1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feel Like Dh Is Being Used

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cutepoojitha, Jun 11, 2017.

1. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Maybe they don't call you guys as much or inquire about health when one of you is sick, because your husband keeps them updated? They know that even if they don't ask, the call from him will come at regular intervals.

Does your husband expect you to talk to your PILs and cosis? If he does not, I suggest you start backing off slowly. If he insists that you also talk, tell him you'd be glad to if they also reciprocated to some extent. Since he seems conservative in thinking with regard to family, you can say that being the elder DIL you need to maintain your respect and cosis needs to call you too, if he insists you speak to her.

As for cooking during India trips, try to order part of the meal and make only simple items next time. The time after that, pretend like you're really busy with outings/shopping and leave it to them.

When they visit you, cook whatever is possible and do not bend over backwards.

If your husband does expect you to go the extra mile along with him, I honestly do not think he is treating you that well.
    (From your post I did not understand if you do it out of pressure from him or because you want to be nice)

Personally I wouldn't mind accommodating PILs to some possible extent but will not bend over backwards for BIL/cosis/SIL. You risk being taken for granted and losing respect in the long run, not only from them but their kids too.

2. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Adding some small points:

Have you communicated your expectations to them? If they are sensible, they will listen. If not, they could create unneccessary drama over this.

Don't be in cosis' kitchen. Let it be clear it is "their" kitchen. Ask them - So, what are we having today?

cutepoojitha likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I don't see a huge problem here.

Your H loves to be generous, and he feels happy and peace with this.
    He constantly updates with his folks, and get their updates by contacting them. It seems he is the one who needs all these updates, and he is find doing it.
    Unless he forces you to do these updates or sewa on behalf of him, I do not think there is anything you should worry about.
    In case, if you are worried about the matters he updates with his folks, (like private info, very personal stuff etc), then be upfront with your H and see what exactly he can share and what not. Else, leave it to him. Don't bother.

As for the service you guys do to them when they visit here, as well when you visit them... Certain things need to be communicated and arranged beforehand.
    Tell your H that you can do only so much. It is important to entertain guests, specially in laws family when they visit you.
    If they are OK type, do your best.
    Take a few day offs, and make special meals. Take them out, chit chat with them, and enjoy your togetherness as much as you can.
    When you are visiting them, expect the same.
    Be clear with your H that you are on vacation, and prioritize your wishes during vacation times. You can always support them in the kitchen whenever you are free and ready. But slogging at someone's kitchen during vacation is too much. Make a full stop to this tactfully.

Do not confuse with your relationship with your PILs to your H's relationship with them. It is different. Let him do whatever with his folks as they both please.
    But when it comes to your relationship with them, be practical.
    If your H forces you to go extra miles just as him, then say NO.

When you say NO to the things that matters to you, your H will listen to you.

4. cutepoojitha

cutepoojitha Bronze IL'ite

Thanks shethezone for your suggestion.

My husband will never force me to talk with inlaws/BIL/co-sis, I thought co-sis is new to the family I must make her feel comfortable so I have inititated the conversation. but the issue is even they are about general topics I absolutely dont intefere in their personal matters she is not interested to talk, I made peace with it now.

Her family likes me a lot and even they tell her to be friendly with me , but even she ignores their words.

I agree with your point "They know that even if they don't ask, the call from him will come at regular intervals"
    They took him for granted. BIL never show any interest to talk with my DH , I feel sad because when we are sacrificing financially for them Is it not my least expectation that atleast he should give little love to my DH?

As a elder DIL i dont want to go into their family but I slowly adapted making peace with it, I am doing my duties as DIL.

I can quote a small example here once my inlaws ran out of medicines and I have helped them to get those from my friend from India. I was very much at home when they sent some package of medicines through some one to my friend address she messaged my DH who was in office, she could have very well informed me about it. I was at home I felt so bad and from then I thought I do my duty and dont expect at all.

Does your husband expect you to talk to your PILs and cosis? If he does not, I suggest you start backing off slowly. If he insists that you also talk, tell him you'd be glad to if they also reciprocated to some extent. Since he seems conservative in thinking with regard to family, you can say that being the elder DIL you need to maintain your respect and cosis needs to call you too, if he insists you speak to her.

As for cooking during India trips, try to order part of the meal and make only simple items next time. The time after that, pretend like you're really busy with outings/shopping and leave it to them.

When they visit you, cook whatever is possible and do not bend over backwards.

If your husband does expect you to go the extra mile along with him, I honestly do not think he is treating you that well.
    (From your post I did not understand if you do it out of pressure from him or because you want to be nice)

Personally I wouldn't mind accommodating PILs to some possible extent but will not bend over backwards for BIL/cosis/SIL. You risk being taken for granted and losing respect in the long run, not only from them but their kids too.[/QUOTE]

5. cutepoojitha

cutepoojitha Bronze IL'ite

Thanks SGBV and nb25 for your suggestion.

@SGBV - I like your point below

Do not confuse with your relationship with your PILs to your H's relationship with them. It is different. Let him do whatever with his folks as they both please.
    But when it comes to your relationship with them, be practical.

I know parents are different for any children.Earlier I used to treat PIL's as my own parents by seeing my mom, even today she treats my father parents as her parents. but in their case it is both sides not in our case now i just do my duties.