1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Current India Better To Live Than Abroad ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Jun 15, 2017.

1. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

but dear here u r contradicting ur last comment where u said that for indians "grapes r sour"..i can assure u that ..its far far away from the truth ...ive so many family members who live abroad and more than that living here who just refuse to go abroad even after being more educated more talented (IITans too) than those living abroad. the reason they give is that its all work and no fun or family time . they call them cyber coolies ..
    anyway , i just wanted to point out that ur last statement is far from reality ...most ppl CHOSE to be in india ..and the grapes r very very sweet (may be a few r sour)
    ..peace n love

anika987 likes this.
  2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hi friendabc, my comment 'grapes are sour' were in the context of OP's friends who do US bashing to make her feel bad & who seem to be jealous of her. And, my last post about everyone being happy wherever they are is based on everyone's responses here, ppl seemed to like the place where they are situated.

And, I actually beg to differ on the work-life balance point that you mention. In fact, when I was working in India, the corporate culture was of late sitting, almost everyone would be working till 8-9, almost seemed like all work, no family life. And, here in the US, I have hardly ever worked beyond 5 except during peak, busy times. I actually feel work-life balance is great in US and pretty bad in India. In fact, my husband used to work for a big IT company & they have a pretty good work -life balance and a fun work culture. I have heard that about Google, MS, yahoo, most big IT companies here. So, I am not sure I agree with your IITian friends in their reason / rationale for choice of place. But, I do want to salute IITians everywhere, they for sure a smart bunch!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Earlier, probably two-three decades back, there was a lot of show off n india bashing that came from the NRI sides. So maybe the wheels have turned and it's time to show off to the nri's. That's what I feel when I hear this.

I have been on both ends since birth, so I can relate well to this.

World has become so small after the Internet that people can see past the sexy facade that abroad life holds.

To answer your question honestly, yes, current india is better than living abroad. Financially, I feel Indians can afford to spend a lot more, every top world brands will exist only if the people can afford it right?
    Good medical care.
    Every house hold has atleast one maid. Even 2-4 is considered normal like drivers, cooks, gardener, cleaning people, full time maids.
    You can afford quality organic food, quality clothing even household items.
    They can afford good homes (condominiums with all the facility), vehicles, top gadgets.
    Frequenting to a good quality restaurant, fine dining, five star hotel for a meal is common.
    Fully facilitated (pool, gym, theatre, all sports field, international meals- faculties and equipments, etc) International schools with international syllabus
    Top league colleges
    Domestic and International vacations every year and many more like that
    The quality of life is really good.
    I am pointing more towards working professionals lifestyle.

The recent trend I have seen in my circle, people do not want to go abroad for a job. They want to have the cake and eat it too kinds. They don't want to leave back their family n friends and suffer alone with no maids n luxuries when they can have a better lifestyle here itself (until unless they want to escape someone here). People are opting out of USA to study too because they don't feel safe there. Maybe trump effect I guess.

I loved my life as a nri pre marriage n love it in india after too. But now I wouldn't want to move out of india if I can't afford the same or a better lifestyle abroad.

Saying all this, every country has its pros n cons. There is no "perfect" country. So as long as you love that country, that's all it matters. Don't let anyone make you feel bad.

But bashing of any country is wrong. They are just trying to show off that being in india they are living a better life because earlier they have been looked down upon by nri's and had to hear constant india-bashing and show off from them. So like I said in the beginning, it's just the wheel turn thing. Don't take it to heart.

4. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

Hi friendabc, my comment 'grapes are sour' were in the context of OP's friends who do US bashing to make her feel bad & who seem to be jealous of her.

=thats exactly what i said ... u r implying (may be unintentionally) that jealousy must be the reason for their bashing. it may not be the reason..cuz many people who r living abroad think that they r somewhat superior ...i will give u an example ..few of my relative(AMIT)'s friends hv just done some stupid diploma and r working abroad as some data entry operators ..but they behave so condescendingly towards highly educated towards AMIT ..who is a damn IITan ..(though once he starts discussing the technical mumbo jumbo ..they start quivering :smash2:)
    so ..may be "those" indians r just reciprocating their feelings.

And, I actually beg to differ on the work-life balance point that you mention. In fact, when I was working in India, the corporate culture was of late sitting, almost everyone would be working till 8-9, almost seemed like all work, no family life. And, here in the US, I have hardly ever worked beyond 5 except during peak, busy times. I actually feel work-life balance is great in US and pretty bad in India.

=== thats ur personal experience and i m happy that uve good work life balance. but i can give u at least 5 examples of my friends/realatives whose working hours r a disaster ..they are at big positions (most r CEOs) in their office and even if they r at home on weekends ..they still bring lots n lots of work and they r on their comp , most of the time..the last time i visited a friend in seattle ..he used to work upto 12 in the night on saturdays and sundays ...so i dont think that all ppl abroad hv as realxed work load as u ..nor are all indians over burdened

I have heard that about Google, MS, yahoo, most big IT companies here. So, I am not sure I agree with your IITian friends in their choice of place. But, I do want to salute IITians everywhere, they for sure a smart bunch!

