1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Make 3 Years Old Dd To Eat

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by BuviVishal, May 12, 2016.

1. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

Hey friends,

My 3 years old daughter activities are changing a lot day by day. She is stopped eating by herself, unable to divert her while feeding. She is more stubben. I used to shout her many times for not drinking water,milk and food. From last week she shouting me back with louder voice. I know she is doing as like me.

She is not showing interest on food. How do I encourage her for eating. I lossed my passion. Beating her often. I know it's not a good parenting but i don't know how to make her to understand.

From morning milk,water fruits food snacks I need to force her. How long I can do this? Earlier she obeyed and had all these. After third birthday she is changing totally.
    Since me and th only taking care her alone I more frustrated. Sometimes I am thinking to move on back to india. From.september onwards she should goto kindergarten

Mommies please help me out. How do control myself ? Guide me for good parenting

My friends are suggesting to induce hunger give a tonic. But I don't like to give medicines. I won't give medicines fir anything unless its serious. If fever comes after third day it will go out. For cold used to give kasayam. I asked dr about her weight gaining he said she is perfect. I

How to make her to ask food???

Sorry for the lengthy post...

Thanks in advance

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Op,
    Do not hot or yell at your child. Try to control yourself. If suddenly getting frustrated, take a break from what you are doing and step away.
    To feed your child, try to read to her or talk to her and feed her. Looks like she is high maintenance kid like mine. She was entertainment and then she will eat.
    Save screen time + eating for days when you are absolutely tired and frustrated. Try not to make a habit.
    Does she like sit out and eat? eat in the playgrond? or in mall?
    Where ever she does better, take her there atleast once a week.
    Make each bite count, so give things like ghee, calorie dense things on days she very distracted
    Calorie dense are things like indian sweets, ice cream, wheat puri
    Nutrition dense are things like broccoli, fruits, good stuff that is healthy

Whole wheat puri fried in ghee or light olive oil is good choice, keep few numbers in fridge and microwave for 10 sec and give

Homemade indian sweet is good too

scrambled egg with cheese, if she eats

pasteurized cheese that has lot of calories

home made apple sauce- pressure cook apple

Banana

yo baby yogurt

overcooked rice with ghee

Cool10 and BuviVishal like this.
  3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Yelling makes kids heart break. Hitting is equally or more serious. As long as it happens, ur kid won't cooperate.

Take her to ur arms and hug and kiss often and tell her in very soft almost hush hush voice to come with you to eat. All family eat together , so she feels like eating. Fixed time also important Like 5:30 or 6:00 .

Mine also 3 year old, he is not picky eater etc, some days ago first time, he himself asked for food( rice type) with crying voice as he was hungry. So they ask if they r hungry.

Junk food kills appetite, see if that is a cause, give yogurt , fruit, boiled sprouts, egg, as snack,

If food is spice or hot because of chilies they can't eat much but drink water and it may make their sensitive stomachs irritable or uncomfortable.

If she doesn't eat it is ok she will be hungry next time and will eat. That is not doing any harm to her , but yelling for not eating is harmful for her long time, to reverse that yelling effect u may need to work several weeks, some times months.

Take her more to outside like park and local city events like food trucks and some earth day etc, so she can feel good, indoors kids won't thrive they get bored.

Library, park, local events, some petting zoo, eating out once in a week or two, play dates , outdoor play in mud or sand , inside playing near sink with washing dishes or her toys, wiping and scrubbing coffee tables with wet cloth all are interesting to my kid.

Peaceful parent and happy kids

Look for this book in Amazon , if possible take audible book , it is more easy and fast to complete the book, and effective on our minds. It helped me with my kid

Today I am going through strong willed kid discipline methods, where it tells they dont listen till u , parent, won't set some consequences for not following your rules etc stuff. If u think ur kid is strong willed stubborn type , u may want to adopt that style

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Vaikuntha and BuviVishal like this.
  4. Gaiya3

Gaiya3 Gold IL'ite

Dont worry. Try not to force feed. I know its hard. Read books or say stories. Here docs advice to put food away after 20 minutes. First meal of the day should be healthy one. If milk is making her loose appetite try making her eat breakfast first and let her have milk after sonetime.

Give varieties and be creative too. Make stuffed or boil/ grind veggies and mix it with chappati flour and make different colored chappatis/paraathas. I have tried spinach, carrots, beets, peas, potatoes individually. Try making alphabet dosas or sandwich idlies (Spread different colored chutneys like red pepper chutney or mint chutney inbetween ). I have avoided processed foods. Porridge is also good for breakfast. Try date cakes or date/nut rolls etc (hope she is not allergic). Dry fruits are healthy and tasty too. Let her get hungry and eat together with her.

