1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My dislike for “Like”

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PujaInk, Mar 4, 2013.

1. PujaInk

PujaInk Bronze IL'ite

Finest Blog Entry for March 2013

[JUSTIFY]First, let me get over with the mundane bits. For all my eccentricities, I hold a deep belief in a higher power. I also profess more than a passing interest in the supernatural and the quirky, and hold that the sharing of information and laughs are among the greatest pluses of social media. I love my family and can’t live without my friends, and I have a closet fascination for syrupy lyrics. I am also a weepy romantic, I get goose bumps every time the national anthem is played, and I can unabashedly coo at dogs.

Yet it roils me when I am called upon to prove (or disprove) these credentials on FB. Why must I, for instance, submit to the threat of a calamity and like the pictures of God, Goddesses or (worse still) Godmen? Why must I share every dubious post on a promised miracle of unknown origins? Why must the future of my earthly life depend on “not breaking the chain” of goodwill/prayer/blessings or whatever crap it is that my FB friends are favouring? Why must I measure any social good that I can do by adding to the number of likes a page claiming to uphold a worthy cause of the day can garner? Why must I post a “I love you Mom/Dad/Brother/Dog/Cat” link on my wall to prove that I really do? Why must I passively hit “Like” every time a post on the courage of our army and the many failures of our government shows up? Why must I this? Why must I that?

I have a reasonable distaste for dictation but will happily yield to logic. I am also convinced that most of black or white solutions and suppositions thrown up on social media are just that—one tone. The infantile world of Facebook injunctions created by friends, and by friends of friends leaves no room for reason. At one time, I would respond to posts of the slightly logical variety (such as that which created panic about the company’s misuse of personal data or another one on the safety measure of reverse ATM pin technology), but when these were re discovered and re posted by freshly alarmed friends, I gave up.

This mix of misinformation and mindlessness—less droll more drivel, is the social media version of fear mongering. It is one step removed from the “idol drinking milk” kind of mass hysteria of the past. Only a more armchair and keyboard version of it. While it might not make governments squirm, it is irritation inducing. And the many cobwebbed permutations of friends, followers, acquaintances, subscribers and friends of friends make it impossible to get rid of it in a single click.

I suspect if there was a functional “Dislike” button on FB, it would get more hits than the facile “Like”. Ironically however, even applications which promise (but never deliver) a “Dislike” button are headed by a “like” button.

I hear of a recent lawsuit brought against FB for nixing the “Like” button from a Dutch programmer who had patented and promoted it on a fledging social network of his own, but who died some time before FB came into existence. If that were to be proved and FB forced to yank the button from its page, I would definitely hit ‘Like’.

[/JUSTIFY]

2. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

My Feelings exactly.. Its not that people would actually want like and share such posts , its more of joining the bandwagon than anything else.
    I for one ONLY share or like a post if I genuinely like it and not because a friend of mine liked it.

3. PujaInk

PujaInk Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for dropping by.
    I fail to understand the logic of trying fear or shame (share within 5 minutes or something bad will happen/don't ignore, save a child's life) to draw attention. As you say, it is a bandwagon.

4. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

And here is a LIKE for your dislike of LIKE :rotfl

5. PujaInk

PujaInk Bronze IL'ite

:thumbsup

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on winning the March 2013 blog of the month contest;
    I saw your blog marked there and came to "like" or not;
    Now you are talking about Facebook a online site that I adore. Absolutely. Also I just love using the Like feature so much. I wish there were more "love", "adore" and such buttons too!
    And for me nothing to "dislike" coz I have set up my facebook world LIKE so:)

7. bhagyachinu

bhagyachinu Gold IL'ite

Hmmm... really! i thought i will hit the like button beneath your blog.... but then :D.
    i just peep in facebook and come out - can't tolerate it for more than 1 minute.

8. RuchitaParat

RuchitaParat Senior IL'ite

Great post Puja. You truly deserve the merit. I completely agree with you and relate to everything you have said about FB. I find that 'share it immediately or else' stuff humurous and pity people who have so much free time in life to indulge in these kind of things. Anyways, loved reading your blog. Keep writing.

9. monikalee

monikalee Guest

I have a reasonable distaste for dictation but will happily yield to logic. I am also convinced that most of black or white solutions and suppositions thrown up on social media are just that—one tone. The infantile world of Facebook injunctions created by friends, and by friends of friends leaves no room for reason. At one time, I would respond to posts of the slightly logical variety (such as that which created panic about the company’s misuse of personal data or another one on the safety measure of reverse ATM pin technology), but when these were re discovered and re posted by freshly alarmed friends, I gave up.

10. PujaInk

PujaInk Bronze IL'ite

I almost instinctively hit the 'Like' button on that one! FB is a boon, no doubt about that. Just that I hope that some seriousness should be applied to its use. Even fun is serious business!