1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I am ASHAMED

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by senzzation, Jan 20, 2013.

1. senzzation

senzzation New IL'ite

I am, maybe, one of the few people who did not put a black dot instead of my profile picture on Facebook (the social networking site) to show that I am ashamed at the heinous crime committed against Nirbhaya. I did not do it because this is not the ONLY thing that I am ashamed of and here are just a few other things that I am ashamed of that I can recall at the moment.

1. I am ashamed to hear reports of cases where young girls are raped by their own fathers or brothers.

2. I am even more ashamed of that mother who stands by & allows it to happen.

3. I am ashamed to know that my country is unsafe for women foreign travelers.

4. I am ashamed when I hear commoners, politicians & religious “scholars”, saying that a girl is responsible for her own rape because of the way she dresses or behaves.

5. I am ashamed that we are scared of helping victims of road accidents for fear of being persecuted by the police.

6. I am ashamed to see caste / community based politics being played in my country.

7. I am ashamed of parents who urge their daughters to “adjust” with their husbands and in-laws despite knowing the trauma that the daughters are going through & later have to mourn her death.

8. I am ashamed of “educated” women who misuse the law against domestic violence (498a).

9. I am ashamed that when a young boy shows interest in cooking, his supposedly educated family comments, “why ? are you a girl ?”

10. I am ashamed to admit that when I was 12 or 13, I saw my cousin (same age as me) being molested in a crowded bus by a decent-looking man in his mid 20s & I couldn’t summon the courage to scream & alert others.

2. suby

suby Silver IL'ite

Dear senzzation,

I think if we make a list, it will never end. What to do, we have to carry on shamelessly. You have brought out the anguish very correctly.

-suby

3. preethifirst

preethifirst New IL'ite

The change should come in each and every citizen of our country....

4. naras229

naras229 New IL'ite

We cannot but cry over all the bad things happening in our country. The majority of people are apathetic to the happenings around them, feeling rather helpless against the society in general.

5. senzzation

senzzation New IL'ite

Thanks to all of you who read this post & felt the same way as me. Thanks for your feedback.