Some kids eat only around 5-6 years and some dont eat properly until 10 years too. So as long as she is not snacking frequently dont worry too much. Sometimes its just a phase and will get better soon.

BuviVishal likes this.
  5. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

@hermitcrab

Thanks for the reply in detail. He wont rat at all in outside. Whenever we went to trip she not at all touch the foods /water. Snacks aswell. Even she is not eating chocolates too more than 2. Kids will have more their favourites na. But she didn't .

In egg she won't like yolk. So mostly I made omblette that too plain with little pepper.

They won't touch sweets.

Since she doesn't like water I am giving a jeera water daily.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  6. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

@KashmirFlower

Thanks dear for your detailed explanation. I am living in germany. Me and th only taking care. Let me try the way which u said.

How much that book cost?

7. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

@Gaiya3

Thanks dear for your reply yeah your idea is good since she likes chapathi I can make with variety in colour as u said.

Will make dosa as you said . Let me try and will tell the result.

Gaiya3 likes this.
  8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi @BuviVishal

I should say I have passed/passing through the same phase as you are.I am able to understand your situation better..I too took her to the doctor and people around asked me to check for tonics/kashayams what not when she was 2/3 years old..eventhough I too am not interested in them,I did check with the doc who said "I can give you some tonic namesake but ideally it might not work as expected"..and doctor said your daughter is perfectly fine and asked us to keep trying different foods..I did a lot,everyday was still a war..making designer dosas/chappatis/variety foods etc etc
    Also, DD eventhough doesnt show interest in food,when gets hungry becomes very cranky and we find it hard to make her understand that its all because of hunger
    we came to a situation wherein we felt,even if she has snacks/junk food,we are fine ..we just wanted her to eat..but she avoided all those as well

So at last when she was 5 years, completely got drained and I gave the complete responsibility to my hubby..she is scared when he scolds her..sometimes I would feel bad when he scolds..she did play lot of tantrums,like as if she is going to vomit,non stop cries etc..i just turned deaf and never went near them even when she has milk..but ultimately after 5-6 months,we found a change..she started eating atleast what was there on the plate..we still have wars everyday at home,its different when hubby is at home and when he is not but her food habits have become much better..it takes a lot of time for her to eat but yes she is eating..touchwood..

So I can say,keep trying..give her whatever all eat at home,i would not recommend trying different types of food made especially for her because ultimately she has to eat what the family eats,we cannot keep cooking different foods for the kid..it would become too much when she grows ..also try to give the responsibility of making her eat to a person of whom she is scared of..and do not go to them while she is eating..since she is with you the whole day,she might not have any fear towards you and might take you for granted

Thats what I could say based on my personal experience..all the best

shobhamma, Vaikuntha and BuviVishal like this.
  9. shrivni

shrivni Silver IL'ite

Dear, MY DD is 3.7 yrs now and I faced the same what you are facing now.

I took her to my ground daily and played with her...made her play also, solid for 1 hour. Will take only water with me with no snacks. Once we return, will make her colorful, designer dosas, Alphebetical Dosa, Flower Dosa, Peacock Dosa, Poori's in different shapes, different color rice, everything...and will keep in front of her...Will then ask her to name the shapes and eat. At times will have competition with her on who is finishing off their share first.

Very tiring only....that too after office hours, but no other go, we need to feed them. There are times when she completely refuses to eat anything even after giving all these. Will try with Fruits then or even Ice Creams.

This routine continued nearly for 3 - 4 months, after she started eating quiet OK. Now shez alryt and she asks for food. Touch Wood! Just Another phase of mother hood.

Don't be frustrated, things will change gradually.

All the Best Dear!

BuviVishal likes this.
  10. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

STOP running behind her and screaming and worse of all beating (If you beat your child in the U.S or Europe, especially over feeding issues), you run the risk of having your child taken away from you by the government. DO NOT use fear to get her to eat. Do not bribe, threaten, or scold. All children (barring any medial condition) have an inborn appetite and a limit to how much they can eat to fill their tummy. Drop the drama, sit down with her. Give her food that she prefers and let her eat as little or as much as she wants within half an hour. No distractions. No forcing. No bribing. No threatening and worst of all, NO BEATING. My daughter is 5 and has been feeding herself finger food since 8 months and with a spoon since 15 months. She doesn't always finish up and I never forced her to. She is on the lower end of normal weight and I accept that. The more drama and forcing you put behind meal time, the less she will eat and the more she will hate food I also have an almost 6 month old son that I'm BFing on demand now and also feed rice cereal 2x a day. I'm starting him BLW for solids soon and I find this force feeding thing cruel.

shobhamma, Vaikuntha and BuviVishal like this.