1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Believe In Magic?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am sitting outside on the swing enjoying the much cooler morning sun along with my cup of coffee. I notice with fascination the single sunflower plant that has decided to come in my pot leaning sideways IMG_20190802_082118.jpg as if to catch a glimpse of the sun and flash him a smile, showing away her beauty!

The birds are at the pond chirping, taking a bath in the gentle flowing water. I know it is kind of a big day. We are going a movie as a family! Now, now this may sound strange to you, family movie time. For us, it has been hard, for summer has literally flown by with family from India visiting us and leaving, like those rain clouds that appear and disappear after bursts of rain in the summer. The joke with my friends this year has been, "S has not gone to India this year but India has come to her!" I smile for I am grateful, truly!

I collect the handful of jasmine that never fail to show in summer, inhaling the lovely divine scent wafting through, feeling the magic of something as simple as flowers and place them in a plate, for later use.

That evening, as I sit watching the Lion King, I am also thinking of a dear object I have lost. I think “Is it 25 years already?” I sigh. Mufasa speaking about the stars to Simba always tears me up. My daughter slowly moves away from me – that is her way of telling me that she has seen me cry!

I speak to no one about the thoughts of my lost object. After all it has been over 5 years and everyone has heard me complain and even cry every now and then. Now you may be wondering as to why would an object mean so much to me that I would feel so devastated and cannot let go of it even after all these years? Believe me if I say I am not attached to material things, at all! What I am attached to however are the stories behind them. Perhaps that is why while it has been so easy to clean my closet every spring and winter, it has never been easy to give all those sarees away. Come to think of it, even in my closet there are a few outfits that never leave. And the same thing applies to my gods in my pooja room, my jewelry and oh my plants! The beauty of all this is I have never bought a single piece of any of these and have simply inherited them. When I wonder if they will have the same place with future generations, I simply shrug off the thoughts for it is not about the objects but the stories behind them and I plan on telling the stories…..to my kids!

When I decide to wear a saree, I usually go through almost all of them thinking of the people and the stories behind them. How can that not bring a smile? And yes, I give myself enough time to do all this so that I am ready on time! And yes, thank goodness, I don't do it often and I don't have that many either! Talk about women and sarees and men go grr! When I sit in front of my gods lighting a lamp every day, the idols always speak to me, most of the times anyways and I almost always think of that elder who has blessed us. How can I not but smile while seeking those blessings? Now if you wonder about the plants and are scratching your head, well I have two plants that were favorites of my mother and MIL and as I lovingly tend to them, I do think of them warmly. What a wonderful way to remember the people before us, the people who are the reason for our existence and how lovely is it to pass on to our children the jewelry, the sarees, the stories, the blessings and the pride so that they can receive them, cherish them even and pass them on.

As I sit chatting with a friend the next day, all the while sneaking a look out the window, listening to her story of trying times, DD who has gone up to her room to give us some space sends me a text message with a picture and a note "Mom! A blue jay that I am watching from my room!" How magical is that....

As I continue to hear my friend out, I can’t help but acknowledge that we all feel insignificant sometimes, question the purpose of life at other times but this quote upload_2019-8-2_10-47-25.png I have shared earlier also has always cheered me up. There is nothing insignificant about us or our lives, whatever may be the situation! I see that my friend has been trying to make the best of her situation. I am of course as always reminded of Bach! “Every person, all the events of your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you.”- Richard Bach and all we can do is believe in magic, seek it and spin it ourselves, sometimes!

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Lovely. Hundreds of stories of pleasant memories are hidden in our cupboards. Every Diwali we get up to empty the almirah of old useless things and end up dusting and putting them back-childhood clothes of children, their hand written note books, dolls and toys and so on. Each of these has a story to tell.
    Generation next may or may not keep them as they do not have the scripts. They may not even keep the gifts we so lovingly gave them.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @HariLakhera sir,

Thank you for your warm response. Indeed, all we can do tell the stories and hopefully they will remember and pass them on!

