1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Work Or Stay Home

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ATI, Feb 23, 2019.

1. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Dont quit working. May be apply for a position thats less stressful like a part time job. Never quit working. You do not know what is in store.

GlobetrotterG likes this.
  2. pbindu

pbindu Silver IL'ite

Dont quit job, it does not look like you want to quit job and stay at home. Even though I had to take break in my career for taking care of kids, now that I am in US on H4 visa, I am going mad staying at home.

Also if your parents are coming and you have to take care of them you can quit job or go for an easier less paying job, its you in laws who are not supportive to you as I understand from your words. So your husband can quit job or take an easier job and spend more time taking care of his parents. Why always women?

you must have already seen how kids become independent and dont need parents once they go to college and then get jobs. what would you expect your daughters to do if they are put in your position? you decide the same for you.

3. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies - I need your feedback urgently... one of the reasons I had wanted to quit was to help kids with school. My son is has some challenges in school - behavioral challenges that are impacting his grade. While it’s not very bad we want to fix this now and not let it grow. DH is now insisting I quit because DS needs my help. I do think DS needs my help and I can’t provide the level of suppprt DS needs if I work all day and come home tired. I am already spending most of my time on DS and not so much on DD.

I am torn - is it selfish of me not to quit because I won’t get true freedom if it hurts my son. But then what if I quit and nothing changes with my son and our lives just become worse?

4. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

No. Don’t quit. Do not fall onto this guilt feeling trap. You should ask your husband to play an active role in this parenting and that the son needs to have a fatherly role even in his studies. Not all responsibility lies with wife. Let your husband share some responsibility on a day to day basis. I read your first post and in that you told that you are in full charge of all day to day work. Why is it so? Even if in high flying job what makes it hard for your husband to put some effort towards parenting his son.

Allocation of work is what you need. Get some help for your cooking and housework. Get weekend cleaners to get the jobs done. You have earned hard so get as much help from others so that you can focus on kids. Then when in laws come ask your husband to look after them or get some nannies help.

Leaving job is definitely a very poor decision right now. Don’t get swayed by any traps of guilt ride. Good luck.

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Other ladies has given many suggestions on why you should not quit. I agree with them.
    Why your dh think taking care of kids and their education is your responsibility. Why cant he quit his job, take care of his kids and parents. Why only you have to sacrifice? If your dh can be selfish why not you. Why don't he also spend some time with kids. I feel that men can manage boys better. Both of you can equally take the responsibility and spend time with them. Even if you stay home, kids will come back from school only in the evening. You will be tired too if you stay home. Will your dh take 100% financial responsibility if you stay home. If you feel later that quitting job is not working well, will he allow you to go back to work again. Dont feel later that its a trap.

I feel that your dh is using this reason so that you will be in home serving his parents full time.

Is it possible to take a few weeks leave and see how its going with your DS. Then your dh can take leave and share responsibility.

Taking care of yourself is important. If you are not healthy and happy, how can you take care of others. I believe its not selfish not to quit your job. I remember your post on dh's demand for food that match with his interest. Are you ready to be a full time servant, nanny and caretaker? If not, quitting job is not a good idea. Try to find ways to spend time with your kids as much as you can .Use weekends too.

If you don't have any other option, try for a part time job or change to a job that allows you spend more time with your kids. Its important to have a job to maintain sanity in your case. Get a new job and then quit the current one if its too demanding.

This is my opinion. But choice is yours. Take a decision that is best for you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Vaikuntha and shravs3 like this.
  6. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies
    DH makes 5 times what I make so it’s not a choice for him to scale back. Financially my job is not needed and most of my paycheck goes towards childcare/ house cleaner etc.

He also travels half of the month so his help with kids will be inconsistent

I don’t want to quit though - I will loose my sense of self worth and will become a glorified house keeper (because of DH and ILs attitude).

I understand what you all are saying - just worried I am choosing myself over my kids future

I am going to ask my manager if I can work part time or take a break

startinganew and DDream like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What kind of support? What sort of behavioral concerns? Even if you stay home all day, end of the day, you are going to be tired. I'm a SAHM for a child who needs support. I do have therapy meetings to attend and implement at home, teach most academics at home and work on behavior and communication goals at home. I do get tired by evening and am not able to consistently work with my son. Even if I'm not tired, end of the day, the child is exhausted. I work with him only 2-3 days a week.

I'm not sure quitting work will help you. It might end up hurting you because you won't be able to afford the help that you can otherwise afford. If I were you, I would first try to delegate other responsibilities to a paid helper and find an hour or two every alternate day to work with the child, one on one. What to tackle etc, you can either read up or get help from someone qualified. To make up for lost time, spend some quality time with your other child once a week too, doing something other than academics or extracurricular so she doesn't feel left out. Even now, my DD and I love our one on one times.

