1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Moral Policing!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by beautifullife30, Sep 2, 2016.

1. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Yesterday, I was watching Aditya channel with my kids during dinner. In a span of half hour, I can bet that the Durex condom ad featured as many as 10 times. :scream::sconf:

The ad features a couple doing intimate stuff, which 15 years ago, I would have staked my own soul to just have a peek. Now, as a mom, with 2 kids aged 5 and 3.5 – who have taken to question everything under the sun :facepalm:- the ad seems more like a nightmare :yikes:. Just a couple of more times and I am sure my elder one will start humming along with the tune! :facepalm: :BangHead::BangHead:

Well I agree that every seller needs advertisement for his product. I am sure any kid from grade 7 these days knows and understands what a condom is for, thanks to the internet! But why show it with so much extra stuff!

At this rate, the only channels which I can sit and watch with my kids seem to be the cartoon ones :grazy:. The movies are way out of question these days. There is not a single movie these days we can sit and watch as a family! After back-to-back Civil war, Captain America, Jungle Book, Angry Birds…. I have literally begged off the movies. :crybaby2::crybaby2:

While the netas on one hand are shouting about the skirt length of a lady, why is nobody talking about the programs and ads that are slowing poisoning the kids' minds.

A while ago, I posted a link about Nescafe ad which I liked. I was happy that my kids loved it too! It is only later I realized the actual reason for their liking. Every time the ad featured, my mom started her muttering and that prompted my kids to watch the ad with more interest. Lesson learnt. I was literally in a fix yesterday, while the ad was featuring. I am sure had I mentioned something about it, my kids would surely stick around the TV the next time it airs. In the end, I did the only thing I could do, switch off the TV. But for how long do I keep it off!

I have already spoken a few dos and don'ts to my elder son. I am wondering if I should take the talk to the next level now. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

KashmirFlower, vaidehi71 and Caide like this.

2. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

yeah it happens even i feel awkward while watching movie with my parents all of sudden intimate scenes or ads pop out from no where and yeah its difficult but you can change channel when ever you feel uncomfortable but as for me all starts to know everything from childhood... when we were young we have no idea about certain things till we learnt it in our science books in 10,11 and 12th standard and even infatuation started just bcz co-ed is rare... but thats not so nowadays children understands everything soon and infactuation is like part of life for them at times i am glad that guys started to understand how women feels but still i think 5 and 3.5 is very young to know all this

beautifullife30 and vaidehi71 like this.
  3. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Why even cartoon channels nowadays have ads with crossdressing and ads for hindi serials which are not age appropriate for the cartoon watchers. The TV is a medium of slow poisoning the innocent minds with the adult content and of course our reaction to it intrigues the innocent minds as to why they cannot watch it if big people can.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  4. beautifullife30

Yeah...I agree during our teens, we are aware of certain things and know that it is not really easy to watch these with parents.

What about kids? How do I stop them from watching these nonsense and ask me questions?

You wont believe this...but my younger one was 2.5 when the movie 'Bang Bang' released and there is a song in which Katrina dances sexily in a one piece in water, when that ad was playing in youtube, my LO promptly told me 'amma, akka is getting wet in water. Ask her to come out of it'.

Caide likes this.
  5. beautifullife30

oh is it! I haven't come across any ads in cartoon channels yet! goodness! this makes me want to run home and check on them now!

Caide likes this.
  6. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

yeah meherbaan song i remember .... just change channel no other go but sis they are kids as you are saying they are unaware of things like this and we cant do anything about movies or ad either they want money and they are doing stuffs like this dont worry kids grow one day and will understand everything and if he asks anything try to answer politely because if you didnt answer he may go and ask ques to someone else say to him this is not good and change topic to something else ... because kids if we advise and scold a lot their interest may get forwarded to it

7. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

yeah even cartoons have scenes like that sis cant avoid