1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

H4 to h1b

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Mittai, Aug 17, 2012.

1. ankitalal

ankitalal New IL'ite

Hello ladies

This thread is indeed very informative!
    Just wanted to confirm couple of things-

1. Do I need to spend a minimum time staying in US as H4 before I apply for a transfer to H1? I shall be moving to US in Feb 1st week and am on H4. I was thinking of immediately starting the transfer process. Is that allowed?

2. If I apply for a job in a non-profit organization and they agree to be my sponsor, does the timeline of applications in April and approval in Oct still hold true? I guess I read somewhere here only in some comment that if its a NGO, I can start working immediately.

Please reply at the earliest.

Thanks!

2. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

Hi Ankita,

Answers to both your questions.

there is no minimum time to be spent in US before filing your H1 ( this is the right term for H1, you cannot transfer the visa on your own from h4 to h1 , yes only the employer who hires you and who is willing to sponsor should do this)
    Since you are arriving by feb 1st , you should find a job, apply for it , it should be in the state where you are going to live (if not willing for relocation) clear the interview and they will file your H1 april 1 st and if you are through the lottery (hopefully lottery this time too) and your petition gets approved, You can start working only from October 1 st 2014.

Your 2nd point

For Non-profit Organization you need not have an H1 visa, you can work on H4, it is like volunteering job, mostly in schools, libraries, hospitals and stuffs which might be quiet nice and interesting. If you get your H1 filed by April 2014 till oct you will be free and you can do some volunteering and enjoying time without getting bored. I did this last year.

Hope you are clear now.

1 person likes this.
  3. daydreamgirl

daydreamgirl Senior IL'ite

Hey Divya,

Do you mean you got your H1B sponsored by someone and you are working now?
    Could you please explain more about it. I am also on a H4 Visa and have been struggling to find a job for myself. Please educate us on how did you make if I have got your comment right!

Thanks in advance

4. ashram

ashram New IL'ite

Hi,

Does anyone in this thread got H1B. Could you please any consultancy