BS, have come home to roost. When medicine is a trillion dollar business operated to maximize just-in-time efficiencies, people die at home waiting for their test results.

Viswamitra and Kohvachn like this.