1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Say 'no' Politely?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anivijay, Jun 12, 2017.

1. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Anupama, In all these years only once I sent my son to a friend's house for 2 hours as no daycare available that day and we both had meeting in morning. But I asked him and his wife many times they have any problem. . I invited them for dinner to show my gratitude.. I thought its nice for families to help each other when we have no relatives here...thats the reason I gone into this problem.

But this guy's attitude is totally different. He never got anything for my children. But I get something like biscuits / chocolates/ chips to that girl everyday to give her after school. She doesn't eat fruits as my children.. somedays she would bring something in a box and eat without sharing . All dramas going on...From the beginning I didn't give her dinner(except 2,3 times ).. we would have dinner once they left. He mentioned one day , she didn't eat dinner at their home as its very late. ..Dont know whether its hint that I should give dinner as well.

sindmani likes this.
  2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Indians rely too much on each other. Can't blame them because they grow up with lots of relatives, joint families et cetera. There is always somebody to help out. But, as situations change so should our approach. Become Western and self-sufficient. That is the only way to survive. Please cut-off relations with this couple completely.

deepthyanoop and anivijay like this.
  3. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Please do not feel guilty for not picking hints from his talks. I am surprised how that man has totally dumped the responsibility of the kids on you.

When you first offered to pick up and watch his children, please recall the exact words that you said to him. Also, did you specifically mention to him that its for N number of days or weeks or if you offered to watch his kids until his wife returns from India? You dont have to write the answer here. Its just to help you figure out how it all started and if he assumed that you were ok with taking care of the kids forever. He definitely seems to be a shameless leech. He probably is trying to save money by not looking for paid daycare centres for the kids and even worse, pay for airtickets to drop the kids off in India with his wife.

You are being too nice to him by trying to tell him in a proper manner. And you are expecting him to get something for you or your kids in return. Do not get into this business. I am sure if he gets a pack of chips or candy, he would expect you to watch his kids for a few more weeks or months.

Tell him on his face that you just learnt hpw strict the rules in the US are. And if he intends to make any alternate arrangements. Provide him with contact information of day care centres and nannies in your area, if you can. How long has he been living in the US? Have they moved to your place recently? Have they lived in other places in the US before moving to your city?
    Be a Roman when in Rome. My sincere advice would be to Follow the rules of the land.

sindmani and anivijay like this.
  4. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

No Elsa. I dont expect anything from him. The point is he never buy anything not even for courtesy and I am the one spending for his DD on top of being a childminder. But he said his DD went to sleep feeling hungry, trying to make me feel guilty. .which annoyed me..

5. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Its very obvious from the very fact that he has no courtesy, shame nor sense when he has dumpd his children on you. Why are you spending money on his kids? And why are you feeling guilty when he said that his kid has not eaten her dinner? Please do not. He is taking advantage of you.

sindmani, anivijay and Sandycandy like this.
  6. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

op..stop beating around the bush and coming up with excuses to him. You don't owe him any details.

Just tell him directly "I will not be able to take care of your child, please make other arrangements". The worst that can happen is they will unfriend u on fb & stop talking to you...its better not to have friends like this anywaz.

I don't know why indians play "I am really a nice person even if that kills me". get out of it op..not worth it

sindmani likes this.
  7. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, if you cannot say no in person send him a message that you will not be picking his DD anymore and he has to make alternative arrangement.. No need to give any explanation

Rihana, sindmani and anivijay like this.
  8. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks for all your suggestions. Told him l got a job and cant babysit anymore and he has to make alternate arrangements. He said his company is flexible and dont mind if he leaves early. Really dont understand why he troubled us in that case.

Day before yesterday that girl didn't come as I told them we had classes. But night 7.30 she knocked the door. This guy said he had to go for grocery shopping and dropped her at home and picked her up at 8.45. When I am staying alone this guy didn't even have courtesy to call me and ask permission before coming. Why couldn't they respect other's privacy? If he repeats again I àm going to be harsh..

Thanks
    Anitha

sindmani, Lithika and BhumiBabe like this.
  9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Wow, shameless. Please be harsh, because there is no way this guy is going to get it.

I feel bad for the kid, but it's his responsibility to take care of her, and you have no interaction with the mom. I can't believe there are people like this in the world.

sindmani and Bestmom like this.
  10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

why is the mom not coming back???