1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just Once!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Sep 12, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

It was a gala occasion and there were festoons everywhere. Seated in a corner was one of the security guards called Harilal. He was old, single and thin, but very alert too. Nobody paid him much notice, but he didn't care. It was a marriage occasion. He was asked to follow the procession where the groom was mounted on a horse. Now that it was over, he was resting till the food was served. Just then, an announcement came, which shook him. "The Magic show is about to begin and....". He did not hear further, but walked quickly to the hall where it was scheduled to happen.

And stood in a corner all the time when the show was on. The magician was young and charismatic and was smart to make people to participate in it more. Harilal recollected those days when he practised magic. He was addicted to it after seeing a show by a renowned magician named Jaikishen and begged him to teach magic. Pitying the orphan boy, Jaikishen agreed and treated him dear, allowing him to stay in the out-house, with servants. Seeing Jaikishen's lovely daughter Anu, Harilal had a wish. He fervently believed that it would happen too. One day, Jaikishen was very happy after seeing Harilal's performance and said, "I assure you now! I will give you a rare opportunity one day, if only you show the same passion and work harder!".

Harilal dreamt of that all along. Jaikishen went for a tour leaving Harilal that time and was about to return in 2 months time. While practising for hours on a difficult part, Harilal received a letter. Surprised [for that was the first letter addressed to him], he opened it and was elated in the beginning to see that it was written by Jaikishen. But his face fell after reading further. The content that was further found was: "As promised earlier, I like you to perform in Anu's wedding scheduled to happen on....".

p.s.1 - Harilal did that show and quit immediately after that.
    p.s.2 - He didn't know that it was Anu's son who was performing then.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Thats indeed sad RGS....

3. rgsrinivasan

Yes, it was. But Harilal was to be blamed for expecting too much. Thanks for your first feedbakc Pallavi. -rgs

4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

RGS... i too felt the same, Harilal made his life this way, no one else. Expectations apart, when the reality stuck he could have tried to accept it and move on rather than leaving his passion halfway.

On reading, it reminded me of "salangai oli" Kamal

5. rgsrinivasan

I agree to your view Pallavi. But I differ in the example you quoted. Kamal's character is that of recklessly abandoning itself, as there was no point in life worth living for [according to that character]. Devadas is another example - where the hero sees Paru suffering and could not take the guilt out of him. Thanks for your nice feedback. -rgs

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

RGS dear can understand Harilal's feelings

7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Viji Madam, for your feedback. Sorry, for making it sadder this time. -rgs

8. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

9. Ramvenks

Ramvenks New IL'ite

Ramvenks
    That is the problem of letting mind run wild.
    If wishes were horses then Beggars might ride!

Ramaa

10. rgsrinivasan

Very nice quotes those Sunitha. And to admit, I was surprised to see you responding to a sad post. :)
    As usual, your feedback was top class. Thanks. -rgs