Tips needed on exhibition participation

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by essvee, Aug 21, 2008.

1. essvee

essvee New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I'm planning to participate in an exhibition next week. Has anyone done it here?

This is the first time I'm doing it and could do with some suggestions/ideas/ tips on preparations/display/things to be taken care of ..........infact any info on any aspect will be much appreciated. My products will be jewellery and may be some handicraft products (if I get some time to prepare them).

Thanks & regards,
    Sonalika

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008

2. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Dear Essvee,

I have not participated in any exhibition before. But I am responding here from the consumer view point.
    In fact you can do this exercise yourself. Just think what would you expect from a stall as a consumer if you visit an exhibition yourself. Do a brainstorming wearing this hat. That should already give you some points to be taken care of.

With the same thought, I am penning some ideas that struck me:

Preparation:
    1) Have you got a business card for yourself (or your co. or shop whatever that is) which you can share with visitors to your stall?
    2) If you plan to handout some printed material, have you planned what it should contain, layout, design etc.? Have you got it printed?
    3) For all those products you are about to display, be equipped with adequate knowledge. With your product range being Jewellery & Handicrafts, you can be informed about the raw materials, sources of raw materials, how long it takes to make one etc.
    Some of the information you actually might not be telling the visitors, but if someone is really interested or from the same background, when they question you should have answers readily.

Display:
    1) It is always attractive (for jewellery & handicrafts) if you can display your products along with its benefits or usage or attractions. For example, if you have made an Embroidered Letter Bag - instead of just hanging it or spreading on the table, you can display it with actually some letters inside it.
    For jewellery try to work out a combo with Dresses - that is more attractive.
    2) Group your items in such a way that it is easy for people to spot what they are looking for.
    Of course, most of your display depends on your stall dimensions.
    3) If there is some freebie you are willing to give visitors, that would be an added attraction. Freebies always invite people to stand. :) It could be some custom made carry bag or some small handicraft etc. which also has the name of your shop or co. and acts as a mode of marketing. It could even be a simple one like a book mark.
    4) During exhibition please ensure that someone is available in your stall to attend to visitors. Usually, it happens that the day starts with a whole lot of enthusiasm and then as it progresses people in stalls either get tired or demotivated. Remember every passer by is your potential customer, if not today possibly tomorrow.
    5) I notice that you are from Bangalore. It would help if people in your stall can converse in 3 languages - Kannada, Hindi & English.

Ok...guess I have written too much already ...let me breathe for a while so that you grasp ideas and work on it if you want to :)

Let me know your views too on these. Possible that there are better ideas flowing from all directions.

All the best for your exhibition.

Cheers
    Jenz

3. essvee

essvee New IL'ite

Dear Jenz,

'Excellent' !!! That's the word that kept coming to my mind again and again while reading your ideas. Simple and so effective. Even I was gathering my ideas from the customer's point of view but I had not thought of the ones you listed. like teaming up jewellery with a dress.

Thanks so much for your valuable thoughts, time and wishes.: )

Regards,
    Sonalika

4. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Good to know you found them useful. All the very best for your exhibition.
    Wish you get some good deals and flourish off :)

Keep us posted on the response. Would be glad to hear your experience too.

Cheers
    Jenz

5. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Jenz has posted some really good ideas.
    I myself have attended a few exhibitions/fairs for my own products and sometimes I had Jewelery booths next to mine.
    Here is what I found common among all of them:

1) Depending on the booth area, try to keep the flow of your booth open. People should be able to navigate easily.

2) Good lights. The jewelery booths are always the brightest of all with the spot lights :)

3) Very friendly customer service.

4) Multiple mirrors.

I think Jenz has covered the rest.
    All the best for your exhibition. Make sure to give your card to people and if you have a website, have a huge banner in your booth with your site URL in clear print.

Cheers,
    Anjali

6. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi Essvee,

How was your exhibition? Did it go well? Why don't you share your success story with us?

Cheers
    Jenz

7. essvee

essvee New IL'ite

Hi Jenz,

My apologies for such a late reply.

The exhibition was OK. Not too great, not bad either.

But it was definitely an enriching experience
    Lots of things to be learnt ......

....and there's another exhibition coming up this weekend....with my son's exams going on, still debating whether to participate or not.:confused2:

8. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi Essvee,

Good to hear on your experience.
    Good to know that you had an enriching experience even if the outcome was like 50-50!

It is just a learning phase and may be after some initial learnings you will do a lot better and also such experiences would teach you what to expect from an exhibition. This will help you prepare better for the future.

So keep up your effort ....you will surely soon see great success.

Cheers
    Jenz