1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected Fallout With A Friend

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by hridhaya, Dec 20, 2018.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hey that's being very generous of you. Hope your tenants appreciate the gesture.
    You are right in saying that both the clauses contradict each other. Tenant is expected to inform the owner if they are staying in or moving out by a single date. Not two dates. We don't see any merit in their logic. Since the new lease was edited on top of the old lease signed with the previous owner, we kind of overlooked this 60 day notice period as this is a general clause. Honestly who would expect a 60 day notice period for a 90 day rental contract?

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@hridhaya i understand your feeling Of being cheated by your friend but in this situation you cannot do much . Honestly she doesn’t deserve a friend like you . Since she values few thousands more than your friendship you should understand where you stand in her life . Assume you buy some product which is not returnable and then you realize it is not working you just throw it away and move on in life . You are not going to waste your life blaming the product or your luck . Just take it as a learning experience on what to look for next time when you want to purchase . That is all you can do . It is new year . Think of all the blessings . At least you don’t have deal with owner like her, Just make new friends . Let the money and friendship go . Assume you donated for some cause and forget it . At the end of the day your peace of mind is priceless why loose it over some money . Happy holidays

hridhaya likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

You are right @hridhaya. There is a legal possibility for having 60 days notice for 90 days lease not being enforceable. If I recall right 2 months notice is enforceable if the lease is at least for a period of 6 months. Did you have any auto extension clauses in the absence of notice? What do you mean by writing this lease on top of the old lease?

4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

@Viswamitra , thanks for replying. I will add additional details for clarity. The house we are talking about was in the hands of a different owner when we first moved in. We had signed a 3 year contract with the owner with a 2 month notice period. After about 1.5 years, the owner wanted to sell the house and my friend became the new owner. Since our relocation plan was shaping up around the same time, we went and informed them about it. As our plans were not fully in place, my husband insisted that all of us sign a 11 month contract with 2 months of notice period. But the following day, they called up to tell us that they prefer a 3 month contract instead of 11 months. Couple of weeks later, we signed the following agreement. I have given you the gist of main terms and conditions. We paid 6 months of rent as deposit for 3 months of contract.

The lease of the said premises shall be for the exclusive residential use of the Lessee, and his family only. The Lessee undertakes not to transfer the subject of rental to anyone else under any circumstances. The Lessee shall not sublet or underlet the said premises to any person. Lessee agrees and undertakes that he/she will not allow the premises to be used / occupied by any other persons than those of this family members and that the property will be used for residential purposes.
    • The lease shall commence on 15th August 2018 and shall be in force for 3 months thereafter, i.e. till 15th November 2018. The Lessee shall communicate their intention to extend the lease by 15th October 2018 and the new lease shall thereafter be executed for such periods and such terms as both the Lessors and the Lessee may mutually agree.
    • The Lessee agrees to pay to the Lessors a sum of Rs. XXX towards security deposit. The security deposit will be refunded when the Lessee vacates and hands over possession of the said premises after deducting dues and arrears, if any. These dues and arrears shall include rent dues cost of damage or alterations to the property except for normal wear and tear and consumption charges of electricity and telephone land line unless the Lessee has submitted the proof of having settled all dues towards electricity, water and telephone.
    • The lease can be terminated by either party to the Agreement by giving 60 days notice, in writing of its intention to terminate the Agreement or by giving a notice and paying in lieu for the same.
    • At the time of vacating, the Lessee undertakes not remove anything that is part of the property such as wiring, furniture and fittings, water pipes, sanitary fittings etc.

We stayed in the house for the said 3 month period and vacated by 15th November.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Sorry for not being clear. I referred to the email version of the rental agreement. We circulated the old lease to my friend. They made changes to that copy and sent it back to us. Hope am clear.

Please note that there is no mention of painting anywhere.

The house was painted and repaired by the earlier owner when we moved in 1.5 year ago. We disputed that my friend may deduct equivalent amount spent by the earlier owner but not an enormous sum of 45,000. My friend used the services of branded painter to paint the house whereas the previous owner used a local contractor to do the job.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Viswamitra likes this.
  6. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Regarding car parking, It is a normal practice in our apartment community since some people have more than one car and they need extra parking. My friend has been using our parking space for the last 6 to 7 years. She normally pays us once or twice a year for the period of usage. Isnt she supposed to inform me if she suddenly decides to stop using our parking space?

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@hridhaya as a owner who lets out my house, i would say, i feel bad for you.. in my case, i am a very lenient owner according to other owners and even friends..

well assuming is wrong. the lease is pretty much clear. it is so hard to find a decent tenant.
    (Inspite of having a agreement, in chennai, when my mil passed away, and we did not need the house anymore, the owner who was very close to us, still charged us 2 months rent.. we could not do much..)

now coming to painting..in bangalore, as far as i know painting charges are from the tenant when he leaves..something like a maintenance amount .. your stating the previous owner did it out of his pocket could again be assumptions..and the costs of painting have gone up too..i shelled a 75k for a 3bhk.for my house..

even among friends, i prefer to keep my friendship and monetary dealings seperate..i feel the mix is a perfect recipe for heartaches, and more..

you gave her bakeware..she assumes you dont need it in your relocation and are reducing the baggage.. so her assumption..i have givven away a lot during the number of wrap ups..you gave with no expectations or you should have put it up for sale on olx..you had a choice.. now making a point about her self interest, is a wrong way of looking at it.

agreed on the parking charges, she could have told you..but unless it has been in writing, you cannot do much about it.

7 years and you still have a discomfort, then she is just someone between being a acquaintance and a friend.. a hi and bye is all that goes well for this.. if you invest more into a relationship and are not happy, it is not her fault.
    she has been clear not to blur her dealings as owner and parking..

life experiences are a learning curve..chalk it down to life lessons and being more clear where you need to. assumptions can become a pain, communications make it simple..

hridhaya likes this.
  8. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

You cannot thrust installations on owner without them asking and expect payment . Not everyone appreciate meshed balconies , it may cost them resources to have it removed , and to keep it or not that's for the owner to decide not for you to assume .
    Also when there is a legal agreement , follow it properly without assuming anything . If something seems contradictory , get it clarified as soon as possible .
    But yes she is being greedy and vengeful . Anyways you don't need such money minded friends . Don't avoid the apartment due to one family . All the best to handle everything .

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    hridhaya likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In the U.S., landlord has to return the deposit within a fixed number of days after withholding any amount for abnormal wear & tear. He usually has 3-4 weeks, and has to give an itemized receipt for any amount deducted from deposit. If he does not return within that fixed time period, he loses entire deposit amount.

Would have been nice to get the deposit return details in writing -- how much deposit being deducted for what reason(s).

What she did is not ethical. You paid 3 months rent. Contract was for 3 months. She cannot charge you more than 3 months rent under any circumstances.

Looks like she wanted to keep the 45K. Used reasons like painting and added the invalid reason of 60 day notice.

With more details shared, it is clear she was being greedy. Sorry for the assumption in my first response.

hridhaya likes this.
  10. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hi @Shanvy,
    Nice to read your reply. If you and others are saying that the agreement looks fine, then probably we have understood it wrong. Whatever it is, it is difficult for me to deal with this kind of a person.
    Even today, I don't regret anything I gave her. Like you said I could not have carried everything with me. I mentioned it here just to make my point.
    Another example I would like to quote - she owes me about 1500 for one of the lunches we had with our kids. She forgot to repay me and I never brought it up. Am not saying that I am better than her, I thought this relationship was worth more than that.