Gender Disappointment - How To Cope?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Angela123, Mar 18, 2020.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Come on... You are just being human.
    Don't be so harsh on you, specially when your hormones are at a toss now.

When I carried my first born, I had similar experience too.
    Unlike you, I badly wanted a girl. Ours is a family of too many boy kids. My mom was the only girl with 7 brothers. My MIL too had 6 brothers, and no sisters.
    Besides, I had a very beautiful neighbor kid who was very much close to us. I dreamed of a similar kid, so that I could have all the fun with my own.
    Even had a name in my mind too. But the gender scan at 5th month revealed it was a boy.
    Both my mom and MIL were equally disappointed, and MIL started giving hurtful hints about boy kids that time.
    It took me nearly a week or so to get over with that disappointment. It felt like I lost it.

But I came back to reality around the same month when I first felt the baby's kicks. It was amazing and beyond explanation. It was the first time I really started feeling the tiny chap inside me.
    I started loving him since then....

Fast forward to today. My little chap is now 9+.
    At times, I feel little ashamed of myself for thinking like a loser that time after the Gender scanning.
    The bond I share with my little son is invaluable. He is my whole world.

btw, I had a girl after 2 years, but it didn't change my love, affection and everything towards my first born.

You will be fine... It just takes a couple of days for the emotions to settle down. At the end of the day, it is your child. No one on this earth can love or care for this child than you.
    That itself is enough for you to love and like this tiny baby that you are producing now. Be happy...

sindmani, blindpup10 and Angela123 like this.
  2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Your story same like . My husband has boy sibling and all his cousins are boys.i prayed for girls but I got both boys.

Angela123 likes this.
  3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I think it is mostly because I grew up with a sister, and cousin sisters, not very many cousin brothers. Also, I grew up in a very conservative family - where girls were brought up to married away. Growing up, I was not very conservative and people kept talking me down on what I should do and should not do. For me, the world was open and welcoming for boys and girls were forced to stay inside. I got my freedom after marriage and moving to America, but those childhood/teenage experience made me think world is a better place for boys. But with my first child I didn't have much of a preference, even though she is only 8, we are best friends who reads each others minds. It was just when it came to second one, I just wanted a difference experience. And when we wish for something and if we didnt get it, that is the kind of disappointment I am dealing with. My disappointment is mostly because I didnt get what I wanted, I am sure I will make peace with it.

4. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I guess everyone has their on vision of perfect family. Ideally, I want three kids :blush:!!
    My husband's family and my family are similar to what you described. They are all boys family and we are all girls family. I think have moved away and already made peace with the fact that the baby is not the gender I wanted. I feel much better now when compared to the state of mind I was writing the original post. Writing in this forum definitely helped. One other thing that helped very much is talking to my DD. she is excited and all she kept saying was "I always wanted a sibling!!!" and kept planning what to do with the baby!!!

I am such a planner, so that might have affected my emotional state as well. I remember that last year, we were trying to get a house custom built, and I have planned and picked everything that goes into the house and even what kind of plants and flowers to go in the front yard. But we backed out the day we were supposed to sign the contract and it was a huge heart break for me. I think ahead a lot about something and it becomes devastating when it doesnt happen. In this case, I was thinking about a baby boy, things I would teach him and everything, painting the perfect family picture (the Christmas cards, our festivals etc etc).
    Thank you for sharing your story with me.

5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

May I add something that I learnt only during my pregnancy and something you might already know. But sharing because I learnt it late (was not paying enough attention in Biology class!)

Men determine the gender of the baby, i.e. the X or Y chromosome from the sperm is what determines gender. So all those MILs who give the crazies to their DILs for baby gender should be given a science lesson!

"Men determine the sex of a baby depending on whether their sperm is carrying an X or Y chromosome. An X chromosome combines with the mother's X chromosome to make a baby girl (XX) and a Y chromosome will combine with the mother's to make a boy (XY)."

Referece: Boy or girl? It's in the father's genes[/QUOTE]

Angela123 likes this.
  6. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I used to think MIL knew better than me. My MIL was a nurse who worked outside India for years, who was well versed in 3 languages and had traveled a lot, but she still chose to hold on to her old belief system even after all that. She was trying to play all the superstition cards with me to make sure she gets a grandson not a granddaughter.

7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your words. I am already feeling better and I have moved away from brooding on the disappointment I had couple days ago. Hopefully it wont come back!!

8. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi, just I am asking out of curiosity. Are you and your husband first child in your both family?

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Angela123 likes this.
  10. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I am the older one in my family. But my husband is the youngest one, also he is the most pampered one in their family (extended family included).