My DH also travels and is never around much. He also has a very high-pressure job. But, even with all that, he is fully vested in our son's growth and future. He comes home and takes on from me. He learns from me and works with him. There are things that fathers have to do for their sons. With all of my son's limitations, he takes him for sports during the weekends when he's home. He takes him on bike rides and runs and lake walk etc. He also works with him on some assignments or reinforcements when I'm tired. He makes it a point to attend one parent training meeting every five weeks so he is on top of everything with therapies. He is fully involved in the school/ outside of school, discussions around him etc. Regardless of who earns, there are things that both parents can do to help kids achieve full potential. It's not a one parent job.

Regarding the other child, my other child helps her brother. She is older so it was easy for her to understand his challenges. I made her teach some special needs swimming, gymnastics classes so she could help her brother and other kids. In that way, she got involved in his cause rather than competing with him for our attention.

You are a mother, not a therapist. You cannot work with your son all the time and not get burned out. You do need help from the family. You are a team, the four of you. Look at it that way.

8. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Hugs, mommy! I feel the exact same mother's guilt every single day. And here is what I tell myself - a happy mother has more to give to her children.

If you're mentally and physically exhausted with extra housekeeping chores for kids/in-laws - then the same few hours with and for your kids - the quality of your interaction with the kids may suffer.

This is what you said you want to be able to do:
    "I would love to maintain my house nicely, cook healthy food, workout, study with kids, etc . "

This is what I would ask myself:
    Every day when the in-laws are there at home will you be able to leave the home and reserve slots of the day for yourself - say gym from 9am to 10am and then say 2pm to 5pm to the local library for personal development, prep for kid's school work, or just some fun for yourself? And in between 10am to 2pm is any home chores *you* would like to do, and maybe chit-chat with the in-laws for some time.

Based on this...
    "I have also been the primary parent for kids and managed all the household tasks with minimal input from DH. Its been very stressful and my health has suffered a lot. "

I feel like your health suffering should be your main target for now (and may also be why you are yearning for a lifestyle change). Could you maybe try to analyze that even with a full-time nanny why your life is still so stressful? Do you need more help in the evenings or someone else more skilled to whom you can delegate more of your tasks ?

If husband earns 5 times your salary, maybe this is a possibility:
    I have seen there are these nannies who are called "governess" - who are more expensive but quite skilled - at keeping a household smooth - from synching the couple's calendars to planning a weekend vacation for the family. If husband and you are doing the hard-work outside home - don't feel guilty about investing money where you need it.

If you're able to go part-time - please announce to the world, that you need to work on your high-stress levels and are hence moving from 8 hour days to 6 hours and need to spend two hours every day at a meditation center/yoga class/art class ("just as the doc ordered") - or whatever rocks your boat. Or get a family membership at the local YMCA - take kids early from after school and soak in their indoor swimming pool together before getting home. What I am trying to say is that - please don't come home 2 hours early - "time" at home has the natural ability to fill itself with "chores". ;-) Good luck!

Vaikuntha and GlobetrotterG like this.
  9. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Part of the problem is DH is not corporatize. While DS does not have major issues, he tends to loose confidence, get depressed etc. DH does not want him to see a counselor/psychiatrist and DS does not technically need one. But he struggles with friends and at school because he believes he isn’t good at anything and easily falls into a depression loop. I did a few consultations with psychiatrists (without telling DH) and have material I can work with. But he needs consistent daily support: the problem is when I get back from work, I have about 3 hours to spend with kids on school work, dinner , put kids to bed, play with them etc, and on DH . DH has to talk to me for at least 30min when he comes from work and he competes with kids for my time. The problem is I am too tired to deal with any of them and loose my temper because I am exhausted. I don’t mind being tired after I put the kids to bed but now I am tired when I come back from work . It means I don’t have the energy to do what I need to do for DS and I don’t have the time for it. We already have a nanny to help. If I stay home I can spend time from 3-6 with kids and spend time with DH after 6 .

If I quit the only person who will suffer is me.. but right now the whole family is struggling

Vaikuntha and Laks09 like this.
  10. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

@startinganew - I willl get time to go to the gym and take care of myself more if I don’t work.

I can’t fight DH and change is behavior while I am supporting DS though his issues and working and dealing with ILs. DH has no reason to change - he just says if you are tired quit. And DH and me fighting does not help things with kids at home. I also have issues when kids come home from school and I am not here but ILs are. They talk all kinds of weird things to kids and it impacts them badly. So that’s another benefit - I can manage what they do in front of kids.

startinganew likes this.