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear srama,
    Tens and hundreds of sweet and sorrowful memories are with us.Amma had only a small trunk. She had only one kancheepuram saree, mango yellow with red border, which she used to wear for all the marriages.That old and worn out saree,purchased in 1930 for Rs 5/-is still with me. When I came home after delivery I specifically asked for Amma's torn cotton sarees to be used as cloth slings for my children,.That softness you can never find in any modern fibre.Appa's water man pen with a fine nib, His dictionary, the black ruler, and the red covered Wren and Martin and volumes of'Thus spake Swami Vivekanand'are the rich treasures I possess.My MIL had a a few notebooks in which her husband had written'SriRama Jayam',Unfortunately she was widowed at the age of 29.That small cute wooden slanting table,which I use even now for writing long articles,casually sitting on the floor, stretching the legs in whatever you like-you will not feel the strain, even if you do the work-reading or writing hours together.The present day kids also keeo other things as memory.
    There are certain people who do not like to cherish old memories,even if pleasant.They say they want to live in present.Even for them the karmas seem to get imprinted.
    Nice thoughtful snippet.
    ramasala

Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Splendid reminiscing- tear gathering.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God is our ancestor?!

6. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama,

Once again you filled my heart with joy with your writing. I am so with you about objects represents memories. My father was a teacher and he had so many books he has used. I got a few of them and talk to them whenever I miss him. Indeed sarees, I only have sarees which my parents bought for me when I got married or gift from dear ones. I treasure them even though I don't get much chance to wear them. Dresses I wore with each pregnancy I still wear and I cannot get rid of them. These make me feel richer inside and I am thankful.
    It is simply beautiful what Bach says and he appears with appropriate messages whenever I needed to hear. This time, he has come through you Srama. Enjoy the rest of the summer with your loved ones. We are halfway through our summer vacations. I feel that I couldn't be productive with my research as I planned, but I am spending quality time with boys. I will catch up some work with extra hours in the latter part of the vacation.
    Love your post and you have rejuvenated me in this morning.

Love,
    Vani

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Yes, it is not the objects but stories, memories behind them....they make them special. Can we throw away our memories!!!! No. Even if we want to. A little of all our near and dear is hidden in them and as Bach says.....every person and all events connected to
    Dear Sabita,
    Yes, so many memories are associated.....priceless.
    We have a little of our people with us.
    When my parents passed away...
    I took brass vessels that my mom used to cook, a shawl knitted by her. And an old sofa on which my father used to sit and read paper. Got it repaired....I feel his presence!!!
    Nostalgia I went back Sabita.
    Syamala

sindmani, Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Sabita,
    As I was typing in the morning internet gone. When it resumed I could not find it and again I typed.
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

What a delightful write up about memories with that beautiful quote of Richard Bach which I read only last night while preparing lesson plans for the SSE children. Some things in life bring pleasant memories and the human beings are naturally inclined to be happy. However, some things bring sad memories and those things bring unbearable pain and sufferings.

I was reading a quote yesterday that in the ancient days, people practiced three different types of silences. One is to practice to speak only what is absolutely necessary. The second silence is quieting the mind or thinking only what is necessary. That is an uphill task. Once these two steps are fulfilled, we reach the level of supreme silence which gives us permanent happiness.

When I read the quote further about how to contain the speech, there were some recommendations about how our speech should be. Our speech should be neither exciting nor agitating but be truthful and pleasing. I see that in your writing. May be all these spiritual practices would keep us balanced and centered all the time.

Human beings are filled with so much of internal impulses and the mind is the one that encourages such impulses. Our life is filled with desires (whether they are good or bad) and attachments whether it is material attachment or attachment to the memories. The only desire that is permanent and etched in the human mind is liberation and that is what drives a person to get back to happy feeling from whatever suffering he or she undergoes. But only thing we have to question ourselves is whether such getting back to happiness is transient or permanent.

I am sorry for such a complicated response. I didn't know how to write this response eloquently.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Not only there is nothing insignificant about us and our lives. your threads show that there nis nothing ordinary about our everyday actions. You can see extra ordinariness in even the routine.

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.