1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Makes A Great Dad?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

What makes a great Dad?

I
    asked this question to my kid who said, “No matter what, he always goes out of the way to make time for us”. It’s not the wealth that a Dad accumulates for his children, it is not the expensive gifts that he gets or the beautiful places he takes them for vacations, it is his involvement in the child’s life is what a child looks for. Children care about his undivided attention, his focus, his time and unconditional Love. The confidence he gives to his children that I am here for you is something wonderful. He is the one who makes his child dream big and achieve their goals. He gives hope and courage to battle any storm. He teaches to be loving and forgiving too.

Every dad loves his child but what makes a Dad more special or great? A dad who makes a difference in kid’s life, A dad who is there for the kid as a pillar of strength, A dad who puts his child’s needs before his, A Dad who teaches values of life and last but not least a Dad who stands as a role model for his child could be few of the traits of a great dad.

We all honor Mother’s so much sometimes deserving Dad’s doesn’t get the same recognition. Somehow, I have been blessed with wonderful men in my life with few exceptions though. My uncles, my brother, my cousins, my wonderful friend, my own dad and my husband are some of the many who are just great Dad’s.

In our culture, Dad’s involvement in children’s lives was not significant in my grandfather days. But I have heard my dad share a wonderful relationship with his dad. Similarly, I have had a wonderful and fulfilling relationship with my dad. Now he is a role model to my husband too.

Dad’s I knew wouldn’t have tasted a fruit, would get that for their two year old. He may not have studied himself but has given excellent education to his child. He would be working in a factory day and night while would have encouraged his kid to be the owner of an automobile workshop. He would spend early mornings or late nights with the kid and make sure he is involved in every step of the way. With work culture and frequent travels few Dad’s who are far away from the family use Skype time to talk, coach or teach their kids these days. Many Dads I knew are involved in kid’s education including fairs / school competitions etc. Some dad’s call and talk to the kid about their day at school, their homework etc. when kids walk home from school. Technology these days has bridged the distance in such cases. With more nuclear family setup many dads I know are involved in a kids life from birth.

With Father’s day today remembering and honoring all great dads who are great inspiration to their children. My dad is not here with me today, but he left me with beautiful memories, love and teachings that will always be with me. Nothing ever will match his sacrificial life.

Happy Father’s day to all wonderful Dads who make this world a lovely place to live for their children.

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Very well written OP! I have one of those dads who was and is always there for us when we needed him, a solid pillar for the family. I was and still am in awe of how good he is in every way, what a personality, intelligent, handsome, loving, caring, inquisitive and eager to learn (even now), generous, helpful to everyone, he always had the right words to say when someone was in trouble. At the age of 74, he still is my mentor and a support and if I am mentally disturbed about anything, he is there for me just a call away. I feel so blessed to have such a dad and needless to say he was and is and will always be my role model. He is the man responsible for making us the individuals we are today and on this Father's Day, I want to give a shout out to my Dad in India and also wish all the wonderful Fathers around the world 'A Happy Father's Day'.

Dad, how did I get so lucky to have you?

sindmani, Shanvy, jskls and 5 others like this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi lovely tribute to your Father.I remember my Father who moulded me by his deeds not words.

Happy Fathers day .

sindmani, jskls, Sandycandy and 2 others like this.
  4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I too have a wonderful dad who is always there for me.
    Lucky me

sindmani, jskls, Sandycandy and 2 others like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

A wonderful tribute to dads, jskls. I really miss my dad and whenever I look at his picture, I can barely believe he is not there. He was a hands-on dad who was involved with every aspect of bringing me up ever since I was a kid. I'd wish him to be my dad in every lifetime of mine.

sindmani, Shanvy, Naari and 3 others like this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful write up's from everyone ! Happy Father's Day to my dad for always being so loving and supportive , always holding my hand and guiding me when I was lost, forgiving my million mistakes and accepting me the way I am !

Happy Father's Day everyone !

7. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

All those fathers day shares and videos in FB has made me rather emotional too..All those wonderful memories of my time spent with my dad came rushing back....
    When I would be sick or down with fever, he would always come to my bed after returning from work,touch my face with his cold hand and plant a sweet kiss on my forehead and quietly retreat
    He would always feed me at least one mouthful of food while having his dinner,even after I finished my post graduation
    I saw my strong, usually silent dad wipe away tears after leaving me in the hostel for the first time
    When,on my wedding day, i forgot to bid him bye(i was in trance :grin:) and was about to leave ,he came running to give me a tight hug.
    When he had a heart attack and was hospitalised, the first thing he said when he was allowed to speak was to not inform me (I live outside India) as he did not want me to worry
    For all the million things he has done for me, for the never ending love...I am so blessed to have him in my life

sindmani, Sandycandy, momsky and 4 others like this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

superb write up ls.

jskls likes this.
  9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

The warm and fussy feeling, I felt with my dad....no one can fill that void in life.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    jskls likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

An apt tribute for Fathers' Day @jskls
    A father's role is very important to the kids. He is the child's mentor and guide. He is the person who lifts his child(ren) on his shoulder and shows the world.

sindmani and jskls like this.