1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Broke!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, May 31, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Chandru stretched his arms tired, after a long duel with math. He had done 3 exercises in full, and it took him 90 minutes. "Not bad!", he said to himself. He was very particular about getting good marks and hence a seat in the best engineering college in the city. He did not like the idea of buying a seat and his father could not afford that. And at that moment, his father was preparing a hot cup of tea, though it was late in the night.

Chandru never exerted so much in his life till then and wanted to prove to himself and others that he could get a centum in maths and could get as much closer in physics as well. His father had high hopes on him too and said, "You should be the first engineer in our family, dear! Thats just one of my dreams!". Chandru did not shiver even once and was confident of reaching there.

The exams came and went and in math exam, 20 marks were to be allotted to those who attempted a few out of syllabus questions. Chandru felt a bit less interested, as he chose the alternatives which were well within the syllabus. And he did other exams well. The day came and the results were declared. Chandru got good marks in all subjects except math where he was 50 short of 200. Unable to accept it, he thought that there was something wrong in totalling so applied for a revaluation, though he was now unsure of himself. His dad was with him through and through and urged him to be confident.

Since he got less marks than required for his 'community', he never had a chance to get a BE seat in the college he liked and was disappointed to wait for a long time even to know whether he would get a BE seat in some college at least. Meanwhile his dad received the result of the revaluation of his math paper. There was no change.

"Damn! You should have done better!", his father said and quickly left, leaving Chandru to reel.

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Hi Rgs
    Nice one.A typical scenario of luck playing traunt on the hardworking chandru.
    May be he should have gone ahead and attempted the out of syllabus q's.( smart thinking??:))
    I feel the dad's opinion is justified.

regards
    honeybee

3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Can identify with the character Chandru ....but the only diffrence is i was preparing for my MBBS entrance exams which i could not get through and then dropped the idea and turned into an engineer instead ......life....:)

Everyone in the family had high hopes pinned on me...that i will be the first doctor in the family...so when i couldnot get through MBBS people thought i "compromised" and joined for a BE course...hihihi....
    So i can understand what chandru must have gone through ....and yes if the family doesnt support in such bad times then tough times only get tougher....

4. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your first feedback and appreciation Honeybee. Yes, it happens sometimes. And it takes quite sometime to come out of it too. But life doesn't end with one such thing. Isn't it? In this case, Chandru's father did not give up until the revaluation results came, while Chandru was not sure even while the results were published. And the rude shock that his father gave up, hit him later and made him feel sad [that he had failed his father's expectation too]. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

So sad to see that you missed out on MBBS, Dinny! [sorry for getting the name wrong here as Charmbabez] . But I also see that you are out of it now. And I like that too. One victory may make you feel giddy so you lose the track.
    One failure may keep you focussed on anything after that. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

sorry..but i am Dinny :)

very true...i have realised that through experiences...
    keep writing Rgs :thumbsup:

7. rgsrinivasan

Oops! Very sorry Dinny.
    I made a huge mistake there. Thanks for being gentle.
    And yes, I'll remember this. :)
    -rgs

8. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Akila, for your appreciation. -rgs