1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Scare!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Mar 1, 2013.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]
    It had been a particularly tiring day with a five-hour marathon client meeting, long travel, and loads of work that had left me feeling totally drained. I shuffled along the walkway wishing I was already in bed sleeping. It was a little late and though safe, it wasn’t brightly lit either. There were hardly few people out and about and I wished for the umpteen time that I was one of the majority nicely tucked in bed. Along the way I noticed a slim young lady in a short figure-hugging dress and impractical high-heels and a cute little handbag walking ahead of me. I wondered if I had this little to carry around I might walk as briskly as her (yeah! I do mean my extra weight plus the super-heavy laptop which seemed to be getting heavier by the minute).

She must have heard my lumbering gait as I tried to drag myself one foot at a time. She tilted her head slightly a few times as if to listen but never turned around to look. She quickened her steps and I was sorry for having scared her, but I did not have the strength to give a reassuring shout (that would have scared her even more!).

I just carried on until I saw her standing near the foot of an overbridge fumbling for something in her bag. As I was about to pass her, I saw her take out a slim mobile and at that exact same instant I had the loudest possible sneeze scaring the life out of the girl! She nearly dropped her bag and phone, her dyed-blond hair flew all around as she doubled over sideways to avoid me.

By now I was few steps up the bridge and she had moved into the shadows of the steps, so I couldn’t apologize to her. I moved on feeling sorry for having scared the girl, she could have broken an ankle if she had fallen off those spiky shoes!! But for some unexplainable reason, suddenly the whole thing seemed very funny and I started smiling like an idiot and even started laughing softly. I was still smiling away when the same girl overtook me on the bridge and gave me the dirtiest possible look as she climbed down the stairs. There was no way I could explain what had made me laugh… hell! I can’t explain it to myself let alone her!

I felt bad for having laughed and making it look as if I had intentionally scared her. I was too tired to even think coherently let alone pull a prank on a complete stranger! For crying out loud, I am a person who criticizes ‘Just of Laugh’ and ‘AFV’ when they scare unsuspecting strangers! When the whole family laughs, I shake my head thinking ‘what if the old lady had a heart condition!’ and now here I was portraying myself as a prankster who did not even have the manners to keep her mouth shut!:hide:

Well! since there was nothing to be done, I just went home and related the whole incident to my DH who had a hearty laugh!! :bonk
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I think its inherent in us to laugh at others' expense too, at times, though we know that its wrong. Nicely written Akila. Thanks. -rgs

3. AkilaMani

Hi rgs,

Thanks for such a quick fb and the appreciation :) Yes, it true we laugh at others though we known that its worng.

thanks again.

Akila

4. sanrags

sanrags Bronze IL'ite

you should see me, i find these things funny too, dont know why. :)

5. mayavindra

mayavindra Silver IL'ite

I have seen my daughter do this many times.Whenever I try to tell her that it is not fair,she asks me why is it so and also questions me back asking if I had ever done it?Hmmm!!! that makes me confess(hey after all we are human)

Ramya

6. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

very well written akila...

7. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

Dear Akila

Am just imagining the situation & laughing. Poor lady.

BTW, nicely written Akila

8. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

9. AkilaMani

:) Sanrags, it is but natural to find such things funny... I too laugh my heart out when i see these funny stuff on TV, but I do not like it when seniors are frightened in the name of fun.

Thanks for stepping in dear. - Akila

10. AkilaMani

Hi Ramya,

You should see my kids... they beg to watch a 10 mins of AFV before going to bed and they (including my DH) create such a racket that i am afraid that my neibhours are going to complain:spin

Thanks for stepping in dear :)
    Akila