Do You Miss Your Mom's Cooking?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Amica, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

One of the sorrows of growing up is we don't often get to eat the favorite foods of our youth. We miss "Ma ke haath ka khana." Nothing ever tastes as good.

What favorite food from your childhood do you miss as an adult?

What dish did your mother/grandmother make that you wish you could eat now?

[​IMG]

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Do I miss ? Very very much ! Very vaguely I remember few dishes I loved that mom made - keerai kootu - her greens stayed fresh green colored. Also loved Veg pulav and her savories - Krishna would have a feast on Krishna Jayanthi! Had the opportunity to taste My grandma's cooking more than my mom's. Her bisibela bath with Aviyal, green chilli kozhambu , gonkura chutney were awesome.

Oh u r making me drool now.

3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

My Mom used to make the world's best aloo ka parathas. Yummy parathas stuffed to bursting with spicy, mashed potatoes enclosed in a crisp, paper-thin layer of dough. :yum:

All these years later, I have never found parathas as delicious as the ones she made. I've tried so hard to replicate them, but mine just don't look or taste anything like hers.

When I've had a rough day, this is the comfort food I miss most. :blush:

kaniths, Sparkle and jskls like this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

You're making me hungry! I remember the feast for Krishna Jayanthi, too. :yum:

We are incurable foodies. :lol:

jskls likes this.
  5. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

My mom is not the greatest cook- but when she cooks to please--- jeez it's just out of the world. It's not too spicy, everything is very mild but very flavorful.
    I miss my moms veg pulao, bisibelebath, vangibath and more of all kaal saaru!! Oh god can not recreate certain dishes!
    Last year when she was visiting- she cooked awesome puri's that my DH ate like 15 per meal time. I never knew my moms cooking would be loved.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Amica likes this.
  6. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

My mother hated cooking, and could barely make the necessities- rice, dal etc
    But sometimes, she tried out of love for her children to make something, and it turned out delicious.
    We, children will be jumping around like puppies in anticipation and admiration of our mother.
    Her sambar was very healthy and out of this world. She made some killer idlis - second to none.
    She tried dhokla- just for me- from scratch and again, it was just awesome.
    Her poha was always great and aaloo paratha too.
    I helped her a lot in kitchen, so learned cooking early on. She is a very educated women- science graduate- as they called it back then, and also she went to Montessori kind of school run by all western educators, so she put a lot of thought in cooking "the healthy way". She always knew what was healthy.
    She told us in 80s only that grilled meat is carcinogen and actually, too much of grilled food is bad.
    So, I carry a wealth of knowledge with me, walking around with a big head and a big tummy - yearning for some ma ke hath ka khana....

7. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

Your Mother's knowledge is Impressive.. There is a tamil proverb "Unave marundhu, marundhe unavu" which has more or less the meaning " Food is medicine and medicine is food"
    Please share your wealth of knowledge with us, so that it will spread and more ppl can gain form you.. :worship2:

Vaikuntha and Tharun1985 like this.
  8. MehulAtharvMom

MehulAtharvMom Gold IL'ite

Beautiful Thread @Amica,

I miss the food my mummy make. The taste itself is different.
    Especially sweets that too gulab jamun, malpua, shakarpara, donuts, gujhiya, coconut laddu with sugar and jagerry both, list is very very long.

Yummy Kofta curry.
    Whenever I get time I try my hand on sweets.

Mouth watering while writing remembering my childhood.

Amica likes this.
  9. jeyanthi23

jeyanthi23 New IL'ite

i am missing my mom's food after marriage

Amica likes this.
  10. latharamesh1964

latharamesh1964 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Amica,

Beautiful thread. Instantly reminded me of my mother. She was an excellent cook. Her just one sambar with onions & tomotoes (we used to call it as plain sambhar) and an Aloo/Yam/Cauliflower Curry with rice used to be heavenly. The list would be endless. The items prepared on a festival day (10-12 items easily - all veg) - yummy. She had gifted hand - never ever anything would go wrong in her cooking. The taste would never change if the quantity increases/decreases. Managing everything manually without any gadgets. she would be multi-tasking so quitely (stitching - cooking - managing five of us) in a poised manner. Eventhough, i try to follow her in everything, not everytime, i am successful. I still wonder how she was managing ? Miss her a lot.

Latha

Amica likes this.