==i disagree .. well ..many IITans or other highly qualified people are not always after money..they r into research and development which may not bring that much money ..but they love their work and get job satisfaction..many great doctors hv left their highly paid job (after earning sufficient amnt) to work for underprivilege people.so it depends on what one calls a 'success'.
    anyway ..i just wanted to show u another paradigm...all the best to u:thumbsup:

anika987 likes this.
  5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Actually I loved to be in India but it is our destiny that we should come to USA. Yes I love my country, we are patriotic. After coming here USA too is a great nation.I got to see greatness of another country. Really I love here. But yes I here positives and negatives of USA from people.I smile what ever they say.

Mistt, anika987 and friendabc like this.
  6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Friendabc, I really like this discussion, it was really mentally stimulating. I see that your views are based on some of your friends experience who are IITians and CEOs and bigshots. You see why our views are different? Because your sample set is not representative enough of the Universe ! IITians & CEOs must be 1%or 2% of the Indian population. Also, if they are in R&D, they are probably like scientists who love to work 24X7 or if they are CEOs then definitely they are going to be working longer hours or till 12, because probably the company is their baby, maybe they are the founders. So, we can't apply such results to everyone, you agree? Pls let's talk about all junta! I think we should agree to disagree:)

Loved, loved this discussion though:grinning:

Jey, anika987 and Sandycandy like this.
  7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

It depends on whom to you ask! It is always greener on the other side.

Either way, have to work to make a living. Here, I enjoy my boredom life!

It is true, back home relatives give that weird look/nasty comments about us. Still I couldn't understand or follow the family politics, and their double faced behavior.

momsky, anika987 and sindmani like this.
  8. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Oh my God. You are still on this subject? If you are not careful, your obsession with India shall destroy you.

anika987 likes this.
  9. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

True. Freedom of being ourselves is there here in USA. But hamara Bharath Mahan thing sometimes crop up to me like homesick etc. Once I think about pollution, corruption etc I feel thank God I escaped. I was not entirely brought up in India but CBSE schools and Indians around ,national anthem fed patriotism in us. once I joined my college in India it was fine inside and felt that I should stay here and work for the nation etc. Soon when doing my PG I got married. Truth of the world around me came in to light. No proper drainage, inflation.we had to move out of India to improve our life. We did that. So I am greatful to USA for giving us good life. My parents are in Dubai now.my brother is moving abroad for studies .its like we r NRI family now . my sis in law is here in USA. Many of my side relatives are, my husband's side little here and few in Singapore,Australia .

anika987, Sandycandy and Sunshine04 like this.
  10. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

Every country has its own pros and cons. And it in on individual preference. I had lived in USA for good 4 years, worked as full time. Now in India since last 2 year, still working with same company as full time. For me, India is much better than USA because -
    1- I have my family near by..it is not exactly in same city but atleast they can travel at my place.
    2- Have household help to manage daily core. I dont need to worry that after going from office I have clean dishes or home or prepare lunch early morning etc. While in USA, I had to take care of this and it was always a tedious work for me after long working hrs.
    3- My kid has got a good friend circle which she was missing in USA. We were 10 indian families in my society in USA but being only north indian other kids were not considering her in their group. Since weather is also favorible in my city, she plays in park. In USA, her routine was home to day care and day care to home.
    4- We have got a good child care for my kids (6 yr and 2 yr) with same quality as USA. They are more flexible than USA day care. I had paid many time late fee in USA daycare as did not reach by 6:00 (it was always because of train delay). Here in India, i just call them in case of any delay and they happily get agree to stay.
    5- Work life balance is same for me and better for my husband.I work in IT company from 9 to 6 only. No one till now forced me stay beyond if I have finished my work. Some time I do work from home in night if needed. I had done same in USA as well.
    6- Traffic - I was working in NYC, travelling from central NJ. so it was same as India.1.5 hrs from my place to office and some time 2 hrs.
    7- Had faced racism in USA many times. I still remember my 1st week in USA..there was a empty seat next to one white couple in train. I was in formal wear and well dressed. When I asked them to move little (3 seat was occupied by 2 people) they gave me nasty look and didnt move. I requested them 3 times but they didn't respond. after 10-15 min, one white lady came and they moved to give her space. I had to stand for 1.5 hrs.

Not only me, even my daughter had face racism in her class. Even once her teacher told her you are brown skin and we are white. Their was another indian boy, she told her black skin. I was shocked after listening this from a teacher.

This is my personal experience. I can afford every thing in India which was not possible in USA. We are happier than USA, hence living in India is always better than living in USA or UK (was there for 1 yr) for me